Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Ice maker throughput

We just picked up our new Forester 3051 that has the Dometic, 2 door fridge with the ice maker. The ice maker has what seems like an extremely low production rate for ice cubes. In the past ~36 hours it may have made 3/4 of the bin of ice. Does that seem low or my expectations too high? I have been running the unit on shore power, will it even produce ice on batteries?
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #2

Sounds about right to me. It's not a residential fridge so it's not as cold. And, it looses cold each time you open it. We love ours but we can run out of ice from time to time. It will make ice on propane, but if you are not hooked up to city water make sure there's water in the fresh water tank and the pump is on. I'm not positive but like your generater it won't work if you're low on water in the tank. (The gen won't run below a third of a tank of gas in the RV's fuel tank.) I think it's the same principle.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Faster on propane IMHO but yes, slower than home. So, we picked up a $99 Igloo counter top icemaker to supplement. The bin is small, but you can dump it into the fridge ice bin to fill it faster, then put it away and the fridge ice maker can pretty much maintain it. You can always plug the portable back in if entertaining. It is pretty fast, but you do need to keep dumping it and filling the reservoir.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Faster on propane IMHO but yes, slower than home. So, we picked up a $99 Igloo counter top icemaker to supplement. The bin is small, but you can dump it into the fridge ice bin to fill it faster, then put it away and the fridge ice maker can pretty much maintain it. You can always plug the portable back in if entertaining. It is pretty fast, but you do need to keep dumping it and filling the reservoir.
This exactly what we discovered we had to do. We already had a portable ice maker from our trailer so it works for use. It's amazing how much ice you use when making Frozen Margueritas! 😄

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote