Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #41

WE started our current trip using my Verizon iPhone as a hot spot, it worked OK but if the device connected to it wasn't pulling data, after a little while it would shut off that connection and the device would have to be reconnected. It wasn't a big deal but I have a Verzion MiFi Hot Spot also, so we started using that and it was worked really well no disconnects for inactivity on the kids iPads...

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not sure what the concern is with what towers are used (Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile) We are talking about getting Internet when driving down the road. Most , maybe all Interstates are covered by just about all carriers unless you are out in Montana, Wyoming and other empty space states.

OP still needs to clarify what he wants. The side issues (foreign country) are drifting a bit off topic IMO)

Republic still has plans starting at $10 a month

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
I'm the op, Here's the original question, What do you use to have access to internet when driving for checking gas buddy, google maps, campground info etc. and the cost of your plan if you don't mind sharing?
I thought it was fairly clear but let me clarify. When you are driving down the road in your rv and want to use the internet , what device or service do you use? I have a lot of answers and I'm now researching to find the best option for us. I appreciate all the input. Thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Just having access to Internet to run GasBuddy or RVParkReviews a similar app/program is not the same as having a "hotspot". Which is it you really want/need?
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you are driving down the highway, As far as I know you need cell signal to access the internet. That is either going to come from your smart phone or portable hotspot. Do you know of another option?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #44

Sorry KyFan, didn't pay close enough attention to your original post. My Verizon Mifi, is what we use now to access the internet on the road for everything. We went with unlimited LTE data on the Verizon MiFi for $120 a month. I also use it for work when not driving. You can get the $120 a month unlimited LTE data off eBay, if you are thinking of going that way.
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you are driving down the highway, As far as I know you need cell signal to access the internet. That is either going to come from your smart phone or portable hotspot. Do you know of another option?
Thanks
All you need is a modern cell phone with web browsing capabilities and Web apps. an I phone or an Android based phone and a cell service that has a data plan with it. You can also get a tablet with a data plan. A tablet actually has its own phone number and uses the data plan from a cell provider.

You can either get a no contract monthly plan or a contract plan.

There are two types of signals GMS and CDMA the two major GMS providers are AT&T and T-Mobile the two major CDMA providers are Sprint and Version. there are numerour smaller companies but most will lease bandwidth from the major players.

What kind of service you need really depends on what you plan on using the internet for and where you need the access from. If you are on major highways you will get service from any of the major players. In rural areas some are better than others. Then there are areas where no one will get cell service. Should you want service there your only choice is Satellite service.

hopefully reading this article will help you understand the different optons. Take some time to learn as much as possible.

Best Low-Cost Cell Phone Plans - Consumer Reports

You need to be more specific on your data needs before anyone can give you a definitive answer to your questions.

Hope this helps

FWI, WE recently purchased our Motor Home but prior to that have traveled to most every state south of Michigan and East of the Mississippi. There are only a few places where we did not have a T-mobile/AT&T signal for voice and text. Every evening we would have free WIFI in the motels. We could always get free WIFI at most any major restaurant chain.

We have a pay as you go WIFI hotspot in Murelene's Equinox. We purchase data at $15 for 1 meg of data. Our last purchase was in October 2015. The only time we use the pay as you go signal is when other service wasn't available or I needed to use my laptop computer to access the internet. It has been over a year since we made that purchase and we still have 200 meg left on the account.

1 gig data = 250 four meg pictures posted to facebook
1 gig data = 1000 one meg web pages
1 gig data = 10,000 one hundred byte emails

1 two hour movie = 6 gigs data usage
Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #46

Question below. We have T-Mobile and do a bit of boon docking camping in Utah. One of our outings there was no T-Mobile service but it let us use AT&T up to a certain amount of data which was great for the weekend since we have to keep in touch with my wife's business while out of town . When we go to one of our other favorite camp spots there is no T-Mobile coverage but we know there is an AT&T tower in the area but our T-Mobile phones will not connect to it. Anyone have any ideas why it would work in one area and not the other?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #47

Thanks to all, and to you ShermanD for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. I am probably going to give the Verizon Jetpack a try, and see how that works.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #48

Kyfan, see if this helps:
Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road

Longest story shortest: I use AT&T and a 15gb plan for 3 iPhones and an idle hotspot (I use this one as a backup) @ $235/month (though 2 phones are on the NEXT payment plan). I also use a Verizon Jetpack hotspot on an unlimited data plan (I use this one as my primary) @ $70/month. The hotspots are connected to my WifiRanger and all of my devices connect to that (more info).

We use this for our Internet needs when stationary and traveling down the road. When stationary, we often stream video content from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Youtube. When mobile, my son will occasionally watch shows online. Of course, this is all dependent on the speed of service- often times, it is fast enough for streaming video, but there have been quite a few times where it wasn't.

I've found places where I have had better/faster AT&T coverage vs. Verizon and vice versa. I've found places where neither worked. A cellular booster can be very helpful with all of this. I'm sensitive to Internet speeds as I need Internet for work at my 9-5 job.
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Kyfan, see if this helps:
Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road

Longest story shortest: I use AT&T and a 15gb plan for 3 iPhones and an idle hotspot (I use this one as a backup) @ $235/month (though 2 phones are on the NEXT payment plan). I also use a Verizon Jetpack hotspot on an unlimited data plan (I use this one as my primary) @ $70/month. The hotspots are connected to my WifiRanger and all of my devices connect to that (more info).

We use this for our Internet needs when stationary and traveling down the road. When stationary, we often stream video content from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Youtube. When mobile, my son will occasionally watch shows online. Of course, this is all dependent on the speed of service- often times, it is fast enough for streaming video, but there have been quite a few times where it wasn't.

I've found places where I have had better/faster AT&T coverage vs. Verizon and vice versa. I've found places where neither worked. A cellular booster can be very helpful with all of this. I'm sensitive to Internet speeds as I need Internet for work at my 9-5 job.
Thanks for the link. I'm interested in the Verizon Jetpack unlimited plan you have. I believe I've read that Verizon has stopped supplying unlimited data plans, but long time customers may be grandfathered in. Have you been with Verizon a long time?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm interested in the Verizon Jetpack unlimited plan you have. I believe I've read that Verizon has stopped supplying unlimited data plans, but long time customers may be grandfathered in. Have you been with Verizon a long time?
Thanks
No, only since the beginning of the year or so. Verizon won't issue any new unlimited lines for personal use, but there is quite the aftermarket of people selling/buying them. It's a very steep up-front fee ($400-1,500) one-time and after that, you have a less expensive monthly cost directly from Verizon.

The alternative is to find someone who is leasing their account and rent from them. This has a much lower start-up cost ($0-200) but a higher monthly cost ($120-200).

ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service