Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Hub Cap noise

One of my recent line items for service on my 3011 is a noise coming from the drivers side front end. When I picked it up they said the noise was actually coming from the hub cap which they removed and remounted. Sure enough early in the drive home all was quiet but then by the time I was nearing home, the noise was back again in full force. To make sure that this was the source of the noise, I removed the hub cap on the drive over to my storage space. Sure enough, it was a quiet ride. Now, I dd not have a chance to swap driver and passenger side hub caps to see if that made a difference but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they resolved it short of replacing the hub cap?

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Cyclone

This is a common problem on any class A with hub caps. If you search the forums you will find some info on the Berkshire section about it too. It occurs because the rim is actually flexing at the bottom as it turns. The weight causes the rim to deform slightly at the bottom but not the hub cap. As such there is always movement between the two. A lot of people add a small piece of rubber between the hub cap and the rim for it to rub on that is not as loud.

2013 Silverado 3500 D CC, 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375bhfs

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

To make a long story short, the noise that I was told by the dealer that was coming from the hubcap, was actually being caused by the the metal struts supporting the floorboard on the driver side. It's finally fixed, as I had to do it myself. I still have one concern the the noise may come back as where they mounted the strut actually contacts another piece of the frame (red circle) and after some miles and more chassis flexing it could come back. At least this time I'll know how to fix it!

Step 1 - left vehicle at dealer for warranty repair, they found no problem.

Step 2 - left vehicle for warranty repair again, this time I had the dealer bring the RV over to a local Ford dealer who does truck repair to have it looked at. The dealer got it back and told me it was the hub cap. Obviously it was not after driving it home. I called Ford dealer directly to ask them what they found and they told the RV dealer that it was the running board.

Step 3 - After the next trip and having to endure the noise for the entire ride, I took the RV back to the Ford dealer myself. This time I had them show me exactly what the issue was. All the guy had to do was get on the running board and jump and down a bit and it was obvious the problem was the running board. One reason I did not find this myself is that I am considerably lighter than the Ford tech so it was much easier for him to diagnose the problem. He did offer to fix the problem for me but told me they would have to charge me since this was a motor home manufacturer problem which I understand. Finally, I have to give a big shout out to Yocum ford as they were awesome and went out of their way to try and help.

Step 4 - Having no confidence in the dealer to fix this problem I decided to to do it myself. This weekend I had some time as our trip got cancelled again because of the continuing AC problem (another thread).

Step 5 - I removed both struts from under the driver side running board. As it turns out, the 2 bolts at the top had started to pull through the frame on each strut probably because they were not sufficiently sized to handle the constant stress of people getting in and out. FR only used 1/4 inch self tapping screws when they probably should have drilled out the holes and used larger bolts which is exactly what I did (see pic). I also put some grease on all the metal to metal parts between straps, struts and body/frame to try and minimize squeaks from coming back. I also used washers on all the connections which where non-existent on the factory install.

So for now, the noise is gone. I bought some extra bolts just in case this starts happening on the passenger side as well.

Finally, I am pretty sure that if I had persisted with trying to have the dealer fix this issue, I would have burnt up at least $100 in gas and tolls over multiple trips not to mention the time and just maybe it would have gotten fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal contact.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	113712  
Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #4

I'm also hearing a noise on my driver side...they guy at Camping World told me the same thing it , was the hub cap and they said. If it keeps on you will have to take it to a Ford Dealer. So I need to look under mine also...thanks for the info.
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 AM   #5

Self-tapping screws to support a running board??? Forest River must be seeking a lawsuit

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

A funny thing happened along the way. During the process of removing the hub cap and putting it back on multiple times to diagnose the noise, the hub cap actually did start to make some creaking noises when driving slowly. A little white lithium grease on the hub cap tongs and at the contact points on the wheel seems to have solved that problem for now.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Self-tapping screws to support a running board??? Forest River must be seeking a lawsuit
Not saying it's right or wrong but it is a very common method for installing running boards.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise