Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

HELP - Fiberglass Roof Crack?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1432077563.339918.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	77476Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1432077588.178813.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	77477

Found these cracks on the fiberglass roof of my Forester 2451S. Not too deep and just along one edge.

Should I worry? Still under warranty.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

IMO, I would be very concerned with any cracking, especially on a relatively new roof.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

Yes; roof cracks lead to leaks
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Do a search on this forum as I have seen others post about similar issues. I would be concerned about leaks forming. You should probably lay some caulking down to prevent leaks.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

If it is under warranty, take it to the dealer immediately. Do not start a homemade repair.
naysmitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Class C Representative

If it is still under warranty take it to your dealer, have them check it out and go from there.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

warrenty issues

I always find it very interesting that anyone wo9uld post in any forum about a issue that is covere3d under some type of warranty? I have3 always gone back to the dealer so that there is a history of the problem, and hopefully the dealer told the manufacture, But in either case you have the history if the problem turns into something big and the dealer runs you out of warranty. I had that exact type of thing happen, that a number of dealers were unable to repair/fix a number of issues I had with a new coach, and by the time I had taken it back to the factory it was out of warranty, but it did not matter as there was a history, and the factory fixed every item better than new.
SO again any time you have an issue with the potential of this (water leaks) just take it back to the dealer and start there first. Good luck and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #8

HELP - Fiberglass Roof Crack?

Thanks for input. Will be at dealer June 8th for warranty repair.

Really just wanted to see if anyone else encounter this issue and how it was fixed.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Thanks for input. Will be at dealer June 8th for warranty repair.

Really just wanted to see if anyone else encounter this issue and how it was fixed.
I would want to know if any one else had the same problem too! Some people on here likes to rag on peoples post. Ask what you want
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Class C Representative

Keep us updated on how the dealer fixes the issue. This thread could be helpful to someone else later on down the road.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

OP just asked for opinions. Legitimate question. No need for criticism. Hope he gets it straightened out.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

Your in luck as your rig is still under warranty. FR will have to do something, although the only way to really fix it is to replace the entire roof. Whether or not they will go that far--rots a ruck.
My 2012 Lexi developed several small cracks about 6 months out of warranty. Contacted FR and I could tell they were just tickled pink that it was out of warranty and that it was my problem.
I believe the roof isn't fiberglass, but a type of fiberglass/plastic composit of some type that is very thin. My cracks developed in no particular area, just here and there, but along the sides.
My solution was to clean each area with mineral spirits, than acetone. Drilled some small holes at the end of each crack to prevent them from getting longer. Spread some Dicor along the crack and forced it into the crack. Let it dry and than covered the repair with Eternabond tape. Holding up very well, and not noticeable unless your on the roof.
In your case the cracks are much worse than mine, and in your shoes I would not let up on FR. Cracks that close to the edge can only lead to problems down the line. Think of what has to be done to replace an entire roof, what must be removed, ect, and to do it right its a factory job, not a repair I'd trust to a dealer.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #13

What is the warranty on fiberglass roof from Forest River you have a decent warranty on rubber roofs probably 10 years minimum on defects I know Fleetwood stood behind there fiberglass roof longer than a year because they replaced mine on Revolution about 2 years after I bought it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #14

Boso, as far as I've been able to find out, at least on mine, it was a year. I did a bit of digging and when FR first started using these types of roof's, it was a period of several years. Remember seeing an old Lexi brosure where I think the roof warranty was 10 years (I think).
I was told that the roofs were manufactured by an outside vendor, and that in 2011 or 2012 some of the roofs were apparently not made to specs, causing some cracks to occur.
Then you run into the problem of FR pointing the finger at the roof manufacturer. I was told that, that particular manufacturer was no longer in business. Still, to this day I still don't know who would have been responsible.
For my part I gave up with FR and chalk it up to the usual substandard build, substandard materials, and lousey QC. Now I just fix it myself.
Been exploring the use of a bedliner product called Durabak to coat the entire roof at some point down the line.
Getting back to the original OP, he's lucky to the extent that his warranty is still good, so it's up to FR to make good on the fix. If the Forrester is anything like the Lexi, the outer shell is a laminate of the shell, luan, foam insulation. So it's not a "simple" repair. The whole roof has to be literally disassembled and removed.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #15

Update after visit to the dealer! Well dealer was completely confused and did nothing. They did put a penny size drop of dicor on a antenna screw and were nice enough to want to charge me $139. Note I explained extensively and left pictures on the dashboard for them.

After a "discussion" while standing on the roof they ended up just covered the crack with dicor.

So much for careful consideration of the best way to repair it!

In the end I believe this may be the best way to repair it. Replacing the whole roof seemed like a greater risk when you consider opening all the seams again. Will just need to keep any eye on it.

My guess this crack came from handling of the roof sheet during assembly.

Dealer did agree the roof and a couple other minor repairs were all warranty work and there was no charge. I appreciate that but not great service.

Ready for the next trip now !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434146819.715544.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	79764
Old 06-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #16

IMO, all they did was prevent a leak from the existing cracks. As Grumpy is suggesting, the cracks still under the Dicor will likely continue to spread. Watch it very carefully, especially after each trip; you probably have not seen the end of this issue.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #17

Thanks. I will be watching it!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #18

You may wish to reach to the factory, if for nothing else than start a paper trail. Perhaps they will authorize a proper inspection and/or evaluation of repairs.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Update after visit to the dealer!

""My guess this crack came from handling of the roof sheet during assembly. "

Attachment 79764
I agree with your thinking on the cause. I toured the factory and the roof panel is laid on the top then 1 or 2 guys bend it over the corner while another screws it down. If the panel is a little thin there or it is cold stress cracks like you have will form. Frequent inspection and maint of the caulking IMO would be better than replacing the the roof which could start a lot of other problems.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #20
Tinkerer and Putterer

You are close to the factory. Since the rig is under warranty and that repair was done by the dealer I would get Mr. Jankowski on the phone and point him towards this thread for the photos he needs. I'll PM you his contact info. IMO the factory should replace the roof. The factory is the only place I would trust for that work.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roo, roof