Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

Heat control and sound deadening

Well I put my money where my mouth is and decided to add some dynamat extreme and 1/2 inch dynapad to the cab of my 3011. The existing stock insulation is selectively placed and about 1/3 of an inch thick. It is standard stock insulation and it allows enough heat in to give you a real hot foot after a few hours of driving. Ford knows about the issue and even installed heat shields in the cab to try and block more of the heat. I undertook the job in the hopes of knocking down both heat and sound transmission. The end result of the work is that noise levels did not substantially decrease but heat transmission did.

I mentioned doing this work in a past post and promised to post the results so here they are.

Materials list:

2 boxes of Dynapad

1 door kit of Dynamat

tp55 bit (Torx Plus 55)

18 mm deep well socket

Box Cutter

Scissors

Trim removal tools

Aluminum tape

The seats come out with minimal fuss. The foot wells pop out with a mild tug. There is a push in trim holder under each foot well that is removable using the trim tool. The trim behind the doghouse is also removable using the same trim tool. All of the surfaces must be cleaned up and dried after the vinyl floor is folded back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	73264  
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Tinkerer and Putterer

The Dynamat has an adhesive backing. When cutting pieces to fit, rough cut them to the area to be applied and then use the box cutter to fit the piece into its permanent home. Don't bother trying to cut a hole for fittings. Instead, use a blow dryer and a roller to form the mat to is surface. The hole will appear as a depression that you can punch out with a screwdriver. Dynamat sells a rubber roller that excels at forming the mat. Don't worry about covering the entire floor. Instead, add the mat to areas where you'll contact the floor or any large flat areas. The dynmat stops panel resonance and acts as a start to the heat blocking.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Tinkerer and Putterer

The dynapad is then laid on top of the mat as a carpet pad and any seams are taped. Any uneven surfaces can be covered by trimming down pieces to create three dimensional shapes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	73274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	73275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	73276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	73277  
Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Tinkerer and Putterer

Post install the doghouse will be a tight fit that will require the lower panel on the drivers side to be popped off to reinstall it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

Some additional pics showing the formed pieces. The two shots on the bottom are of fitting a piece that was rough cut and the cuts that were made to make the piece fit. Leave the backing on until you have a good fit then pull the paper partially off, stick it into the tightest point, heat and roll the piece onto the surface while pulling the paper backing off. Using the roller to apply the dynamat will help to prevent wrinkles in the surface. The more wrinkles in the mat the less effective it will be at blocking resonance / sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	73303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	73307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	73308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	73309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	73310  

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

Took a trip up to PA which is a 6.5 hour trip. The floor and walls around the doghouse did not heat up. Hot foot issues solved. Sound is not coming up through the floor which is what I expected but the sound is still coming though the firewall. So if sound is the primary issue the dash will need to come off and the firewall would need to be padded with dynamat or dynapad. The main sound coming through when cruising is air noise from around the side door and not the engine. Nothing I can do there. When the engine kicks down to 3000 RPM it becomes the primary noise but the Mrs. and I can still talk without yelling.