Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
I am not retired so we try for max of 350 per day. I only run 60 to 63 mph. Just keep living the dream!

Jerry. Vietnam vet.
jgahlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
I don't like long drives but I figure why stop. If I did I would just be swapping the seat behind the steering wheel for a lawn chair. Might as well keep going to my destination. Around eighteen hours has been the max for me on a number of occasions.

comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea
I have gone from Fort Collins to Los Angeles non-stop, but will never do that again.
Last summer we drove from Yellowstone to Boomtown, Reno non-stop in a class C. I guess I'm getting older. If it had been 10 more miles I would have just pulled over...
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Towing a travel trailer I've done 600 miles in one hit (with the exception of gas stops, border crossings and rest breaks). From departure to landing it took about 14 hours. Not something I'd do again. Now, I tow for no more than 8 hours, including stops. This is enough to get me from Calgary to Spokane/Kalispell/Polson where I stage until we are ready to move onward if necessary.

When I'm not towing I have done nearly 900 miles in a day. Again, not something I want to repeat. The last long journey was Phoenix to Calgary in two days. Now we fly there and rent a car for a couple of weeks. It's about the same price as driving when you factor the gas costs, overnight hotels, etc. but flying only take 3 hours and I don't spend days recovering from the journey, making the vacation far more enjoyable now.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
Well no trailer involved but drive 600 miles about once a week for work I'd like to think on an interstate I could do the same towing a trailer. The actual longest I have towed was 386 miles in one day left at 5 am 2 stops for gas and one for breakfast was done by noon. Could have done another 2 1/2 hrs without a thought . You can get quit a distance when you drive for 2 hrs take a break for an hour and for meals and finish around dinner time.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
I tend to stay between 5-8 hours a day for driving
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Just got back from driving PHX to Moab to Denver to Chicago pulling an 8000 lb. Rockwood 8329SS. It amounted to 7 days driving from noon (we are retired and don't like getting up early) til about 5. Saw the sites, took our time and when we got home we both were disappointed we had to put the RV away.
The time and milage were both influenced by the terrain and winds. With head winds...50mph was max and crossing over the Rockies at times was in the 35 MPH range plus I never allowed the speed to go over 55MPH.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
Average Joe
I plan for about 300 miles a day. That's my comfort zone and I get cranky after that. Like others, I have done a lot more, but I don't like it.
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
We average 45 mph overall when traveling once we account for stops and we're not morning people (leaving before 10 or 11 is difficult for us) but have no problem staying on the road until later (9-10).

My ideal day is a maximum of 200 miles, but we rarely have the luxury of time.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou
Funny thing about drive length. Like the type of camping we do is different, the way we look at the experience also differs.

For example, when we travel to our destination, we like to depart the enroute campgrounds after rush hour (about 9 AM) and get into the next campground spot no later than 3 or 4 at the latest. That gets us in in time to set up without rushing, check the services, check out the pool, and have dinner at our regular hour. For us, the getting there is part of the whole experience.

For others, the destination is everything and maxing out the time there is the thing. "Dad" (or mom) drives like a lunatic while the kids and the sig other sleep. Then the driver naps at the campground spot while the rest get on with "the vacation." The "Drive" is a nasty thing best done quickly.

Both are great. Each have their own pro's and con's

Just remember it is all about

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote