Old 10-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #31

Trailer defects

Anyone concerned about buying an RV for fear of trailer defects, don't worry they all seems to have them. With the last 2 new trailers I bought Coachmen Chapperal and then Flagstaff, I bought them knowing there would be lots and I wasn't disappointed. Don't buy an RV unless you are going to use it a lot in order to find all the bugs. Make sure you use your trailer a lot during the warrantee period. Research the dealer you buy from, they can be your best friend in dealing with warrantee issues and there will be. Once you get all the defects and bugs worked out you are going to have tons of fun!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #32

We have a 3014 Sunseeker 3010ds and have 7000 miles of trouble free fun. I would by another. The most important thing is the dealer you purchase from. Our PDI was over 4 hours long and we recorded the key set up point for future reference. Everything was tested and demonstrated by the tech. Our dealer (Dehaan RV, Elkhorn Wis) was and is fantastic. When selecting you dealer inquire about the time they require for the PDI. Ask there service manager and get a feel for there commitment. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #33

We had a Prowler, then a Crossroads Cruiser. Now own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite TT. A few minor issues were handled promptly and generously. We will ONLY buy Forest River from now on.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #34

We are Forest River owners, Cedar Creek 5th wheel. All I can say is that Forest River seems to be the ONLY manufacturer that will bend over backwards to 'make right' any problems an owner has. We've seen it both in and out of warranty. I'd advise you to be sure that you have a dealer in good standing, one who has a reputation of taking care of problems. There will ALWAYS be a problem... but it's the matter of who fixes it. FWIW, we saw hundreds of RVs at the FROG Rally this past August, and every single one of them had the opportunity to have problems fixed...and even problems that they didn't know about, but were noticed by technicians. We are VERY satisfied customers, and when you consider that we buy our RV to take out on the road and enjoy it -- you can't ask for more than a company that stands behind every product they make, 110%
Old 10-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #35

Dehaan is a great place to purchase from and for service.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #36
Tinkerer and Putterer

We had a roof failure at the seam where the cap meets the roof on our 2013 3011 DSF. The weak point that caused the failure was fixed in the 2015s so don't worry about that failure on the unit you're looking at. I skipped the dealership angst you read so much about in this forum and took the rig right to the manufacturer even though it meant driving from NC to Indiana to do so. They fixed it up, made it right and fixed or modified multiple items that they had improved on the later rigs. Winnebago won't do that. Thor didn't do that. Heck Newmar won't do that. This company has picked a tough road to go. They are trying to build an economical RV that appeals to the masses with good after service support when they are limited by material costs, independent dealership performance, buyer expectations and production line limitations.

My rig has loose items and I did have a bad post sale dealership experience but that was the dealership. The company and product are good. I just ticked over 10K on the odometer and we didn't have any issues this year other than wear and tear issues. The rig is solid and other than an awning repair and a desire to swap out the stove and microwave for a cooktop, convection microwave and a dishwasher I wouldn't change a thing

My recommendation to you would be to grill your dealer. in the walk through make them go through the rig. Plan on it taking at LEAST a day. Ask for them to...

turn on the fridge on propane to make sure it cools. Check it with a temperature probe to make sure it cooled sufficiently to keep your food cool (40 degrees F). If you have the time, turn it off, open it up, warm it up and then switch it over to electric and see if it cools down again.

scope the holding tanks for debris. You can rent a plumbers camera from Home Depot or Lowes.

Ask them to fill the air bags and record the air pressure they entered.

Ask them to fill the freshwater tank and then run all of the water through all of the plumbing including the shower, sinks and toilet. Find out where that pump is and stare at it to check for leaks. Stick your head under the sinks, around the toilet, in the shower etc to check for leaks.

Turn on the water heater, both the gas and electric

Dump the tanks to check for leaks etc.

Power on the generator and then test all of the devices. You will want to load up the generator so I would also specifically start the AC and then fire up the microwave with a cup of water in it to make sure that the genny stays on and the water heats up.

Play with the cameras and GPS on the unit. Make sure you can go through the menus.

Get up on the roof and walk it. Look for damage, high spots, low spots where the roof joins the walls etc. Look for exposed screw heads that don't have sealant on top of them and ask for them to be sealed with Dicor.

Run the slides in and out multiple times watching and listening for bad noises, jumping, or unusual movements like a slide that tilts moving out or one that fails to open smoothly on both sides. Check on the outside and inside. Get down on your knees and look at the seals to make sure they aren't loose, torn or damaged.

Break out a hose and spray down the entire rig. Hit the sides, top etc and ask someone to watch for leaks on the inside. I would do this with the slide in and out. When the slide is in, spray the water parallel to the rig to simulate driving down the road as well as sitting still.

Last step, recheck those bags to see if the pressure has dropped.

Or you can pay for a mobile repair tech to come and do the inspection for you to the tune of about 500 - 1k. If you see any of these ask for them to be addressed before you sign the dotted line. If you don't want to deal with any fixes think of that money as payment for time not lost!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #37

We took delivery of our 2016, 2251-SLS at the end of July. We've spent about 20 nights in the rig but have driven only about 3K mi. Our previous unit was a Class B on a trouble free Chevy chassis so we wanted another Chevy. This rig has definitely exceeded all of our expectations! Poor or sporadic quality control is present through out the RV industry. Our Forrester appears to have been a solid "Wednesday" unit with only minor items needing attention. If you are not prepared to tinker a little bit you probably wouldn't be content in any manufacturer's unit.
2016 Forester 2251SLE
"Pete" the Toad
Run-Forest-Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Anyone concerned about buying an RV for fear of trailer defects, don't worry they all seems to have them. With the last 2 new trailers I bought Coachmen Chapperal and then Flagstaff, I bought them knowing there would be lots and I wasn't disappointed. Don't buy an RV unless you are going to use it a lot in order to find all the bugs. Make sure you use your trailer a lot during the warrantee period. Research the dealer you buy from, they can be your best friend in dealing with warrantee issues and there will be. Once you get all the defects and bugs worked out you are going to have tons of fun!
X2 !!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #39

Lexington 283GTS. We bought it three years ago used with 24K miles and have had no troubles. Even got 6 tires replaced free in the Michelin recall. The only work we have done is routine maintenance and redecorating. We absolutely love it. Lots if use including a two month trip from Northeast Ontario to Florida last winter.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #40

We are happy with our purchase. We don't live in a perfect world and we take our rigs down the highways sometimes somethings come loose. I do agree most units have a design flaw or two. All that said I can't see myself ordering a unit. I would buy What I can see, touch and smell. Check out a unit closely and take a friend. If it doesn't look right walk away. Even with that there can be problems. The dealer you buy from is the next issue. Can they fix it in a timely manner. No sure things but do all you can do.