Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

Heat Pump

With it getting colder, decided to try the heat pump just pumps out cold air. Our Forester 3011DS, came with a 15K BTU A/C W/Heat Pump. The thermostat in the bedroom does not show a heat pump reading on the white part, but when you go past the furnace button, you can see the green light behind the white plastic. How can you tell if the heat pump even installed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA210004.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	20919  
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom View Post
With it getting colder, decided to try the heat pump just pumps out cold air. Our Forester 3011DS, came with a 15K BTU A/C W/Heat Pump. The thermostat in the bedroom does not show a heat pump reading on the white part, but when you go past the furnace button, you can see the green light behind the white plastic. How can you tell if the heat pump even installed?
Would you have the model # of the thermostat? The only way to tell is by the stat or you would have to open the ac unit and find the reversing valve. If you do not know what it looks like that will not help. Most HP stats come with a emergency heat switch, that is to say that it will turn on a heat strip (electric) maybe 2.5 KW. It is called back-up heat in case of failures from the compressor and kicks on during the defrost cycle.
It would also help to know the model # of your rooftop unit. You should find that in your package. If you find this I might be able to help you. As far as the green light that could just mean that's it is on...
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

On my thermostat, when you select zone 1 you can to scroll through the different options (cool, fan, heat pump, furnace). I don't know if your thermostat works differently but that is how mine works.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

That means the heatpump is on.
Seems you got one without the writing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3313192000.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	20926  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

The green light is on under furnace, but the cover does not show heat pump. The paperwork says 34-1635.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom View Post
The green light is on under furnace, but the cover does not show heat pump. The paperwork says 34-1635.
The web sites shows two stats, 1 is for a non heat pump, just as your picture shows. The heat pump stat shows the same as the one shown by Iggy above. Either you had the wrong stat installed or it is not a heat pump or the wrong cover was put on the sub-base. I would think that you are not just missing the word heat pump on the stat. Also I can not find that part # 34-1635.. Apoint to make is that a lot of manufacturer use the same base but do not hook up the extra wires. Who knows what happened at the dealer, they might have been missing the cover and just put on a AC, furnace only cover off another unit before delv.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

If you have no heat and the thermostat doesn't show it you likely have no heat pump. Factory can verify options via your VIN#, give them a call.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote