Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3205 View Post
We have straight talk. For $42.50/mo. We get unlimited talk, text, and datea. First 5 gigs are high speed, after that it slows down considerably. There are dead spots, but 95%of the time we get service.
So do we. It has very good coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedmanfl View Post
I have not tried it but I've got a friend that has straight talk and uses foxfi app. 8 dollar one time fee for app. He says it works good for him. This app makes your phone the hot spot. He uses the 10g plan for 55 dollars
Hmmm, that sounds interesting as an option. Cheaper than what the wife found on the Straightalk website for a a mobile hotspot. Same a Modemem is using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
This keeps the Grandkids Ipads going....most of the time.

Inexpensive Mobile Wi-Fi | WiFi Hotspot | Internet on the Go

Hotspot and data cards sold at WallyWorld.
How much usage does that equate to? My one son is autistic and loves the computer - I have a feeling he can burn through a lot of gigs.

Days Planned - 12

Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Do you know whose cell towers they use for their coverage ?
I have heard that Straightalk uses Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Not sure if true but all I know is we had Verizon and our coverage was not good at the house when we moved. We switched to Straightalk and the coverage is great even when we go to Northern Michigan at my in-laws whose house I swore was built in a dead spot.

Days Planned - 12

Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Thanks for the info. My Class C forester doesn't have wifi built in, but I have tried mobile hotspots, and haven't been very impressed with them. Coverage spotty and very slow. I'm hoping someone has found a better solution, if there is one.

Just having access to Internet to run GasBuddy or RVParkReviews a similar app/program is not the same as having a "hotspot". Which is it you really want/need?
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #34
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
I have heard that Straightalk uses Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Not sure if true but all I know is we had Verizon and our coverage was not good at the house when we moved. We switched to Straightalk and the coverage is great even when we go to Northern Michigan at my in-laws whose house I swore was built in a dead spot.
Unless something has changed the "off brand" services (Straightalk, Consumer, Republic, etc.), are compatible with either Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile, but not both. ATT and T-Mobile use the GSM protocol while the others use the older TDMA (or CDMA) technology. GSM is a worldwide standard so it's rare to get a Verizon linked phone to work outside of North America.

So, Straightalk is probably using ATT and T-Mobile towers since it works where Verizon didn't. Coverage at my home is almost non existent with either network. I had an ATT M-Cell installed but since wifi calling became available I usually use that now.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #35

Tether

When turning your cell phone into a wifi hotspot you are tethering your device to it. Some carriers do not allow this so check before changing plans. We are currently searching for a good plan that offers good coverage at our home, unfortunately AT&T gives the best coverage for us at home, so far on the road we have had very little problems and we tend to travel in more rural and remote areas. Verizon tends to be a bit more expensive as well. T-Mobile appears to be OK but again uses AT&T towers and is on par with Verizon for expense. Sprints offerings are appealing but not sure how their coverage is. When we are on the road the wife is my navigator using her iPad tethered to a Samsung S7 smart phone. She checks park reviews, routes, food, gas, etc while in route, works great as long as we have at least 1 bar.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I have a Rand-McNally 7710 branded with a "Good Sam" logo that I bought from Camping World. It is almost impossible to see the screen in the daylight, even with an anit-glare film on the screen, and with a sunshade over the top of it. Is yours like that...almost impossible to see in bright sunlight -- or is it just mine?
I have a Ram truck which has some openings in the dash for items to be place. So I made a mounting block which supports the Rand McNally bracket and is inserted into one of these openings. This is mounted down low and is angled to eliminate the sun glare. I too have the anti-glare film and sun screen on the unit. This is also angled so I can easily see the screen when driving, but I usually let the unit speak and provide the information I need when towing the RV.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Unless something has changed the "off brand" services (Straightalk, Consumer, Republic, etc.), are compatible with either Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile, but not both. ATT and T-Mobile use the GSM protocol while the others use the older TDMA (or CDMA) technology. GSM is a worldwide standard so it's rare to get a Verizon linked phone to work outside of North America.

So, Straightalk is probably using ATT and T-Mobile towers since it works where Verizon didn't. Coverage at my home is almost non existent with either network. I had an ATT M-Cell installed but since wifi calling became available I usually use that now.
There are many Verizon phones that work overseas; now. Most Android and later release Apple Verizon phones have CDMA, but also equipped with 4G LTE (LTE is in most countries now), Dual Band GSM Quad Band GSM UMTS capabilities. My old Droid Turbo will work but in some countries might require a specific SIM card.

Here's Verizon website showing the phones available with worldwide coverage.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/devic...device/page-3/

But with most providers, it is sometimes cheaper just to pick up a prepaid phone in the country you are visiting if you are not constantly traveling overseas. And some third world countries (Laos to be specific) the prepaid from their best provider is the best option.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Not sure what the concern is with what towers are used (Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile) We are talking about getting Internet when driving down the road. Most , maybe all Interstates are covered by just about all carriers unless you are out in Montana, Wyoming and other empty space states.

OP still needs to clarify what he wants. The side issues (foreign country) are drifting a bit off topic IMO)

Republic still has plans starting at $10 a month

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #39
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
...........::

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
Very true. In my last job we had ATT and Verizon full service phones plus Sprint and t-mobile prepaid phones. Sometimes we would be in 5-6 cities a day and there were times none of them would work. However, I rarely noticed much difference between them.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #40

Mobile WiFi

If you have Verizon we use a JetPak and it works very well. They have various data plans for how much you use it.

Tags
service