Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

good fuse and relay but no brake lights

Our 3011 DSF lost its brake lights and one rear running light while rolling down the road this weekend. Thankfully we were caravaning with family so we were covered safety wise. When we got on site I checked and the fuse and relay for the lights were intact and tested fine. I'm assuming that I'm dealing with a loose connection or a fusible link but I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram and crawling around in the engine bay with a volt meter is tough task that would be made much easier with a wiring diagram.

Is anyone familiar with the wiring for the lights or does anyone have a wiring diagram handy?
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Have you checked the bulbs? I have had a rash of failures as have others if it's a 2012 model. Originally though to be a bad batch of bulbs but in my case it was leaky lenses which let rain water in that doesn't drain out. During travel the bulbs get splashed and if on, it cracks the glass bulb due to temperature shock.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Tinkerer and Putterer

I was actually going to post pictures. It turns out all four bulbs were cracked and blown. No water though. Good to know that others have seen this. Saves me from chasing an intermittent short that isn't there.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

You have some leaky lenses. I had three out, two were dry but one still had water in it which convinced me what the problem was.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
You have some leaky lenses. I had three out, two were dry but one still had water in it which convinced me what the problem was.
Having same issue on 2013 Crusader 260 RLD. Going bulb shopping today as all 3 spares used. Any rec on temp fix? Electrical tape around lens cover?
2013 Crusader 260RLD
2013 F250 PSD 6.7 V8 3.55 axle 4x4
Traded in 2009 GulfStream Vista Cruiser Mini 4230 (diesel)
abwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

Vaseline around the lens perimeter will be my first cut at sealing things up.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

I just had the same thing happen to me today. Good brake check before we hit the road this morning, so I know the timing.

Big Rig driver pulled up beside us on I-70 west of St Louis and told us we had no brake lights. Pulled over immediately. Front signals worked, TOAD signals worked, reverse lamps worked - but no brake or turn signal.

Checked fuses and then got on the blower with Coach-net. They couldn't help. Crawled the length of the MH looking for a broken/disconnected harness and didn't find anything.

Finally Googled the problem and found a similar thread from last year. All four lights died at the same time. One cracked and the other three blue/black.

I suspect that the culprit was a VERY HARD hit on the rear suspension to a pothole right as SWMBO hit the brakes. Heat, mechanical vibration and age finally did the cheap no-name China lamps in.

Would have never thought to check bulbs when all four were out. Backups worked. Thank goodness for this forum!

BTW - mine were bone dry and no signs of corrosion. Just crappy bulbs and a lot of vibration.

Will be looking at alternatives. There are a lot of 1157/2057 LED options of Am@zon but I've read tonight that they don't really do the trick. Bargman makes a retro-fit kit for the lights on the back of the Sunseeker but they are about $30-35 a lens. Or you can replace the whole unit (Brake, Turn, Tail, Back) for about $50.

$100 seems like a lot for new tail lights but the flip side is getting rear-ended after loosing all of your tail lights (without knowing it) would cost a lot more. Might give the $5 1157 SMD LED clusters a shot first and see how they look compared to a regular incandescent.

Good luck to all - my recommendation if you have a new Forest River is head to the nearest car parts store and pick up 4 spare bulbs. $5 is cheap peace of mind.
flynmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Tinkerer and Putterer

Your scenario potentially matches up with my experience. Post brake check I went over a speed bump too fast while applying the brakes. The suspension bottomed and the rig bounced hard. I guess I'll find out if the new bulbs blow in a similar fashion. I opted for pricier ultra bright bulbs instead of the cheapies (10.00 a pack) but skipped the LEDs since they had resistors that were vented to the open air. If there is moisture getting in that would be a pricey failure (17.00 instead of 10.00).
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #9

We have a Sunseeker 3170DS. Same thing happened to us. All four rear lights were not working; bulbs were black. Replaced bulbs and lenses with sealed led units.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

I know LEDs are allot more expensive but they are allot brighter. All in all it depends on how good of a ground you have.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, light, brakes