Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Great Add On

Just finished up installing a Twin Scooter Carrier on the back of our 3101SS.

The Scooter are Lambretta UNO-150's and weigh about 240 lbs each.

The Carrier is a VersaHaul VH-55 DMRO

Since the 3101SS comes with a Class III hitch (500 lbs tongue weight), I upgraded it to a Class IV hitch (1000 lbs Tongue weight) just to be safe. The hitch is a Curt CM-14090-WA model. Almost a direct bolt on, but I had to drill 4 new holes.

Here is what it looks like. You just have to remember that you now have about 3 extra feet hanging off the back, so be careful when transitioning from a road to a steep driveway or visa-versa.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5320  

Old 02-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

Mike,

I'm interested in the upgraded hitch you found. Is it a good match up to the E450 frame rails? (Curt lists it as a Chevy Van fitment.) Do you have any other photos of the hitch?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3

How much does the carrier move with the scooters loaded? I have a single carrier I mount on a front hitch. I have found if I run a strap from the carrier to the truck frame, it makes the setup more stable.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
How much does the carrier move with the scooters loaded? I have a single carrier I mount on a front hitch. I have found if I run a strap from the carrier to the truck frame, it makes the setup more stable.
It doesn't move at all! It is pretty secure. The carrier comes with an "Anti-tilt lock bracket" that keeps it from moving side to side. Once the scooters are loaded and everything tightened down, I can grab the unit and try to shake it from side-to-side or up and down and the whole RV moves with it. I just make sure at each stop after driving all day and the scooters are unloaded, that the bracket is tightened down and hasn't worked its way loose.

Here is the link to the carrier with all the specifics:
| Versahaul

Mike
Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

Just be careful here as I believe the factory tow ratings of 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000lbs tow weight is not the hitch itself but the frame extensions added to the Ford frame. This is why even the big Class As most often have similar tow ratings. You are probably okay because you are not that much over rated and a factor of safety is always considered but I would keep an eye out for cracks in the frame extension welds and stress cracks in the fiber glass coach body.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

As low as it sets I would watch going over any bumps of any kind or in and out of gas stations as I think that is going to drag something ferce.