Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Ice Maker not working

After spending a lot of time and effort getting my refrigerator/freezer doors fixed (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...il-123750.html) I've been doing some prep work to make sure everything is working before the season gets into full swing. Everything seems to be in order except for one thing. The ice maker is not working.

My first thought is that it is related to all the work done on my fridge over the last several months. The last time we used it was in Oct 16' and it was working fine. The water goes in, it freezes but never ejects. I can manually cycle the ice maker all the way through a cycle but if I let it on it's own, nothing ever happens. So last night I took it out of the RV and removed the large gear, again the rotating arms moves just fine. And while the motor seems energized when plugged in, it never seems to move. My next step will be to connect it to an AC source in the house and see if the motor gear rotates when it's not connected to anything, if it does not, then the motor is probably shot.

I'm not sure what the warranty is, but it's probably not worth going back to CW to get it fixed (I'll never get my RV back). Additionally, trying to make the case that it was damaged somehow during the freezer repairs is probably a stretch even if it was true.

Unless anyone has any other idea's, getting a used unit on eBay maybe my next course of action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	137307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	137308  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #2

I kept thinking of the coincidence that the ice maker stopped working after getting it back from CW making repairs to the frig/freezer. That was bugging me especially after CW initially fixed the doors only for me to show up and find out that the frig would not even turn on. Based on that premise I just checked for 120V to the ice maker connector in the freezer and guess what, no power! Or actually, it shows about 3V instead of 120V even though the rest of the outlets show 120V on my voltmeter.

With this new info it looks like I need to determine where the power for the icemaker shows up in the back of the frig so I can test there. Has anyone had to do this before?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
I kept thinking of the coincidence that the ice maker stopped working after getting it back from CW making repairs to the frig/freezer. That was bugging me especially after CW initially fixed the doors only for me to show up and find out that the frig would not even turn on. Based on that premise I just checked for 120V to the ice maker connector in the freezer and guess what, no power! Or actually, it shows about 3V instead of 120V even though the rest of the outlets show 120V on my voltmeter.

With this new info it looks like I need to determine where the power for the icemaker shows up in the back of the frig so I can test there. Has anyone had to do this before?
Any headway? I was going to suggest making sure the valve for the ice maker line under the fridge was open and not closed.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Also, check the panel inside the outside vent. Next to the 120v outlet the fridge and ice maker are plugged into is a black box with fuses. They suggest you unplug the 120v and turn off your 12v disconnect before opening the black box. I'll take a picture tonight when I get off work.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

I could never get my icemaker to work. I took it to CW twice and they even replaced the icemaker, still doesn't work. I have given up and disconnected the water line.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

I'm off on a trip and will be buying Ice along the way. Looks like after messing with some wire power is on at the ice maker but still not working. This will be an item to look at when I get back.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Also, check the panel inside the outside vent. Next to the 120v outlet the fridge and ice maker are plugged into is a black box with fuses. They suggest you unplug the 120v and turn off your 12v disconnect before opening the black box. I'll take a picture tonight when I get off work.
Doggone.... Forgot to take pictures. I'll try to remember tonight.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Here's the picture......

The black box with the fuses is on the lower left. If you open the black box, just remember unplug the 2 cords shown and place your 12v battery disconnect in the OFF position before you open the box.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

Well I finally did buy a new ice maker on ebay. I had to swap the bail from my old one to my new one so the ice tray would fit underneath and the power cord is bit longer so that needed an adjustment on the wire routing but so far so good as it seems to be working ok. Now, we just need a reason to schedule another long vacation so that I can give it some good use over several days.

So for $60 bucks and some labor on my part that was probably the best option as taking it back to be replaced under warranty would have been far more frustrating, time consuming and even possibly more expensive.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #10

Glad to read you have some ice !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote