Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
X3
Why? well at 1/2 tank you have options to find the best price (for instance we have recently learned to NEVER buy Diesel in IN or MI - it's 20-30/gal cheaper in KY/TN).
I am with BamaBob. I start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank and shopping prices...plus find one I can get into and out of easily. Gas Buddy is a big help but it doesn't tell you a 57' long rig can get into their lot! First long trip we took as new campers, we ran down to about 1/4 tank, then burned that looking for a station we could get into; was on fumes by the time I filled up. I agree with earlier poster that whomever designs gas pump islands currently has NEVER pulled an RV and had to fill with fuel.

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
I am with BamaBob Gas Buddy is a big help but it doesn't tell you a 57' long rig can get into their lot!.
That's what google maps is for. Find the stations on Gas Buddy. insert the address in google maps. set it to "Earth", zoom in and you can see the station layout.

I always fill the tank either before I hit the campground for the night or at the first available Diesel fuel station on my way out the next day. There is usually a Station with Diesel near the campgrounds. So what if it costs a dime or even Quarter more a gallon. I get almost 14 mpg with the Sunseeker and trailer and most I have ever put in it is 20 gallons. I would rather pay $5 more for fuel that drive around looking for a cheaper place. Time is money and each mile you go out of your way accounts to less money you save.

There is a Marathon station four miles from my house. It has the cheapest diesel in the area. Trouble is its on a major intersection and the way it is laid out, it is impossible for me to get in and out of it.
Several days before each trip, I go by my local RV center to fill the propane tank up. When I leave there I make a left, go a quarter mile, make another left at a turn arrow, go a half mile and turn right into a Marathon station and drive straight forward into the fuel pump. Once done, I go forward, turn right, and drive home. Yes I have paid a dime more a gallon, but I have only gone a half mile out of my way, and it was easy in and easy out. Now I don't need to worry about fuel until three hours into my next trip nor getting propane for the first week.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #23

[QUOTE=DreiHunde;1265648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

X2
Shorten service life? Possible
Void Warranty? No

But as far as looking for fuel.....I start the search at 1/2 tank whenever I'm on roads that I don't travel often
Are you positive?

My step son belongs to a automobile club that does rallies, a little drag racing, etc. First off about half the guys in the club have more money than brains. One of the guys in the club took his brand new Shelby Mustang on one of the rallies. That weekend included some oval racing, a road course, and of course Drag Racing. He was getting on it hard all weekend until he finally blew the clutch and transmission.

Warranty wouldn't cover a dime of the repairs because of owner abuse. The computer showed everything, engine redlining, clutch popping, etc.
Read your warranty.. Defects in Materials and workmanship. Vehicle abuse is not covered.

Hey, its your vehicle, If you want to take the chance on burning your fuel pump up by running the fuel tank too low, that's your perrogative. Me, I will fill up at around 1/4 tank, I need to stop and stretch my legs every couple hours anyway.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #24
Chief tinkerer

On the interstate we fill at 1/4 and have seen the "uh oh" light once in 5000 miles. Never heard of an in tank pump being damaged by low fuel but if it did, I would win the warranty argument if there was one. When we leave the highway to head for the campsite for more than an overnight, we top it off at that exit if it's under 1/2. That just lets us put more miles behind us before our first stop when we head out.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:11 AM   #25
The Texas Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Welcome to Michigan. the state with some of the highest gas taxes in the nation , along with some of the worst roads!!!

I only saw one other person mention a very important reason for trying never let your fuel/gas tank get below 1/4. That is the fact that the fuel pump is located in the tank in most of today's vehicles and being immersed in fuel is how the motor dissipates heat.

I am not sure how many of you have actually seen what a fuel pump and pickup assembly looks like, but in most cases, the fuel pump is a 2 1/2" diameter x 4" tall cylinder with the fuel pickup and screen at the bottom. It will either sit almost vertical or at a 45 angle. Due to this configuration you should keep 3" - 4" of fuel in your tank to keep the pump motor completely immersed in fuel. The engineers have set up the low fuel light to come on just prior to the top of the fuel pump no longer being covered in fuel.

The moral of the story is, if you wait for the low fuel light to come on before you search for fuel, Your fuel pump is no longer completely immersed in fuel, will be heating up, and may not last through the warranty of your vehicle.

Now your thinking, who cares, that's what warranties are for... Unfortunately with today's on-board computers, they keep track of all kinds of things, including how often that low fuel light goes on. If it goes on too many times. the failure is no longer a materials and workmanship problem but rather a user misuse issue and you may be stuck paying to replace that fuel pump yourself. It isn't an easy job nor is it an inexpensive one. The fuel tank has to be emptied, then removed to access the pump assembly.
X3 squared. Regardless of warranty coverage, when that pump does fail I guarantee it won't be while parked in your driveway!
Old 07-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #26

I fill up between a 1/2 and 1/4 on my gage. I do not want to run out of diesel. I try and fill up before I enter the camp ground if I can find a easy in and out station. If not and I unhook then early in the morning I go get Diesel without the trailer hook-up. With my truck it seems when I hit that magic point of half full it seems like it just drinks the stuff up quick. It could be where the gage is located in the tank itself, but I know my truck and I don't believe the computer when it says I have 120 miles left of fuel. Did that once, got into the truck the next morning, and the first time ever I seen a flashing message low on fuel. I got to a gas station and put in 22.5 gals and it's a 25 gal tank. If I run out I know I have to bleed that fuel filter under the running board. At Least I think I do. When I had a sail boat if I ran out of Diesel I had to bleed each injector, I don't think I have to do that on my truck, but I'm not going to take the chance...PS, anyone know what I would need to do if if ever happens on a F-250 / 6.0 engine?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
On the interstate we fill at 1/4 and have seen the "uh oh" light once in 5000 miles. Never heard of an in tank pump being damaged by low fuel but if it did, I would win the warranty argument if there was one. When we leave the highway to head for the campsite for more than an overnight, we top it off at that exit if it's under 1/2. That just lets us put more miles behind us before our first stop when we head out.
Nice rig, I like it! However, running out of fuel in a MH is not as challenging as running out of fuel towing 30-43' behind you and trying to get the whole shebang completely off the road. Also, what is the capacity of the fuel tank on the F450? You may have a couple hundred miles left at 1/4 tank.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #28

I'm usually a half tank guy myself. I hit half a tank look at the available miles left and pick somewhere within that mileage to refuel.
But on a recent cross country trip with my new TV and TT I sort of stretched it. I got down lower than half a tank and was in an area of south Texas on the I-10 that was pretty sparse and non populated. As I got closer to the next town (the only town with fuel) I realized it was going to be closer than I expected so I got behind a big rig that could break the headwind and stretch my fuel range a bit.
Got into the lower part of the tank and the dummy light came on as the available miles was shrinking faster than I calculated.
Finally found an exit and drove a way's to the gas station. The on-board calculator said I had 3 miles left. A little too close to empty for me. Will have to keep an eye on that in the future. Still learning this trucks limits while towing.
RMc
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #29

Typically when it gets close to the 1/2 mark, we start looking for a station we can fit into. Gotta luv the Flying J stations with a RV island!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #30
(Dry Huunday)

[QUOTE=ShermanD;1265767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post

Are you positive?

My step son belongs to a automobile club that does rallies, a little drag racing, etc. First off about half the guys in the club have more money than brains. One of the guys in the club took his brand new Shelby Mustang on one of the rallies. That weekend included some oval racing, a road course, and of course Drag Racing. He was getting on it hard all weekend until he finally blew the clutch and transmission.

Warranty wouldn't cover a dime of the repairs because of owner abuse. The computer showed everything, engine redlining, clutch popping, etc.
Read your warranty.. Defects in Materials and workmanship. Vehicle abuse is not covered.

Hey, its your vehicle, If you want to take the chance on burning your fuel pump up by running the fuel tank too low, that's your perrogative. Me, I will fill up at around 1/4 tank, I need to stop and stretch my legs every couple hours anyway.
There is a world of difference between what you described and letting the factory installed low fuel light come on. How long are you going to be driving after the light comes on? Not long at all and there isn't even a warning against doing so in the owners manual.

Again, it "May" shorten the pumps life but that would be hard to prove. I don't see where this would be "Vehicle abuse"

And if you would have read my post you would have known that I start looking at 1/2 a tank. I was just agreeing with the other post on the warranty deal.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas