Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Help us decide!

So glad to stumble upon this forum. Hubby and I considering purchasing a 2013 Forester with 9000 miles. We've never owned a class C. Can you help us decide whether or not we want to do this! How do I find out the value of this unit? Give me the pros and cons - are they maintenance nightmares? Do you have an issues? We're looking at the 3051s model. Can you help this ole girl?
Hystersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

To find out the value check out Nada guides. They have an RV section
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Can't help much, but can't help but notice yall are right up the road from us. NADA is going to list the unit WAY higher than it's worth. I've seen NADA list our last 2 motorhomes higher used than we paid new. Just an idea, you can go buy a brand new one in Lafayette for $69k with every option but the paint. A shade more with the paint. I think when I traded my 3121DS Forester in, they turned around and sold it for $60k, with 5500 miles or so on it. May give you a ballpark anyway. As for maintenance and issues, I think you get that no matter what you decide from a popup to a class A. Only con I found with the class c, is how low they sit to the ground, and the possible tail end drag going into parking lots / gas stations. I loved the way it drove as it's more like a traditional truck.

In all, I could write a book, as many could, on pros and cons to these. Ever consider a class a? You can get into a similar sized unit for around the same money, maybe a shade more assuming you stick to a gas chassis.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Thanks for taking the time to reply - we are going from a 5th wheel to a class c, and will consider an A when we are fully retired - have really had a difficult time deciding, but wanted to keep my price below 60 for fear that we won't get the "use" out of it to justify the high cost - this is a stretch for us to spend this kind of money on something that is not very "practical" - haha - we're too practical! I don't like to loose money on any purchase that I have the potential to sell when I tire of it, so the "value" of it is important to me, as I can see us selling it in 5 or so years, upon full retirement, where we'd like to move to the Class A, if we can still walk and talk! LOL
Hystersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Gotcha. Didn't know yall's level of experience, but sounds like you'd be fine going to a class c. They only have a few more things that can go wrong I suppose. Genset, unless you've already dealt with that. Battery isolator / relays, since you have a coach battery and house battery, and of course, the chassis stuff that you already deal with on any tow vehicle.

We went the other route I guess. Moved from the towables, to class a, bought a toad, to class c, then back to fifth wheel. Square footage for the money was second to none in a fifth wheel, and I had to have a truck anyway. There is no motorhome that has 2 bedrooms, and since we full time, it was a must. Different things work for different people.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can also do a Google search for that particular year and model to see what it is selling for around the country. I also check ebay, craigslist and rv trader.com. I then take an average to determine fair market value. If you can't find yours, search for a very similar unit... in floor plan and quality level.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #7

As you are searching prices, note that the Sunseeker line is similar to the Forester. Same floor plans with model numbers ending in a 0 instead of a 1. Forester has upgraded finish inside and most of the options on a Sunseeker are standard on a Forester. However a fully loaded Sunseeker is almost identical to the same model Forester.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

A quick search only yielded one is Bossier City, LA at Bayou Outdoor Supercenter. No price.
Have you driven one? It's a beast of a class C! 7 mpg average for us.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

What is the asking price of the unit you are looking at?
AprilFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
To find out the value check out Nada guides. They have an RV section
I just ran my 2450 through NADA and the low value for used was $10 grand more than I paid new. I'm hoping they look at this when I sell

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I just ran my 2450 through NADA and the low value for used was $10 grand more than I paid new. I'm hoping they look at this when I sell

I'm gonna bet they offer wholesale Dealer price which will be low nada number minus 25% as their offer to buy your unit...

Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
I'm gonna bet they offer wholesale Dealer price which will be low nada number minus 25% as their offer to buy your unit...
Well, that felt good for 20 minutes..........

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #13

We've had everything from tents to class A rigs since 1969. Class c and class a rigs are convenient to travel in but you must tow a car or something behind it it get around. We didn't and had to rent a car (never again). And their value drops like a rock. And because of their size we had problems getting them serviced plus it can be expensive. 5th wheels are great if you like being a truck driver. We had Montana rigs and they were great when you were set up but after a while packing up and driving them around became very tedious. Plus you need a big truck. We finally decided to go back to a travel trailer. If you like the truck you can change the trailer and if you like the trailer you can change the truck. Plus separately they don't depreciate as much. That is just my opinion and others will have different ones. One other thing we did find is it is a lot harder to sell a class c or class a if you need to. Good luck in your decision and what ever it is may you enjoy the heck out of it.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #14

I own a 2013 Forester 3051S and have seen a few on the market between 69K to 75K. Love my Forester but had several issues to work through on warranty work over the past 6-months. Keep in mind when you are not the original owner that Forest River and other manufactures (like the appliances) will not allow transfer to new owners. Silly I know, but none the less I have encountered this and purchased an extended service plan to cover what the manufactures wouldn't. Ford is real good about making good on the chassis but the coach is all Forest River...
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Tinkerer and Putterer

My sisters family spent about the same for their travel trailer and new truck as we did for our 3011 DSF but yeah, a C is much harder to sell until it's older and prices in around the cost of a new trailer. We opted for the C because I didn't need a truck and didn't want to pay the gas to commute in it daily. Ease of travel with the kids, quick setup and the option not to flat tow a vehicle on short trips made the decision easy for us but I know that this C will be with us for a long time and all of that ease of use will cost me more $$$ in the long run. If I had it to do over again though, I would take a harder look at the shorter A's with the drop down bunks. The floor plan is more open, the mileage is about the same and there are fewer seals and seams to leak on the front of the rig. Some believe that a C is safer and easier to drive. While the C is crash tested for the up front riders, the kids are in back so for my family the argument that a C can be more crash worthy is moot. There is the appearance from the cab that the C is smaller and easier to drive but the reality is that the back is just as wide and the mirrors stick out just as far. The C also has a larger turning radius than an A of the same or slightly larger size because A's wheels can turn up to 60 degrees.

Oh, don't forget about insurance on the C as well. Incidentals like that are easy to overlook.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #16

C class is a more Solid design IMO. I've seen MANY A class with stress cracked windshields... Never see that on a C.....
Bikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #17

Agree!
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

yep I have seen a lot, owning two class A's, 35' gasser and a 40'
Diesel pusher, traded the DP for a 5er (to live in), and are
having a 3011ds built now. Big upside is DW will now drive
the c.......well she thinks she will, only time will tell.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #19

i have had a class A for 15 years ( with a stress cracked windshield) and just moved to a class c. I feel safer in a C. i like we both have doors to jump out. i like it sleeps more. Easier to drive. In the Class A I did not like feeling like if i rear ended someone there was only class and some fiber glass in front of me vs the C full van front end. It is lower (sad face) but not the end of the world. I like the look of an A better. Before we bought the C we did look at some A's again. The drop down bunks on all the ones we looked at, entry level class As, were junk imo. So far a am very glade we bought a C.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote