Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Help! My floor is damaged!!

I need some help. The floor in my 2014 Forester 3171DS was damaged by water leaking in from a faulty seal in the bunk slide out. The dealer initially could not find the leak and we took it home and used it all last summer. By the end of the summer, the floor in and around the kitchen was mushy. We dropped it off last September and it took them until February to find the leak. They told us the only way to fix it is to cut out the damaged area and replace it. We agreed to the work since it was recommended to us as the only fix. Long story short, the work was not done exactly the way it should have been. We rejected it and they fixed it so that the new section of flooring matched the height of the old. Now, over the past 3 weeks we have noticed more mushiness in front of the work. I called the dealer and the GM remembered me because he had to call back the worked who did not do the work correctly in the beginning. He told me that had he known that his service department was going to cut out the floor, he would have called it a total loss. Because it is a once piece laminate floor, it cannot be replaced in pieces. We are bringing it into the dealer this Saturday for the general manager to take a look and see the damage for himself. What would you do in this situation? The dealer clearly screwed up and is still saying that it still should be a total loss.

ejhaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

I can answer you but you will not like the answer. So, Did you purchase the unit new?
Was it within the warranty period for the coach when you first brought it to attention of the dealer.
When the dealer stated they could not find the leak, did you continue to try or seek a second opinion? (due dilligence)
Does your insurance exclude water damage?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

Hi, we did not purchase this unit new. We purchased it in 2016 and did not see the damage until 2017. We took it into the dealer as soon as we noticed the damage. They had it for a week and could not find where the water was coming from and the floor was just starting to be soft at that point. We continued to try and figure out where it was coming from but, we could not figure it out. We never had water resting on our floor, so we knew it was coming in and seeping into the floor somewhere. They told us to come back if the floor got worse. By the end of summer last year, the floor was very bad. The dealer took it from us in September and did not get worked on until the winter. We have contact our insurance twice and they will not cover the damage. Now, the GM of the dealer wants to come up with a loss date and try to get a total loss declared, which we know will not happen.
ejhaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

Unfortunately, your issue lies with the dealer who, it appears, did not fix the leak and subsequently failed to repair the damage the leak caused. When you reach the proverbial brick wall and you are interested in repairing the unit on your own, you might want to consider posting photos of exactly what is damaged. You would be amazed some of the ideas, creativity and cost savings you can gleen from the experience available on this forum.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

Hello:

I do not know what stage you are at with your issue but I would like to add what I did with mine which was well out of warranty.

I stripped out what I could ,bolstered it up the best I could as there were aluminum spars underneath bt spaced at over 16 inche's on center. Then I layed down thick Laminate flooring down which interlocks .

Spent about 3 days finishing it up as there were some tricky cuts involved but the results were great. This happened in the bathroom but I did not take the toilet out just trimmed the birds to go around it.

It lasted for a couple of years and when I sold the camper the new owners raved about the floor

Hope this helps
Teamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

I've seen some videos of water damaged floors in RVs due to various reasons. Some declared them total losses even though the rest of the rig looked in pristine condition. Others have taken on the challenge and replaced either the damaged areas or the whole floor.

I've gotten into the habit of turning off the city water at the spigot anytime we leave the trailer because on my last outing, the pressure regulator/reducer failed and I sprung a leak at the toilet water inlet.

I'm kind of anal when it comes to wet floors so when my trailer was brand new, I noticed that workmanship was really shoddy so I completely silicone sealed all the baseboards, especially in the bathroom.

My trailer doesn't have slide outs which is a blessing and a disadvantage at the same time. Recently, I saw a trailer being towed on the freeway with the slide out partially deployed and also like it was ready to fall off the tracks!

Good luck.

tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor