Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #11

This is so easy to do. Campgrounds, narrow roads, etc...

I feel your pain...

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #12

We go to the desert many times during the winter (Yuma area) and the tree scratches are called "pin stripping". Costs a lot to get them done professionally!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I was driving home last night from the Tire shop, sun was down, overcast and raining. I moved to the right hand lane to make a right turn and heard scraping of tree branches. Never saw the tree. This morning, I saw the damage. Luckily, no punctures just a lot of scratches. Tried polishing compound, but most are still there. With the "Full body paint", could they just need some clear coat? Does insurance cover this and can they match the paint?
It always is good to know we're not alone.....I did a similar "oooops" backing out of our very long and narrow shared-driveway.

Expect to get it out with several buffing coats of Meguiars or, I'd also suggest something that Harley Davidson sells called "Scratch and Swirl." It took a couple of coats on my hail-blemished Harley...but, it also worked well on our 5th wheel. The Harley tech told me they always use it on polishing up trade-ins and he also said, expect a couple of coats, but it WILL work! He was right!
Best wishes and
Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
I was driving home last night from the Tire shop, sun was down, overcast and raining. I moved to the right hand lane to make a right turn and heard scraping of tree branches. Never saw the tree. This morning, I saw the damage. Luckily, no punctures just a lot of scratches. Tried polishing compound, but most are still there. With the "Full body paint", could they just need some clear coat? Does insurance cover this and can they match the paint?
It always is good to know we're not alone.....I did a similar "oooops" backing out of our very long and narrow shared-driveway.

Expect to get it out with several buffing coats of Maguiars or, I'd also suggest something that Harley Davidson sells called "Scratch and Swirl." It took a couple of coats on my hail-blemished Harley...but, it also worked well on our 5th wheel. The Harley tech told me they always use it on polishing up trade-ins and he also said, expect a couple of coats, but it WILL work! He was right!
Best wishes and
Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
Site Team

After getting a second boo boo I decided that an RV without injuries is an RV that isn't being used enough. OK, not really but the thought made me feel a little better.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

It's frustrating to me how many campgrounds or RV parks can't ever bother to trim a few branches back. But don't get me started on the trash left behind in sites........
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #17

In my experience body shop paint is not as good as factory and ages faster. Wait 6 months and see if it still bothers you as much. By then you will have a few parking lot side dings to add.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #18

had a buddy of mine buy a new 2015 Ford F250. He got it home and his wife came out and with great admiration she commented how nice the truck looked.

he walked to the back of the truck and kicked the lower box quarter panel putting a dent in the side and his wife saying a few choice words included asked him what the _____ he was doing.

he said what he was doing was he was not worrying about any other scratch or dent the truck would get after this - its always the first one that hurts the worst.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Canadian Contingent

If you caused the damage, it's a little easier to get over it.

If I find a dent or mark done by someone else, it pisses me off forever. (Or till I get it fixed and don't get reminded of it)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
brookstone345sa, I picked up some Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 and went to work hand rubbing out most of the scratches. I'd say 85% are gone and you have to really look to see the rest. Since it's up high, it's not noticeable. May wait now until I get it detailed in a year and have them buff out the rest. I'm feeling better now. Thanks for all the replies.
Be sure you put 2-3 coats of a good wax over the area where you removed the scratches!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote