Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

I have 2381 Forester(2018). What runs off the

generator? Do I have to have it plugged into electricity to run air conditioner, microwave?
Jasmin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin12 View Post
generator? Do I have to have it plugged into electricity to run air conditioner, microwave?
Your whole unit, same as you where plugged in. Still you will be limited to 30 amps, with a 4kw genny.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

So no you do not have to be plugged in to run everything, I hope that answers your question, make sure you run it once a month for a 1/2 hr. Under a load, either use your a.c. or in the winter a space heater.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Your whole unit, same as you where plugged in. Still you will be limited to 30 amps, with a 4kw genny.
I had it running today(generator) but air conditioner didn't work. I will keep trying.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Check your a.c. breaker, the generator connects to your electrical panel, so everything should be hot.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Empty Nesters

In my Sunseeker (very similar to a Forrester) I do not have a transfer switch and have to physically connect my power cord to the generator outlet. It's in the bay with the power cord.

Your dealer should have taught you all of this.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
In my Sunseeker (very similar to a Forrester) I do not have a transfer switch and have to physically connect my power cord to the generator outlet. It's in the bay with the power cord.

Your dealer should have taught you all of this.
They did show me a lot & it could be my memory. [emoji4]
Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Team

The Ford Transit Series comes with a smaller generator than the bigger E-450 based units. It is a 2.5KW LPG generator. That is 2500 watts or approximately 22 Amps.

You do not need to do anything to use it, and you do have an automatic transfer switch, so it is ready to go. We had a TS2390 Sunseeker so I'm pretty familiar with your set up.

What the issue can be is all about power management. You only have approximately 22 Amps of power when on the generator. You can run anything that is 115VAC but you can't run some things at the same time. Those 22Amps gets used up really quickly...

Here are a few examples:

Your converter always pulls some power, as little as 1-2 Amps to as much as 5 amps when charging your coach battery. (You probably only have one 12VDC house battery) So lets call it 2Amps and your down to 20Amps available.

If you have the 3-way refrigerator it can be run on 12VDC. That can be 5-7 Amps. Hint: Set it on Auto and let it choose as it will go to LP and save you some AC power.

If you have the Truma Combi set to use electric as well as LP for heating water, or Boost Mode, that is another 3-7 Amps. We'll call it 3Amps and that means your down to 17Amps...

The convection microwave will pull up to 8Amps.

Your air conditioner may pull up to 18 Amps on start up, or when cycling, or 7-10 amps while running, so you are out of power.

You cannot run multiple 115VAC items when on generator. You have to turn off the A/C to run the convection microwave for example. Running a standard hair dryer means no A/C. My wife tripped every breaker in the rig while she was getting used to what would work with what on generator. The good news is when you are connected to a power pedestal, with 30 Amps service, you can use all 30 Amps... But you still have to manage that usage, although not as closely, as you can't run everything even on a 30Amps service.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The Ford Transit Series comes with a smaller generator than the bigger E-450 based units. It is a 2.5KW LPG generator. That is 2500 watts or approximately 22 Amps.

You do not need to do anything to use it, and you do have an automatic transfer switch, so it is ready to go. We had a TS2390 Sunseeker so I'm pretty familiar with your set up.

What the issue can be is all about power management. You only have approximately 22 Amps of power when on the generator. You can run anything that is 115VAC but you can't run some things at the same time. Those 22Amps gets used up really quickly...

Here are a few examples:

Your converter always pulls some power, as little as 1-2 Amps to as much as 5 amps when charging your coach battery. (You probably only have one 12VDC house battery) So lets call it 2Amps and your down to 20Amps available.

If you have the 3-way refrigerator it can be run on 12VDC. That can be 5-7 Amps. Hint: Set it on Auto and let it choose as it will go to LP and save you some AC power.

If you have the Truma Combi set to use electric as well as LP for heating water, or Boost Mode, that is another 3-7 Amps. We'll call it 3Amps and that means your down to 17Amps...

The convection microwave will pull up to 8Amps.

Your air conditioner may pull up to 18 Amps on start up, or when cycling, or 7-10 amps while running, so you are out of power.

You cannot run multiple 115VAC items when on generator. You have to turn off the A/C to run the convection microwave for example. Running a standard hair dryer means no A/C. My wife tripped every breaker in the rig while she was getting used to what would work with what on generator. The good news is when you are connected to a power pedestal, with 30 Amps service, you can use all 30 Amps... But you still have to manage that usage, although not as closely, as you can't run everything even on a 30Amps service.

Hope this helps...
Thank you very much. I will keep trying.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #10

Generator Cummins Onan RV QG 2800

It runs for a few mins. & shuts off. When I tried to run the fridge it gave me an error #6 does not work on 12V. The generator was running when I tried the fridge.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
It runs for a few mins. & shuts off. When I tried to run the fridge it gave me an error #6 does not work on 12V. The generator was running when I tried the fridge.
Is your refer 3 way ? Electric, propane and 12 volt? Not many are. What shuts off? Not clear to me.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #12

If you have a 12 volt refer, your generator is not powering it on 12 volt, it would power your converter only, don't understand

Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #13

I have 2381 Forester(2018). What runs off the

There is a breaker on the generator or there is on my Onan 4K unit. It will trip if I overload the generator. Check for a main breaker and reset it.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
So no you do not have to be plugged in to run everything, I hope that answers your question, make sure you run it once a month for a 1/2 hr. Under a load, either use your a.c. or in the winter a space heater.
It only runs for 5min. & shuts off, on the panel it has a light fault. I will be making an appointment at a dealers to get it looked at & fixed. Do you have the Truma heating system? I am still getting use to it
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
It only runs for 5min. & shuts off, on the panel it has a light fault. I will be making an appointment at a dealers to get it looked at & fixed. Do you have the Truma heating system? I am still getting use to it
I took it to the dealer & they found out something was bent & it would not shift into high(?).

Tags
forester