Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Ice Maker Issue?

On a 3 week trip during April/May our icemaker made plenty of ice and the bin stayed full.

Today, the last day of our 2 day shakedown the icemaker has only filled and dumped 3 times.

We have plenty of water pressure and the freezer temp is fine.

If I understand icemakers properly, they fill from a solenoid, freeze and dump on a timer. If mine made no ice I'd be looking for a reason. I'm at a loss to troubleshoot slow ice.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

I've seen the same behavior with my ice maker (Refer is a Dometic RM1350) Then in the day or so it fill the bin. I too have no explanation as to why.
Your explanation of how they work is correct.
Just a couple of things to add.

Timer only runs if freezer temp sensor is satified.

Wire full bin sensor must be in the down position.

AC power must be present.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks. I didn't realize ice makers had a satisfaction temp but that makes sense.

I'm good on arm down and ac power. Not sure about temp as we're in the full sun, 97 outside, and freezer temp is hanging around 16 instead of the usual 0 to 7 degrees.

I believe you answered my question though.
I'll look into installing fans in the upper and lower rear compartment and think that should do it.

On the fridge helper fan subject, does any have any experience with the ARP systems?
They have a 2 fan system that looks interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arp...m/products.php
Old 07-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Net - does your fridge show readings for both fridge and freezer ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
No. I wish it did.
I purchased a 3 piece wireless thermometer with 1 sensor in the fridge and 1 in the freezer. The readout has magnets on the back so I stuck it to the fridge door. It has a hi/low temp alarm that's user settable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-22-16-08-22.png
Views:	84
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	145698
Quote:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Thank you !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you !
You're welcome.
If you order it, you need to pick up some lithium batteries for the sensors as they evidently don't mind the cold temps.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

ice maker 2017 3051s

We just got a 2017 built in 2016 3051s with a 4 door fridge and ice maker, when we went to pick it up there wasn't any ice in the tray and the guy didn't know why. I filled the water tank up at home and ran the generator for over 2 hours and nothing. In the shop now pick up tomorrow.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
We just got a 2017 built in 2016 3051s with a 4 door fridge and ice maker, when we went to pick it up there wasn't any ice in the tray and the guy didn't know why. I filled the water tank up at home and ran the generator for over 2 hours and nothing. In the shop now pick up tomorrow.
2 hours may not be enough time for the ice maker to cycle. Did you check to see if there is water in the ice maker mold. Also is the bin full arm in the down position. Are you sure that freezer temp is low enough.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
I also have a 2017 Forester 3051S built in November 2016 with a 4 door fridge & ice maker.

Steve- W is correct. In addition, if you're trying to make ice from your fresh water tank the water pump must be on. Then check at either sink to be sure you're getting water flow. If not, check the valves in the water pump compartment to be sure they're in the proper position.

A side question. Are you doing all of this on generator power because you're unable to plug into 30 amp shore power?

Did you know you can plug into a normal household receptacle using a 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor as long as you don't use the air conditioner, microwave, etc.

The RV with the fridge running on AC current plus all of the parasitic loads pulls less than 10 amps.

The Progressive Dynamics converter on our rigs is an excellent multi-stage battery charger so despite what you may have been told, you can leave it plugged in 24/7.
Mine is plugged in anytime we're not on the road. The batteries water level is still full and has been since I purchased it in January.

Hope we can help you figure it out.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
2 hours may not be enough time for the ice maker to cycle. Did you check to see if there is water in the ice maker mold. Also is the bin full arm in the down position. Are you sure that freezer temp is low enough.
I didn't feel any water in the mold and the wire is down. I had the pump on and the water flows from the sinks. not sure about the temp. thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
I also have a 2017 Forester 3051S built in November 2016 with a 4 door fridge & ice maker.

Steve- W is correct. In addition, if you're trying to make ice from your fresh water tank the water pump must be on. Then check at either sink to be sure you're getting water flow. If not, check the valves in the water pump compartment to be sure they're in the proper position.

A side question. Are you doing all of this on generator power because you're unable to plug into 30 amp shore power?

Did you know you can plug into a normal household receptacle using a 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor as long as you don't use the air conditioner, microwave, etc.

The RV with the fridge running on AC current plus all of the parasitic loads pulls less than 10 amps.

The Progressive Dynamics converter on our rigs is an excellent multi-stage battery charger so despite what you may have been told, you can leave it plugged in 24/7.
Mine is plugged in anytime we're not on the road. The batteries water level is still full and has been since I purchased it in January.

Hope we can help you figure it out.
The reason I used the generator is it was in our storage place. I go get it tomorrow and will see what they have to say. thanks