Old 04-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I keep hoping Joshua will chime in, but no luck on that.

I have set up an appointment at the nearest Forest River dealer - they are only about 30 miles away. But it's a very large dealership that can take over a month to get an appointment. I got "lucky" and the day I called they had a cancellation So, I only have to wait 2-weeks to get it in. However, we leave on a month long trip to Albuquerque, Durango and Santa Fe on the 18th of May. They usually take 2 to 4 weeks for any warranty repair. So, I was hopping to find an easier and quicker fix.

The 3051s doesn't have any drawers in the wardrobe - just shelves and I see no wire looms running through there.

If you look at the photo on the cover of the Product PDF the camera is shown with a few feet of cable and a longer 66' coil of extension cable. When I looked at ordering the camera separately the order form had it with lengths between 6" and 6'.
I know the rear camera has the cable directly attached with no connectors. Maybe a call to RVS to see if there are just screws and lugs for the internal cable attachment and not solders. That would be too easy, just unscrew the lugs and swap in new camera. Nothing is simple anymore.

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

RVS had me unscrew the cap on the back of the camera to tell them how many wires there were back there (5) and all of them were direct soldered INSIDE the casing. They said you cannot open the casing. They also said there should be a short cable that goes into the RV and then a longer extension connected by a screwed on connector.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
RVS had me unscrew the cap on the back of the camera to tell them how many wires there were back there (5) and all of them were direct soldered INSIDE the casing. They said you cannot open the casing. They also said there should be a short cable that goes into the RV and then a longer extension connected by a screwed on connector.
Any chance RVS will send you the rear camera like the multiplexer? But then how much cable length?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

Probably, but without finding a short connection in the cable or one I could get to there is no way to remove the old camera and plug in a new one.

That was my goal with taking the camera off yesterday so I could see inside the rv where the cable enters the RV. I hoped to unplug the camera, get a new one to try and plug in at the back of the RV.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Probably, but without finding a short connection in the cable or one I could get to there is no way to remove the old camera and plug in a new one.

That was my goal with taking the camera off yesterday so I could see inside the rv where the cable enters the RV. I hoped to unplug the camera, get a new one to try and plug in at the back of the RV.
CP,

I have following along with your efforts related to a project I had in mind. I would prefer to have a full time view out the back of the RV while driving but that would require positioning the existing camera for that function and then not having a backup view. However, there now appear to be camera's that have the ability to re-position themselves wirelessly, depending on the view you need at the time. My concern up to this point was precisely the issue your running into. I.e. FR factory install would not make it easy to replace the camera. It appears that you have confirmed this which is unfortunate since replacing a defective camera would now be much more difficult than it needs to be. I wonder if FR considers the impact to warranty service over time when they design the installation procedure for devices like this? Certainly the current method of installation would make that work much more expensive than it should be.

RVr
Old 04-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #16

Creativepart, best to leave it for the dealer. You don't want to take a chance in pulling the connectors apart somewhere in that back wall.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Creativepart, best to leave it for the dealer. You don't want to take a chance in pulling the connectors apart somewhere in that back wall.
Agreed, but I "think" as in I hope it is one of those plugs with the screw on collar like the connection to the multiplexer. It looks that way in the photos.

But not knowing for sure I tugged only so hard. Plus the 1" hole in the metal top plate where the cable goes up into the roof is sharp and caught on the cable as what little bit would come out passed through.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Agreed, but I "think" as in I hope it is one of those plugs with the screw on collar like the connection to the multiplexer. It looks that way in the photos.

But not knowing for sure I tugged only so hard. Plus the 1" hole in the metal top plate where the cable goes up into the roof is sharp and caught on the cable as what little bit would come out passed through.
Ah, you're right about the plug connector. I was thinking of my side camera connections. That big screw together connector would never make the bend. Must be in the cornice. Hope you get the MH back in time for your trip!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Hope you get the MH back in time for your trip!
Oh, we won't miss the trip. We told them when we had to have it and we'll hold them to that no matter what. Even if it's not repaired.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #20

Sometimes it is best to abandon in place and rerun a new cable. If my camera stops working, that is what I will do.
I would pull the rear trim, drill a hole, have the connector behind the trim and find another route to the cab. Just me.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums