Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #1

Help us decide!

So glad to stumble upon this forum. Hubby and I considering purchasing a 2013 Forester with 9000 miles. We've never owned a class C. Can you help us decide whether or not we want to do this! How do I find out the value of this unit? Give me the pros and cons - are they maintenance nightmares? Do you have an issues? We're looking at the 3051s model. Can you help this ole girl?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Site Team

To find out the value check out Nada guides. They have an RV section

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Can't help much, but can't help but notice yall are right up the road from us. NADA is going to list the unit WAY higher than it's worth. I've seen NADA list our last 2 motorhomes higher used than we paid new. Just an idea, you can go buy a brand new one in Lafayette for $69k with every option but the paint. A shade more with the paint. I think when I traded my 3121DS Forester in, they turned around and sold it for $60k, with 5500 miles or so on it. May give you a ballpark anyway. As for maintenance and issues, I think you get that no matter what you decide from a popup to a class A. Only con I found with the class c, is how low they sit to the ground, and the possible tail end drag going into parking lots / gas stations. I loved the way it drove as it's more like a traditional truck.

In all, I could write a book, as many could, on pros and cons to these. Ever consider a class a? You can get into a similar sized unit for around the same money, maybe a shade more assuming you stick to a gas chassis.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #4

Thanks for taking the time to reply - we are going from a 5th wheel to a class c, and will consider an A when we are fully retired - have really had a difficult time deciding, but wanted to keep my price below 60 for fear that we won't get the "use" out of it to justify the high cost - this is a stretch for us to spend this kind of money on something that is not very "practical" - haha - we're too practical! I don't like to loose money on any purchase that I have the potential to sell when I tire of it, so the "value" of it is important to me, as I can see us selling it in 5 or so years, upon full retirement, where we'd like to move to the Class A, if we can still walk and talk! LOL
Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Gotcha. Didn't know yall's level of experience, but sounds like you'd be fine going to a class c. They only have a few more things that can go wrong I suppose. Genset, unless you've already dealt with that. Battery isolator / relays, since you have a coach battery and house battery, and of course, the chassis stuff that you already deal with on any tow vehicle.

We went the other route I guess. Moved from the towables, to class a, bought a toad, to class c, then back to fifth wheel. Square footage for the money was second to none in a fifth wheel, and I had to have a truck anyway. There is no motorhome that has 2 bedrooms, and since we full time, it was a must. Different things work for different people.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #6
Site Team

You can also do a Google search for that particular year and model to see what it is selling for around the country. I also check ebay, craigslist and rv trader.com. I then take an average to determine fair market value. If you can't find yours, search for a very similar unit... in floor plan and quality level.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

As you are searching prices, note that the Sunseeker line is similar to the Forester. Same floor plans with model numbers ending in a 0 instead of a 1. Forester has upgraded finish inside and most of the options on a Sunseeker are standard on a Forester. However a fully loaded Sunseeker is almost identical to the same model Forester.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

A quick search only yielded one is Bossier City, LA at Bayou Outdoor Supercenter. No price.
Have you driven one? It's a beast of a class C! 7 mpg average for us.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

What is the asking price of the unit you are looking at?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
To find out the value check out Nada guides. They have an RV section
I just ran my 2450 through NADA and the low value for used was $10 grand more than I paid new. I'm hoping they look at this when I sell

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote