Old 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Red face help need advice on buying new class c rv

hi we are new to this forum but not to rving,we are looking to move up from a tt to a class c,30 t0 32 ft.we have looked at the coachmen leprechaun which we like,we just looked at the forest river forester on line.my head is spinning trying to compare the 2.i know they are made by the same manufacture but i am guessing one must be diff. from the other,as far as options,but what about construction,rubber roof ,fiberglass roof,and so on.i know they re on the same ford f450 frame.i know if i don't ask questions i will defiantly miss somethings.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

They are all close on quality these days. I found the important thing is interior design. DW wanted U shape dinette with a lot of kitchen counter space and lots of inside storage. We also wanted it to look good - I think the Forester looks awesome with the full paint. It's also what options you want - need. Figure out your main wants and needs - then it will be easier to shop without spinning.
Jim

2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

The Forester has a one piece fiberglass roof, padded ceiling, integrated fiberglass running boards, flat LED ceiling lights, LED front marker and tail/brake/backup lights, padded ceiling (really cuts down on the rain noise) hidden cabinet hinges, cedar lined closets and Firestone Airbags.

Forester also uses the Progressive Dynamics converter instead of the inferior WFCO and an Atwood water heater which has a quicker recovery than the Suburban and has the electric switch in the coach instead of outside at the heater and no Anode rod to replace annually which the Coachmen also has. It also comes with a battery powered Dyson vacuum cleaner and a King digital antenna instead of a crank up. Also, dual batteries are standard and not an option.

Looking at the Leprechaun features I noticed the black and grey tanks are a little smaller on the 32' and the transfer switch for the generator is manual instead of automatic like the Forester. Also, a power drivers seat appears to not be available which is on the Forester in the E450

I do see the leprechaun has available a fireplace and dual pane tinted windows which I believe are still not available on the Forester.

One factor to consider is how good your dealer is which can make a big difference in your happiness when you need warranty service as I am sure you will at some point. I don't think you can go wrong with either product. Pick the floor plan you like.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. We are camping in it right now so any questions should be really easy.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

What I do when deciding what to purchase is make up my own comparison spreadsheet covering all the specs (and price) of each model I'm considering. Along with this I closely compare the floor plans and think hard about the realities of living with each one.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

help need advice on buying new class c rv

thanks for your response seems you just got one yourself,we are now researching dealers in our area,sometime thats a bigger pain then buying the rv
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #6

thanks for your help,you brought up things i did not even think about,now i have more info to read up on
Old 08-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

We did a lot of research before buying our 2016 Forester. We found that in addition to everything else mentioned here, there are 8 seat belts available ( we didn't find any others that had that many). That mattered to us only because we took a cross country trip with several family members.
Not sure about the Leprechauns etc, but the Forester has blackout shades, not the accordion style.

Forester 3011DS
Old 08-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #8

One minor annoyance on our Forester is the fact that the side gutters end directly above the cab doors. Any condensation/rain etc will pour down on you when you open the cab door, directly on the power window switches. No remedy that I've found. Gutter extensions didn't help

Forester 3011DS
Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #9

Took me almost a year to decide between the Coachmen Concord and the Forester GTS. . In the end I chose the Forester due to quality of accessories and interior even though I loved the look of the Concord. Couldn't be happier with the Forester. . The things GL1800rider make the difference to me.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrphdawg View Post
One minor annoyance on our Forester is the fact that the side gutters end directly above the cab doors. Any condensation/rain etc will pour down on you when you open the cab door, directly on the power window switches. No remedy that I've found. Gutter extensions didn't help

Forester 3011DS
Pretty typical class C issue.

Tags
class c