Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #1

How tall is my RV?

I own a 2017 Forester 3011ds. I'm currently planning some trips and noticed some tunnels I would have go through. My specs say it's 11.25ft exterior height. Does that include AC and vents??
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post
I own a 2017 Forester 3011ds. I'm currently planning some trips and noticed some tunnels I would have go through. My specs say it's 11.25ft exterior height. Does that include AC and vents??
Probably not.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

Usually factory specs include the ac unit in the listed heights but a measurement on level ground would prove that.

2015 Forester 3051s

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Class C Representative

In our brochure it is listed as " Exterior Height With A/C- 11'3"."
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Site Team

I've noticed that in recent years the mfg's have gotten a lot better about including the A/C (or other highest protrusion) in the listed height. I've checked a few newer RV's and all of them have been really close to the stated height. A few years ago that wasn't the case. They only listed the highest point on the roof itself. No protrusions were included.

Having said that, I'd always measure it myself, just to be sure!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
WFD

I would measure it on level ground to be safe and so you know for sure.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

While checking heights allowed for tunnels, also check widths and propane rules. I can't speak to most of the country but many tunnels in the northeast US corridor have propane and/or width restrictions. For example, vehicles over 96" wide and/or carrying more than 20lbs of propane are not allowed in the McHenry tunnel in Baltimore. And, you will be stopped.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
While checking heights allowed for tunnels, also check widths and propane rules. I can't speak to most of the country but many tunnels in the northeast US corridor have propane and/or width restrictions. For example, vehicles over 96" wide and/or carrying more than 20lbs of propane are not allowed in the McHenry tunnel in Baltimore. And, you will be stopped.
According to the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) website, no single container carrying more than ten pounds of propane is allowed in the Fort McHenry Tunnel or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. The website is at Propane Regulations.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

Note, that the regulation quoted specifically addresses "bottles". "Bottles" are DOT approved containers....like those used on BBQ grills and trailers. Most Motorhomes use ASME certified "tanks" which are totally different.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
MCTroy

Ok, so a silly question: how do you measure a TT to get the real height including the AC etc? Dh didn't like getting on the roof. Anyone have a trick?
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
In our brochure it is listed as " Exterior Height With A/C- 11'3"."

That height is confirmed with actual measurement on ours! We have a 2015 but it is exactly 11'3" with the airbags at 60 psi.

My rule of thumb is nothing under 12 feet to leave a little wiggle room. And even, then I slow way down if it's less than 13.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #12

How tall is my RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post

Yes, it does as long as you are running original equipment on top.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Ok, so a silly question: how do you measure a TT to get the real height including the AC etc? Dh didn't like getting on the roof. Anyone have a trick?
Hmmm,. You could always use shadow lengths, angles, and trigonometry. Or be lazy like me and lay a long straight edge over the top of the highest point and measure from it to the ground. Being hooked up would be more precise. Use a ladder if you don't want to get on the roof. Easier with 2 people. Good luck!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #14

After measuring as mentioned above in other posts, I wrote these infos (and others) as a checklist and paste it on the rear of the sunvisor for easy access by just flipping down.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
Chief tinkerer

Read in another forum about a guy using a wireless "nanny cam" on his bus so he could see the passenger side front tire to stay off the curb at toll booths, etc. Never heard of one on top, but...... ?

Gary

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Site Team

To measure mine I use some light wood (usually thin plywood turned on edge) and make a right angle. The horizontal piece only needs to be about 5' long and the vertical piece about 8' long. Gently lay the horizontal piece on top of the highest protrusion and plumb the vertical piece with the side of the RV and measure from the bottom of the horizontal piece to the ground.

You could also use lightweight aluminum to construct the right angle. It would be a little more rigid and a little more lightweight.

I also tape the measuring tape end to the vertical piece right at the horizontal piece, so I don't have to fiddle with it in the air.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #17

how high

Rather than relying on the specs., I went up with a four foot level and placed it on the highest point. (the ac unit). My neighbor extended a tape measure and noted the exact height. We double-checked it and I then placed the height in metric and imperial on the dash using a labeler.

Now I know for sure.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

I took a long paint roller extension handle and tired heavy string to each end. Laid it across the front A/C unit and had the DW make a mark where each string touched the ground. Then used a tape measure to determine the height on each side as the RV was not totally level.
Final result is 13'7". A bit high but I have travelled the country for two years and not hit anything yet. The Garmin 760 helps. I have had to detour a couple of times but no big deal.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Note, that the regulation quoted specifically addresses "bottles". "Bottles" are DOT approved containers....like those used on BBQ grills and trailers. Most Motorhomes use ASME certified "tanks" which are totally different.
I received this reply from MDTA when I inquired about propane last fall. Quoted in part...

Thank you for your email and for contacting the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). Financed solely by toll revenue, the MDTA is a State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities.

We appreciate your interest in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. As you are aware, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and ​Baltimore Harbor tunnels. It does not matter whether or not the bottles are turned on or off. If you do not exceed 10 pounds per container, you would be permitted through the tunnel.

For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.

End quote.

Now we have to confirm what Maryland considers a "bottle."

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #20

In my humble opinion (worth what you paid for it):
Sounds to me the rule, more properly, would be "No more than 10 lbs of propane per container". The container type is irrelevant, but the quantity of the content is relevant. One question to ask: Do you permit propane powered vehicles through the tunnel? Chances are, they do not.