Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I did my update on my iMac (with Win 8 running in Parallels Desktop) and it took quite a while. I did it at night and went to bed. It was done in the AM I don't know how long it took. But once I started it I could see it was slow going. I don't think it was my connection - it has a LOT of files and it does them each one at a time. They don't fly by.

Also, I had mine set to confirm each file to insure that it wasn't corrupted.

I'd kind of doubt the library would let you down load 6 gigs of info over a number of hours on their computer.

You could just install Parallels and Windows 10. However, it will cost you some money for both items. Like $80 for Parallels and $100 for windows. But only if you ever need to run windows on your Mac for some other important reason.
Uhhh.... I'm a cheap Yankee... I tried the WINE program and that didn't work. I'll try to figure out what I'm gonna do....

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
Uhhh.... I'm a cheap Yankee... I tried the WINE program and that didn't work. I'll try to figure out what I'm gonna do....
Yeah you would have to need those programs for some other reason. It wouldn't be something you'd buy just for this update.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
4 hours ? Was that on dial-up, DSL or cable modem? I'm running an Apple computer so I have to do my update on the local library's public computer. I don't think they'll let me use their computer for 4 hours!
Hi,

No I have a fast link for my business. Their server was not sending them very fast. The problem was multiplied by the number of files and the verification process.

Maybe I just did it at the wrong time.

Scott
Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #84

[QUOTE=Creativepart;1016822]Benagi, I just checked Google Maps and it couldn't find Wilshire Street. It did find Wilshire Park Avenue. But no Wilshire Street.

Creative, thx for checking. It is Wilshire Park not street. My bad.
Wonder if the latest update can find it now.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgscott View Post
Hi,

I was able to get a free update yesterday. Took over 4 hours for it to download and install. It is 2015 Q2.

Tried looking for Wilshire in West Jordan, Utah. No luck. It just does not exist.

Scott
Scott, can it find Wilshire Park Avenue? Thx, Ben
Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #86

Tried Wilshire Park for Ben

Ben, I have the current update. I just checked and the navigation search won't let me complete the street for the address find of Wilshire Park in West Jordan Utah.
Earlier today, i was entering favorites from my Garmin to the Nav/Radio and there were a few entries where I couldn't complete the address search just like Wilshire Park. But the streets were on the map . Their maps are from TomTom. Hope this helps.
Dave
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #87

Thx Dave for checking again. Guess I won't be doing a map update anytime soon on that system. Just working on an update for my Toyota an it finds Wilshire Park no problem.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #88

The process discussed here and on some other older threads worked just fine (thanks!). Here are the steps to update as best I can recreate them from memory:

1. On the Jensen unit, open the tiny slot on the top right corner and remove the microSD card. It is very small, 15 mm x 11 mm. IMMEDIATELY place the card into a sealed envelope so you don't lose it. (You will need a micro to standard SD card adapter - see below - so if you have one, go ahead and place it into the adapter.)

3. Make note of your Jensen model number from the unit or from your manual. You will need this during the process.

2. Go to naviextras.com and create an account. You can use the site as a "Guest" but before getting the update you will need an account so go ahead and create one. I believe during this process it will ask you to ID the unit for which you are registering.

3. You will receive an email verification to test the email address you gave them. click on the link to verify your email address. You will be taken to a page that confirms your registration.

4. Return to the naviextras.com home page and if not already logged in, then log in.

5. On the left side, click on "Maps and More"

6. On the Maps page, look for the "Free Updates" tab and select it.

7. You will see the line, "f you have not installed the Naviextras Toolbox yet, please download it from here." Click on "here" and install the software.

8. At the end of the software load process, be sure the "launch now" box is checked. (Otherwise launch the program from your Start menu (Windows PC).

9. You will see at the top of the screen "No device is connected" and you will get a screen that says "Please connect your navigation device!"

10. Insert the microSD card into a standard SD card converter. They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS.../dp/B0047WZOOO Hopefully you have one for a camera or some other device in your home. Otherwise you can get one at Microcenter, Best Buy, Target, etc. Insert the SD card into your computer SD card slot. (If you don't have one, you will have to get a SD card to USB port adapter, or else do this operation on someone's computer who does have one.)

11. Here's where it gets a bit hairy, but don't worry. You will get a message saying to "disconnect" your system (the SD card) or else if you proceed your system may be corrupted! You can try disconnecting (removing the SD card) and reconnecting a couple more tries but it didn't work for me. Instead, click "Ignore" and proceed.

12. The software immediately prompts you to run a backup of your system before making any changes. Don't skip this step! (It may say it will take a few hours but on a modern computer should only take 5-10 mins.)

13. After the backup is done, there will be a screen saying something awkward to the effect "system fixes are needed." Go ahead and click this, and this will run the update for you. Don't worry as the screen runs through file after file after file. These are the maps being updated.

13. When done, you can close the software and remove your card. (The technically correct way to remove your card is to right click on the storage device icon in the taskbar tray (or else open Windows Explorer and right click on the storage device listed under "Computer") and select "Eject" - you can then safely remove the SD card.

14. Remove the microSD card from the standard SD card converter and immediately either place it into your unit or place it again in a sealed envelope until you do, so you don't lose it.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
The process discussed here and on some other older threads worked just fine (thanks!). Here are the steps to update as best I can recreate them from memory:
MNTraveler. Been there, done that. The problem is if people don't do the steps you outlined before the 30 days after your unit is activated, you will have to pay for the latest map update. The reason we missed the 30 day window was that our unit was activated at the factory by the driver bringing it to SLC, then it sat for another 3 weeks at the dealership getting things fixed and by the time I got it home, the 30 day free update was over. I would suggest that others update their unit at the dealership before it ever leaves the lot. Just my 2 cents.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #90

Understood - sorry I can't help with that. However, I think the lead time is 90 days.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #91

Quote:
Understood - sorry I can't help with that. However, I think the lead time is 90 days.
The owners manual says 90-days but iGo says it's 30-days and they refuse to accept the 90-day claim.

Your post is a good one. I had to buy a larger microSD card with 8 gigs of memory to do the upgrade. The OEM card in my system was only 4 gigs and the new update - with updated POI -- was 6 gigs.

Also, I remember some oddities of the update program having to verify the current device/file info on the larger microSD card before it would download the info. So, I had to restore my original backup to the new larger microSD before it would connect with the servers at naviextras and download the new files.

I believe it ties the download and the files to the exact GPS device that's on your account to prevent us from passing the files around to each other to use.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #92

Quote:

1. On the Jensen unit, open the tiny slot on the top right corner and remove the microSD card. It is very small, 15 mm x 11 mm. IMMEDIATELY place the card into a sealed envelope so you don't lose it. (You will need a micro to standard SD card adapter - see below - so if you have one, go ahead and place it into the adapter.)

3. Make note of your Jensen model number from the unit or from your manual. You will need this during the process.

2. Go to naviextras.com and create an account. You can use the site as a "Guest" but before getting the update you will need an account so go ahead and create one. I believe during this process it will ask you to ID the unit for which you are registering.

3. You will receive an email verification to test the email address you gave them. click on the link to verify your email address. You will be taken to a page that confirms your registration.

4. Return to the naviextras.com home page and if not already logged in, then log in.

5. On the left side, click on "Maps and More"

6. On the Maps page, look for the "Free Updates" tab and select it.

7. You will see the line, "f you have not installed the Naviextras Toolbox yet, please download it from here." Click on "here" and install the software.

8. At the end of the software load process, be sure the "launch now" box is checked. (Otherwise launch the program from your Start menu (Windows PC).

9. You will see at the top of the screen "No device is connected" and you will get a screen that says "Please connect your navigation device!"

10. Insert the microSD card into a standard SD card converter. They look like this: Amazon.com: SanDisk microSD to SD Memory Card Adapter (MICROSD-ADAPTER): Computers & Accessories Hopefully you have one for a camera or some other device in your home. Otherwise you can get one at Microcenter, Best Buy, Target, etc. Insert the SD card into your computer SD card slot. (If you don't have one, you will have to get a SD card to USB port adapter, or else do this operation on someone's computer who does have one.)

11. Here's where it gets a bit hairy, but don't worry. You will get a message saying to "disconnect" your system (the SD card) or else if you proceed your system may be corrupted! You can try disconnecting (removing the SD card) and reconnecting a couple more tries but it didn't work for me. Instead, click "Ignore" and proceed.

12. The software immediately prompts you to run a backup of your system before making any changes. Don't skip this step! (It may say it will take a few hours but on a modern computer should only take 5-10 mins.)

13. After the backup is done, there will be a screen saying something awkward to the effect "system fixes are needed." Go ahead and click this, and this will run the update for you. Don't worry as the screen runs through file after file after file. These are the maps being updated.

13. When done, you can close the software and remove your card. (The technically correct way to remove your card is to right click on the storage device icon in the taskbar tray (or else open Windows Explorer and right click on the storage device listed under "Computer") and select "Eject" - you can then safely remove the SD card.

14. Remove the microSD card from the standard SD card converter and immediately either place it into your unit or place it again in a sealed envelope until you do, so you don't lose it.
All that works great....unless you're running an Apple computer. Naviextras response was to "borrow somebody else's computer" to get the update.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #93

That is by far the easiest solution, although far from ideal!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #94

In addition to my Jensen-equipped Sunseeker, I own a '14 Harley bagger with the infotainment system. They both have GPS systems that are based on iGo and have outdated maps & POIs. There is no comparison in usability, POI breadth and up-to-dateness, and value compared to my $100 Garmin w/lifetime updates.

I bought both the bike and the RV to get lost and have fun, which I do.

To everyone who feels cheated by FR or Jensen: Didn't you check into this before you dropped all that coin on your new coach? You compared with the competition, right? (oops) ...and you still bought the FR?
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #95

I bought the Forester because the coach design / floorplan / storage / etc works for me. The useless Jensen is just a minor issue that I will update / replace soon.
Jim
2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #96

VWexpert wrote [QUOTE]I bought the Forester because the coach design / floorplan / storage / etc works for me. The useless Jensen is just a minor issue that I will update / replace soon.
Jim/QUOTE]
Really Jim, you got the radio with outdated maps? I so, contact Igo asap as they may honor the 30 day window as the end user like me.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #97

I received my free map update but that doesn't fix the poor interface the Jensen GPS has. The fonts are way to small / it tells me the speed limit on Hwy 5 is 50 mph / and its just difficult to see and navigate through it's interface compared to a Garmin. It's a nice radio...it just needs a Garmin GPS interface.
2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #98

There are many double DIN units that you can use to replace the Jensen. There are some new Alpine units that offer both Apple and Android Car Play systems. Some do every thing the Jensen does. Including play video on your overhead TV.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 AM   #99
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hfarms View Post
Don't mean to hi jack your post, but I have a problem, the estimated time of arrival is not accurate. At times it can be 2 or more hours off. This can be very annoying when planning a trip. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought maybe an update would fix the problem, but have not been able to get an answer from the manufacturer.
Oh, I never believe the "arrival" time. It's a "conservative" estimate. The "arrival time" continuously adjusts itself.

I get a kick out of playing "Beat the GPS."

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #100

Arrival time on GPS

I have the same issues and can get no answers. This is very aggravating for me . Wish someone had an answer.
5hfarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, jensen