Old 12-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Horn quit working

I have a 2015 Forester GTS and the horn stopped working. I checked the manual and located the horn fuse, which is a 20 amp, and did not show that it was tripped. Of interest is the fact that when connected, the tow dolly tail lights do not come on when the vehicle head lights are activated. Everything else works, 4 ways, turn signals, brake lights. Could this be related? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

rgrill6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

What brand is your chassis?

I don't know about Chevy, but if it's a Ford, the trailer lights have relays in addition to fuses. The same part number relay is used for many services, so swap a known good relay from a circuit that works for the trailer tail light circuits to be sure your relay isn't the problem. Also, have you checked the horn and taillight fuses for continuity? Sometimes when they blow the gap isn't easy to see. Try swapping a known good fuse for the horn and taillight fuses.

On our 2010 Ford E450, the horn fuse is the fuse box under the dash, but the trailer light fuses and relays are in the fuse box under the hood. The wiring diagram in the shop manual shows the horn relay is part of the fuse box under the dash and is "non-serviceable". I assume that means it is integrated into the fuse box circuit board, maybe as an integrated circuit. Hopefully, that's not your problem.

The Ford Owner's Guide lists the position in the fuse box for all the fuses and relays. If you have a Chevy, your manual probably has the information you need.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

RamblerGuy,

I have a Ford, so I will do as you suggested. Thanks for the info. I will let you know.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Worked

Ramblerguy,

I found a blown fuse linked to "trailer parking lights". This was in the engine compartment fuse box. The fuse for the horn, in the fuse box under dash, was good. Anyway, everthing is now working fine.

I do not understand the relationship with the trailer lights and the horn but I will live on.

Thanks again,
Bob