Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Internal and External storage in 2401W and 2401R

How many sq ft of storage does each of these units have both outside and inside?
If you don't have specs for the inside is it true that the "W" doesn't have cabinets above the dinette and the bed as compared to the "R"? If so is this due to the weight of the slide?

How is the "W" framed to allow the large slide and still have the needed strength?

Thanks
camperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Class C Representative

Exterior storage

W-50Cu.FT
R-67 Cu.Ft

I'll report back with interior storage size.

There are not cabinets over the bed because of the design and weight in the slide.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Joshua

Not to hijack this thread, but do you have that info for the 2014, 2300. We love the storage in this small unit and I'm curious.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Class C Representative

61 square feet of exterior storage. Still waiting to hear back from engineering on the interior storage space
Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Exterior storage

W-50Cu.FT
R-67 Cu.Ft

There are not cabinets over the bed because of the design and weight in the slide.
Thank you sir.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperboy View Post
If you don't have specs for the inside is it true that the "W" doesn't have cabinets above the dinette and the bed as compared to the "R"?
Our "W" does not have the cabinets above the dinette or the bed. When we compared it to a "R" that was one of the first things we noticed. That and the additional outside storage of the "R" when compared to the "W" is very noticeable.

By ordering the optional entertainment center, replacing the cab over bunk, we gained back a large portion of the interior storage. I suspect it added two thirds or more of the space the "R" has in the cabinets over the bed and dinette.

The trade off for us was the floor space of the "W" is huge compared to an "R" when the slide is out...or in for that matter. For our needs we were able to trade storage space, that we haven't needed, for a lot more interior space...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Our "W" does not have the cabinets above the dinette or the bed. When we compared it to a "R" that was one of the first things we noticed. That and the additional outside storage of the "R" when compared to the "W" is very noticeable.

By ordering the optional entertainment center, replacing the cab over bunk, we gained back a large portion of the interior storage. I suspect it added two thirds or more of the space the "R" has in the cabinets over the bed and dinette.

The trade off for us was the floor space of the "W" is huge compared to an "R" when the slide is out...or in for that matter. For our needs we were able to trade storage space, that we haven't needed, for a lot more interior space...
Thanks-That is an idea. Does the dinette make a bed large (long enough) and as comfortable as the upper bunk bed?
What else is in the entertainment center? A larger TV and cabinetry?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Site Team

I can't say if the over the cab bunk is as comfortable as the dinette as the as I've never tried one... I'm a bit too big for that space and the ladder! But the dinette is big enough and they can be made to be very comfortable easier than a over the cab bunk as there is more head room!

As far as the entertainment center you have a 42 inch tv on the passenger side. The center section and the drivers side are two very large cabinets. The drivers side cabinet easily holds two spare queen size "bed in a bag" and other "stuff". The center section would easily hold them as well. The attached photos are of the two cabinets. I apologize for the photo quality these were taken during a quick walk thru before our PDI. It is hard to find photos of the entertainment center so let me know if you want any specific shots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00896.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	86475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00897.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	86476  
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I can't say if the over the cab bunk is as comfortable as the dinette as the as I've never tried one... I'm a bit too big for that space and the ladder! But the dinette is big enough and they can be made to be very comfortable easier than a over the cab bunk as there is more head room!

As far as the entertainment center you have a 42 inch tv on the passenger side. The center section and the drivers side are two very large cabinets. The drivers side cabinet easily holds two spare queen size "bed in a bag" and other "stuff". The center section would easily hold them as well. The attached photos are of the two cabinets. I apologize for the photo quality these were taken during a quick walk thru before our PDI. It is hard to find photos of the entertainment center so let me know if you want any specific shots...
Thanks for the info and the photo.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

Note the original poster's last question was not answered.

"How is the "W" framed to allow the large slide and still have the needed strength?"

I have a 2401W for about a month now and I am really concerned about this issue. Once you activate the slide out you are no longer level, there is a HUGE lean to the driver's side. Over by the door is level. The kitchen counter is level. The bath floor is level but the dinette floor is very much not level.

Very concerned regarding the issues this may cause in the future.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfritts View Post
Note the original poster's last question was not answered.

"How is the "W" framed to allow the large slide and still have the needed strength?"

I have a 2401W for about a month now and I am really concerned about this issue. Once you activate the slide out you are no longer level, there is a HUGE lean to the driver's side. Over by the door is level. The kitchen counter is level. The bath floor is level but the dinette floor is very much not level.

Very concerned regarding the issues this may cause in the future.
I thought the RV's had air springs that were supposed to automatically keep it level?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Class C Representative

Each coach has a frame built from scratch. It starts as single pieces of aluminum and once the weld shop has a build order they have a blueprint of how the frame has to be built. I know the full wall models are reinforced in specific areas. Which specific areas I'm not sure of but I will check with engineering tomorrow and find out.

The ride rite air bags are not available on any MBS chassis'. Mercedes is pretty strict on what is and isn't allowed on their chassis' and that's one thing that isn't
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #13

Well just because (supposedly) they were 'reinforced in specific areas' doesn't dilute the issue that it sags. I went into this with the honest belief that it would not be a problem but it is. I can only imagine what damage will be done by it sagging over time.

I have an appointment with an RV service shop to look at it for that and five other issues so I will see what they say.

I don't expect perfect level but the difference is huge on this.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Well just because (supposedly) they were 'reinforced in specific areas' doesn't dilute the issue that it sags. I went into this with the honest belief that it would not be a problem but it is. I can only imagine what damage will be done by it sagging over time.

I have an appointment with an RV service shop to look at it for that and five other issues so I will see what they say.

I don't expect perfect level but the difference is huge on this.
SumoSprings will help you in that "sag" regard as well as overall handling and cure the rock n' roll while driving.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Josh did you ever get me the specs on the inside storage for all three models?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #16

Did you want exact dimensions of each compartment?

I might be able to measure my 2401W before I have to take it in for warranty work tomorrow. If he doesn't reply soon I will start doing that today as available.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Did you want exact dimensions of each compartment?

I might be able to measure my 2401W before I have to take it in for warranty work tomorrow. If he doesn't reply soon I will start doing that today as available.
If you have time that would be great!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Exterior storage

W-50Cu.FT
R-67 Cu.Ft

Per the Solera Brochure, the R has 75 cu ft and the S has 67 cu ft of exterior storage. W number is correct @ 50, FYI.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...rabrochure.pdf

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Class C Representative

We don't do the measurements for the inside storage. I was not aware of this at the time I posted!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #20

Back to this question: "How is the "W" framed to allow the large slide and still have the needed strength?" I have my 2016 Forester in for several issues including the leaning, unlevel-ness of the full wall slide. After inspection by the RV repair shop there is only one support built for the slide, in the middle. This is a big structural flaw in my opinion, I am not an engineer or an RV designer but the large size should have rendered at least two supports, better yet three, certainly one is very inadequate.

Tags
storage