Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I keep hoping Joshua will chime in, but no luck on that.

I have set up an appointment at the nearest Forest River dealer - they are only about 30 miles away. But it's a very large dealership that can take over a month to get an appointment. I got "lucky" and the day I called they had a cancellation So, I only have to wait 2-weeks to get it in. However, we leave on a month long trip to Albuquerque, Durango and Santa Fe on the 18th of May. They usually take 2 to 4 weeks for any warranty repair. So, I was hopping to find an easier and quicker fix.

The 3051s doesn't have any drawers in the wardrobe - just shelves and I see no wire looms running through there.

If you look at the photo on the cover of the Product PDF the camera is shown with a few feet of cable and a longer 66' coil of extension cable. When I looked at ordering the camera separately the order form had it with lengths between 6" and 6'.
I know the rear camera has the cable directly attached with no connectors. Maybe a call to RVS to see if there are just screws and lugs for the internal cable attachment and not solders. That would be too easy, just unscrew the lugs and swap in new camera. Nothing is simple anymore.
__________________

__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
RVS had me unscrew the cap on the back of the camera to tell them how many wires there were back there (5) and all of them were direct soldered INSIDE the casing. They said you cannot open the casing. They also said there should be a short cable that goes into the RV and then a longer extension connected by a screwed on connector.
__________________

__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
RVS had me unscrew the cap on the back of the camera to tell them how many wires there were back there (5) and all of them were direct soldered INSIDE the casing. They said you cannot open the casing. They also said there should be a short cable that goes into the RV and then a longer extension connected by a screwed on connector.
Any chance RVS will send you the rear camera like the multiplexer? But then how much cable length?
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Probably, but without finding a short connection in the cable or one I could get to there is no way to remove the old camera and plug in a new one.

That was my goal with taking the camera off yesterday so I could see inside the rv where the cable enters the RV. I hoped to unplug the camera, get a new one to try and plug in at the back of the RV.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Probably, but without finding a short connection in the cable or one I could get to there is no way to remove the old camera and plug in a new one.

That was my goal with taking the camera off yesterday so I could see inside the rv where the cable enters the RV. I hoped to unplug the camera, get a new one to try and plug in at the back of the RV.
CP,

I have following along with your efforts related to a project I had in mind. I would prefer to have a full time view out the back of the RV while driving but that would require positioning the existing camera for that function and then not having a backup view. However, there now appear to be camera's that have the ability to re-position themselves wirelessly, depending on the view you need at the time. My concern up to this point was precisely the issue your running into. I.e. FR factory install would not make it easy to replace the camera. It appears that you have confirmed this which is unfortunate since replacing a defective camera would now be much more difficult than it needs to be. I wonder if FR considers the impact to warranty service over time when they design the installation procedure for devices like this? Certainly the current method of installation would make that work much more expensive than it should be.

RVr
__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Creativepart, best to leave it for the dealer. You don't want to take a chance in pulling the connectors apart somewhere in that back wall.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Creativepart, best to leave it for the dealer. You don't want to take a chance in pulling the connectors apart somewhere in that back wall.
Agreed, but I "think" as in I hope it is one of those plugs with the screw on collar like the connection to the multiplexer. It looks that way in the photos.

But not knowing for sure I tugged only so hard. Plus the 1" hole in the metal top plate where the cable goes up into the roof is sharp and caught on the cable as what little bit would come out passed through.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Agreed, but I "think" as in I hope it is one of those plugs with the screw on collar like the connection to the multiplexer. It looks that way in the photos.

But not knowing for sure I tugged only so hard. Plus the 1" hole in the metal top plate where the cable goes up into the roof is sharp and caught on the cable as what little bit would come out passed through.
Ah, you're right about the plug connector. I was thinking of my side camera connections. That big screw together connector would never make the bend. Must be in the cornice. Hope you get the MH back in time for your trip!
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Hope you get the MH back in time for your trip!
Oh, we won't miss the trip. We told them when we had to have it and we'll hold them to that no matter what. Even if it's not repaired.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 954
Sometimes it is best to abandon in place and rerun a new cable. If my camera stops working, that is what I will do.
I would pull the rear trim, drill a hole, have the connector behind the trim and find another route to the cab. Just me.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.