Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Heat in 2016 Forester

This is new for us in the last few months and it just occurred to me that my company is arriving shortly and 2 people are staying in the Rv and I've never used the heat! I thought I could figure it out without reading the manual but no such luck and I'm trying to get dinner around. Can someone help a girl out so I don't have to dig through the manual? I'm sure it's easy and I'm just doing something wrong. Heat pump???
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Few things to make sure of, do you have propane? Is the valve opened on the propane tank? Do you have the thermostat set to furnace? If you are using heat pump are you connected to a 30 amp service, is the thermostat set to heat pump?

2014 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Black Bear Edition

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

Heat pump only works down into the 40 degree range. Check propane level. If valve on propane tank not open turn slowly counterclockwise (slowly). Light stove burners to make sure propane is flowing. may take a minute to light as air is expelled from the system. Once you have a good flame set thermostat to furnace. Then set the temperature.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #4

Thank you! Got it going and we do have a "special" plug that was added by an electrician to be able to run the Rv on electric and have air conditioning without blowing the fuse. I didn't realize what heat pump was and I'm still unclear but it's running on the furnace setting which I guess is propane. So much to learn!! Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #5

Explanation:

A furnace burns propane to make heat. (Make a flame, feel the heat.)

A heat pump is basically your air conditioner (AC) running in reverse. When on AC, a compressor acts to "pump" heat from inside your coach to the outside. When operating as a heat pump, it changes the direction and "pumps" heat from the outside to the inside of the coach. Of course, it works best when there's a lot of "heat" outside. That's why AbdRahim said that they only work down to about 40 degrees outside. Below that there's not enough "heat" for them to operate properly for large spaces like a coach, TT, or house.

How can there be "heat" at 40 degrees? you might ask. Well, if you have a deep freeze type freezer at home, it's basically pumping "heat" from the inside of the freezer at 0 degrees to the outside of the freezer at, say, 70 degrees. Not easy and takes a relatively large amount of power to do it. Your fridge does the same thing, pumping heat from 37 degrees or so inside to 70 degrees or more outside.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am going to have to get a cup of coffee and reread it to see if I can wrap my head around it. Lol. My ex was a mechanical engineer so he handled all of this type of stuff. He would try to explain but after 45 minutes I would glaze over. Lol

Tags
forester