Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Getting ready to order

Hi all, I am new to the forum and hopefully soon a new Forester owner. I have to compliment everyone on a great, information packed and supportive forum. This is really something special.

I'm hoping you can help me as I finalize my build sheet on a 3171ds. There are a few things that I'd like but I'm unsure if they are available.
  • Larger traditional split sink instead of round
  • MCD shades (or equivalent) with both day and night
  • Frameless windows
  • Full-size queen upgraded mattress, will an 80" not fit? Specs show 74"
  • Is there a different sofa option. Compared to the Leprechaun, I personally found the sofa to be less-comfortable. A sofa recliner would be great like the FR3 has.
  • Are there any other unwritten options that I might want to be aware of?

I'm unsure about going with the Front Entertainment Center with split twin bunks. For anyone that has this option, I'm curious to know your feedback? I can't seem to find the dimensions of the twin beds. And for those of you with children or grandchildren, have they been able to climb the ladder positioned in the middle to get in and out of bed easily (without putting fingerprints all over the tv).

Thanks in advance!
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
WFD

Many a trailer come with the standard 74inch Queen short they call them. Often as you get into a bigger model, they go with the traditional home style 80 inch. Having said that, 2 things come into play. Many, many mattresses coming from the manufacturer are nothing but garbage. You have this beautiful nice new trailer and have to sleep on this awful mattress. I replaced one once before it was ever slept on, when I took it outside, the daylight shone right through it! Went to a mattress manufacturer and bought a good quality mattress. Depending on your trailer configuration, a residential 80 inch may fit no problem. You'll have to measure how much room you have to get around the bed. If you have to or want to stay with the 74inch Queen short, most RV dealers carry higher quality RV mattresses. Some in the forum here have simply added memory foam toppers etc...I am sure some of them will chime in shortly.
Many RV manufacturers don't have a ton of options for you to deviate from, some you just have to do on your own after the fact, as in sofas.
Frameless windows are for sure an option on many trailers, we have it on our Rockwood, not sure all manufacturers and models offer it though. They are becoming increasingly popular.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

I oppted for the entertainment center,42" tv nice side cabinets for storage, just me and my ladyfried no need for upper bunk and it really looks cool.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Yeah, I saw that. The picture look really nice. I need the beds for the kiddos.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Then you can go for th bedroom tv option and leave the other tv for the kiddies
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
  • Larger traditional split sink instead of round
  • MCD shades (or equivalent) with both day and night
  • Frameless windows
  • Full-size queen upgraded mattress, will an 80" not fit? Specs show 74"
  • Is there a different sofa option. Compared to the Leprechaun, I personally found the sofa to be less-comfortable. A sofa recliner would be great like the FR3 has.
  • Are there any other unwritten options that I might want to be aware of?

I'm unsure about going with the Front Entertainment Center with split twin bunks. For anyone that has this option, I'm curious to know your feedback? I can't seem to find the dimensions of the twin beds. And for those of you with children or grandchildren, have they been able to climb the ladder positioned in the middle to get in and out of bed easily (without putting fingerprints all over the tv).

Thanks in advance!
1. No dual sink available. When we went to the Atwood water heater it is taller and does not allow the installation of the double sink.
2. No option for MCD shades at this time. We are working on that, but you can always order them directly from MCD in the meantime. Even then, we only have an option for the black out shades. The tinted windows seem to be fine during the day for privacy.
3. No option for frameless windows yet. Well look at this going forward, but as of now we only offer it on GTS and MBS models.
4. Queen is a 75" ish. The bed only has so much room when the slide comes in. My suggestion is to get a 6" piece of foam for the head of the bed. (pillow is there anyway). That way when the slide has to come in you can just take that out. otherwise an 80" bed would get scrunched by the slide.
5. We buy our furniture from the same supplier. No sofa recliner, that is a different supplier. I think you're better off with an ottoman. I don't like how the recliner sofa sits. The back does not recline...so you are sitting straight up in the back with your legs extended (hits my right in the middle of the calf if I try and scoot forward).
Front Twin beds measure about 27" wide by 63" long. I've watched kids at shows climb up there time after time with no issues.

As for the other poster talking about the crappy beds...My suggestion is go with our Serta upgrade. It is a very nice mattress and has memory foam built in.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Average Joe

I second the Serta upgrade. Very comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

I also agree on the upgraded mattress . The incremental cost is very small and it makes a world of difference.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the forester come with the upgraded mattress versus the sunseeker?
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Commercial Member

correct.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Just wanted to verify the information I saw here -

Sunseeker vs Forester
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm debating on holding off until the frameless windows make their appearance. I've heard more positive than negative on these and they seem to be becoming the de facto standard.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm debating on holding off until the frameless windows make their appearance. I've heard more positive than negative on these and they seem to be becoming the de facto standard.
Brian, are these Frameless windows in development for the Sunseeker and/or Forester in the not too distant future? Or would we be waiting for something that is not going to happen?
Thanks
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Commercial Member

We already have them on the GTS and MBS. Haven't decided yet if we want to do them across the board.

so I can't really answer that.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #15

We have the 2012 3121DS Forester with the upgraded queen short.
I purchased a body pillow...we pull the mattress down toward the foot of bed frame at night and stuff the body pillow in the space at head of the bed, putting our pillows on top of that. In the morning just reverse the process when we make up the bed. This gives us the length we need for comfortable sleeping.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #16

Carl (or Brian), is it possible to order a bedroom fantastic fan from the factory?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Carl (or Brian), is it possible to order a bedroom fantastic fan from the factory?
There not to hard to install if it's not an option.
Did mine in under 2 hours.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #18

Yes it is.
2044-1 Fantastic Fan Bedroom $210
^^ straight from the FR build sheet that Brian shared with me a while back. This is retail/MSRP pricing.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #19

I pulled the trigger today! Thanks everyone for your help, especially Carl! Here's my build details:

Make: Forester
Model: 3171DS
Color: Sahara
Options:
• Cherry Wood Interior
• Ford E450 6.8L Chassis
• Preferred Package: Heated, Remote Exterior Mirrors, Back Up Camera w/Monitor, GPS Navigation, Dyson Cordless RV Vac with Wand, Surround Sound with Subwoofer, Black Tank Flush
• 15K BTU A/C w/Heat Pump
• Ultra Leather Driver/Passenger Seats
• Fantastic Fan in Bedroom
• Side View Cameras
• Driver Side Swivel Seat
• Passenger Side Swivel Seat
• Bedroom TV with DVD
• Convection Microwave, Delete Oven
• Arctic Package
• Exterior Grill w/Quick Connect
• Deluxe Woodgrain Dash
• Automatic Leveling Jacks
Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #20

My wife and i just ordered 3171ds minus swivel seat, and we went with oven best of luck
debken3171 is offline   Reply With Quote