Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #31

Wow! Talk about good service - both from the local FR dealership and from FR's Parts and Warranty dept. Kudos all the way around. Exceeded all my expectations.

As I said earlier, I took the RV in on Monday and they couldn't find my appointment. But they took me in and said they would "try" to get it back to me before May 12th. I'm going in a month long trip on May 18th. I fudged the starting day of my trip with them just in case they needed a couple of extra days.

You can imagine my surprise when they called last evening and told me to pick up the RV today and that it was all fixed. I could hardly believe it.

I paid $41 for expedited shipping (gladly) and the rear view camera is all fixed and working normally.

The dealer told me that FR installs the camera on the back cap before it's attached to the coach body. Then the cable is run across the roof and down a channel when the rear cap is installed. He said FR told him the way to replace the camera is to partially remove the rear cap!!! Did you get that? Remove the top of the rear cap. Then replace the camera and send the RV to Paint for touch up after the cap is reattached. That is NUTS!!

That exact camera is available with a 6" pigtail cable and locking connector. The manufacturer says most RV manufacturers run a 66' extension cable from the multiplexer in the dashboard though the coach and up to the camera location. Where that 6" cable is connected to the extension. That way when you need to replace the camera you simply remove the bad camera, pull out the cable and connection - disconnect the camera and replace it. All in all a 30 min job. (Are you reading this Joshua Cavitt?)

Why would Forest River be so clueless about this and make it such a big ordeal? You would think they'd have a vested interest in making it an easy repair. Especially since it can't cost more to purchase OEM.

Luckily for me, my dealer said he's got a guy that learned from past experience how to replace the camera from the inside the coach and not have to remove the rear cap.

So, I got great service from Ancira RV of Boerne, TX. And, Forest River's Parts Warranty dept did a great job of getting the part out and expressing it to my dealer.

A four-day turnaround for such a difficult job - that's just a dream come true.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Wow! Talk about good service - both from the local FR dealership and from FR's Parts and Warranty dept. Kudos all the way around. Exceeded all my expectations.

As I said earlier, I took the RV in on Monday and they couldn't find my appointment. But they took me in and said they would "try" to get it back to me before May 12th. I'm going in a month long trip on May 18th. I fudged the starting day of my trip with them just in case they needed a couple of extra days.

You can imagine my surprise when they called last evening and told me to pick up the RV today and that it was all fixed. I could hardly believe it.

I paid $41 for expedited shipping (gladly) and the rear view camera is all fixed and working normally.

The dealer told me that FR installs the camera on the back cap before it's attached to the coach body. Then the cable is run across the roof and down a channel when the rear cap is installed. He said FR told him the way to replace the camera is to partially remove the rear cap!!! Did you get that? Remove the top of the rear cap. Then replace the camera and send the RV to Paint for touch up after the cap is reattached. That is NUTS!!

That exact camera is available with a 6" pigtail cable and locking connector. The manufacturer says most RV manufacturers run a 66' extension cable from the multiplexer in the dashboard though the coach and up to the camera location. Where that 6" cable is connected to the extension. That way when you need to replace the camera you simply remove the bad camera, pull out the cable and connection - disconnect the camera and replace it. All in all a 30 min job. (Are you reading this Joshua Cavitt?)

Why would Forest River be so clueless about this and make it such a big ordeal? You would think they'd have a vested interest in making it an easy repair. Especially since it can't cost more to purchase OEM.

Luckily for me, my dealer said he's got a guy that learned from past experience how to replace the camera from the inside the coach and not have to remove the rear cap.

So, I got great service from Ancira RV of Boerne, TX. And, Forest River's Parts Warranty dept did a great job of getting the part out and expressing it to my dealer.

A four-day turnaround for such a difficult job - that's just a dream come true.
WOW! Glad to hear your dealer and FR came thru for you on this. Did the dealer cut the cable and splice on a connector and use a 6" pigtail on a new camera?

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #33

I think he opened up the cove in the bedroom and accessed it that way. They didn't say for sure - but said he worked from inside. And I saw some indication of that in the bedroom-some things moved.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #34

Quote:
I think he opened up the cove in the bedroom and accessed it that way. They didn't say for sure - but said he worked from inside. And I saw some indication of that in the bedroom-some things moved.
Do you have the same crown molding piece in my previous photo? If so, is that what he removed?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #35

Yes I have that same cove on the back wall. But I don't know exactly what he did.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Yes I have that same cove on the back wall. But I don't know exactly what he did.
Well. it's done, under warranty and early. You should be a happy camper and enjoy your long trip. Safe journey!
SCD
Old 05-07-2016, 12:40 AM   #37

When I took the RV in Monday I also mentioned that on my last three trips I had a problem with the city water filling the fresh water tank. And, the dealer asked while ordering the new camera and the the FR warranty guy Russ, authorized a new water pump. So that was also fixed during this 4-day repair process.

Forest River really came through on these issues.

My warranty expires on June 28th. So, I hope nothing else breaks too soon after that date.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #38

Quote:
When I took the RV in Monday I also mentioned that on my last three trips I had a problem with the city water filling the fresh water tank. And, the dealer asked while ordering the new camera and the the FR warranty guy Russ, authorized a new water pump. So that was also fixed during this 4-day repair process.

Forest River really came through on these issues.

My warranty expires on June 28th. So, I hope nothing else breaks too soon after that date.
There have been a few other topics posted on the same city water filling the F/W tank. Did it come out the tank vent at the filler?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
There have been a few other topics posted on the same city water filling the F/W tank. Did it come out the tank vent at the filler?
OH yeah. It also comes out the hatch where the water pumps is. You walk outside and see a big puddle of water.