Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

How to Keep Clock running

One of the nice features on my 3011 is the Jensen JWM6A Audio system above the entry door. The position of the unit is perfect as we can see the display while sitting or watching TV and then as we are leaving we can turn it off on the way out. I have not used it much yet, but it seem to do most of what we need except for one thing. It would be great if it could keep the clock running when the RV has the DC disconnect off. During the summer months this would be very helpful as then we would not have to set up the clock every time we set up at a camp site. I was hoping the unit would have an internal battery or a wire lead that could be connected directly to the house battery but that is not the case. And since we would be using it every week or two, the drain on the battery would not have much affect.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a simple solution to maintain time on whatever device/system you have when power is disconnected?

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #2

The only way to keep it running when the disconnect is off is to rewire the power wire to a terminal that is always hot. I don't turn my disconnect off. I store my rig at home and keep it plugged in. I mostly dry camp and have a portable solar panel.
You are right about the Jenson. I like everything about it
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

How to Keep Clock running

Don't turn the battery disconnect switch off until you put the unit into storage. It can certainly stay on when traveling between campsites. In fact, that will allow the batteries to be charged by the engine alternator.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 08-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #4

Just picked up our new 2017 3011ds with same radio unit. Could you please tell me how to set the clock? Haven't located to manual yet.
Thanks
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy1016 View Post
Just picked up our new 2017 3011ds with same radio unit. Could you please tell me how to set the clock? Haven't located to manual yet.
Thanks
Here's the manual for you. Quick search.

http://www.asaelectronics.com/downlo...ers_manual.pdf

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #6

Thank you
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #7

One thing to note about the whole-house shut off... it'll shut off the power to the refer control board, thus shutting the fridge down. You are probably saying "Yea, it's supposed to do that!", and you are correct - but I was in such a habit of shutting it off when I finished a day's project that I shut it off by habit when we were setting up a few days prior to a trip. Next day, my wife is wondering why the food is a bit warmer than it should have been (4°/35°). I started down the road of trying to figure out why our brand new fridge had died... When I figured out it was an ID-10-T error.

Since then, I quit shutting it off. And that dang clock in the radio stays on too! (Though I have to dig out the manual every time to reset it - that's not user-friendly). Otherwise, the Jensen is a pretty good unit. Much better than that thing they call a GPS in the Radio/BlueTooth/etc in the dash.

(IDIOT)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #8

As part of my project to rewire and install new batteries I am going to run a hot wire directly from the batteries to a switch connected to the radio which will be separate from the main disconnect. The idea here is that during the summertime I will leave the unit powered up and when it is in storage for the winter it will be disconnected. Since I have now have solar on the roof, keeping the radio powered up during the summer won't drain the batteries as they are being recharged every day by the solar.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote