Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I'm not interested in any tablet plans. If I want/need data on my iPads I use the hotspot features of the iPhone.

T-Mobile explained to me that streaming Netfliz or Amazon prime would not count against the six gig data but other uses of the data features (i.e., downloading movies or gigantic files) would be slowed once the six gig limit was reached. I'll check on the 26 gig thing.
What network are your Ipads, and your Iphones currently on? you may want to find out if they are compatible with the T-mobile or any other network your looking into. you wouldn't want to choose a network that they do not work on.

Do you understand what "salesmanship is"?

The salesmen whether you talk to them online, on the phone,or in person, WORK ON A COMMISSION and will tell you what ever is necessary to make that commission.

READ THE FINE PRINT

I Don't need lots of monthly data because I don't download movies. My T'moblie plan works just fine IN NETWORK. NO PROVIDER will give you FREE out of network data.

Because of this, I purchased a Straight Talk No'Contract Mobile Hotspot that is designed for the AT&T network. it cost me $50 and came with 1 gig of data. a 1 gig refill is $15 and a 2 gig refull is $25

250 - 4 meg videos posted to face book is 1 gig
1000 -1 meg web pages is 1 gig
10,000 - 10 Kbyte emails is 1 gig
1 - 2 hour movie is 6 gig

The reason I chose the AT&T network ( they offer the mobile hotspot on the Verizon network also) is because I have found that AT&T does a pretty good job of covering rural areas, areas that T-mobile does not cover.

I can live with a mobile hotspot that is pay as you use. I can live without streaming videos, streaming music, and playing online games when I am on vacation.

If you really need high speed internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, regardless of where you are at, get yourself a Satellite high speed internet plan. Startup cost will be around $5000 and monthly bills will run into the hundreds, but you will be fully connected.

If you are going on the cheap, you need to decide what you can live with and purchase a plan accordingly.

NOTHING IS FREE.. if you really believe it is, I have a couple bridges I will give you FOR FREE, trouble is the owner is responsible for their upkeep, and they are falling down
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #62
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I do have Verizion as my service but limited data. I use my trusty Garman GPS for finding gas, restaurants and such. For me this is all I need being retired one can spend way to much for these services that most folk really do not need. Jut my 2 cents. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
What network are your Ipads, and your Iphones currently on? you may want to find out if they are compatible with the T-mobile or any other network your looking into. you wouldn't want to choose a network that they do not work on.

Do you understand what "salesmanship is"?

The salesmen whether you talk to them online, on the phone,or in person, WORK ON A COMMISSION and will tell you what ever is necessary to make that commission.

READ THE FINE PRINT

I Don't need lots of monthly data because I don't download movies. My T'moblie plan works just fine IN NETWORK. NO PROVIDER will give you FREE out of network data.............................................. ...........
I definitely understand current day "salesmanship". Basically, I don't trust anything they say. That's why I've posted the info here...so I can get some insight into what others have experienced.

As far as the equipment goes that is not a problem. I have no intention of using the T-Mobil plan on the iPads. I've owned just about every version of that device and (at least, since version 1A) have had cellular capability on all of them. However, I've never had a sim card in them. The only reason I get the cellular models is for GPS capability. WiFi only versions don't have the internal GPS chip so apps like TomTom which have all their map data on the device won't work. If I need other data on the iPads and don't have wifi I just connect via the iPhone hotspot.

I will put the T-Mobil sim card in an unused iPhone. I purchase all my iPhones direct from Apple and always unlocked so they will work on any GSM network. The one I'm going to use (a 5S model) was previously my primary phone. Whenever I traveled to Europe (unfortunately a lot more than I wanted) I just replaced the sim card with a T-Mobil card with a Swiss telephone number. It was completely separate from the AT&T service and worked just fine on the TM network over there. I don't remember what the cost was...I just put it on the company AMEX...but IIRC it was a little less expensive than my domestic plan, and a lot less expensive than using AT&T over there.

I've read the large print and the small print on the TM website...it's confusing at best. But, there's no contract so I'll give it a one month trial at $30. Streaming is not supposed to count against the six gig data. I'll put it to the test and stream away and see what happens. If they really are separate then, since I doubt I'll use little to no data, I should be able to find out what's going on.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #64

As stated in all of the posts, there is no one solution that works for everyone. It really depends on where you are located and how much data you use. If you intend to do a lot of streaming, an unlimited plan would be the best. Verizon has the best coverage and you can find grandfathered plans to rent for about $150 per month or to purchase for $500 to $1500 and then $65 on going. If you don't stream and use under 20g per month you can probably just get a plan from one of the cellular providers. None of these options will work everywhere since they are relying on cellular data. Satellite is an option but the equipment is expensive and the plans usually have some limitations on the amount of data you can use per month. They also require a clear view of the southern sky which isn't always possible If you are ever interested in renting or buying an unlimited verizon plan, PM me for more details. Good luck.

2011 Georgetown 300fws from beautiful Spectacle Lake Minnesota
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Read a lot of posts but still am not sure of best way to be on the Internet while moving down the highway per original question.

Answers were not specific about how to select which "cell tower" you were passing by so you got the service you signed up for.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #66

Our iPhones only have limited data but unlimited talk / text over the T-Mobile network. Then when we stop, we get coffee at McDonald's & use their free WIFI.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Read a lot of posts but still am not sure of best way to be on the Internet while moving down the highway per original question.

Answers were not specific about how to select which "cell tower" you were passing by so you got the service you signed up for.
You'll never connect to a wifi while traveling down the Interstate, at least not long enough to login and use. So, your only option is cellular data. I'm in a trial use of T-Mobile data only (6 gig for $30). It includes free connection to view Netflix, Amazon, NBC and Fox sports, HBO and a lot more. So far, it's working just fine. Had the Olympics on yesterday during a two hour drive

So, specifically, pick your data plan, turn on the phone and hotspot connect it to the tablet or notebook and watch or compute all you want.

As far as connecting to specific cell towers....ain't gonna happen. You get the closest one for your carrier and it hands of to the others as you drive along. Your SIM card does the work and you have no control over that.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #68

Are you sure of that? I have a friend who has a Silverado just like mine, has the WI-FI hotspot and his kids surfed the internet via their Wi-Fi only tablets from MI to FL. He loved it. Yes, he noted there were a few spots it dropped out like in the mountains of KY and TN, but primarily to the FL Keys, the kids were using the tablets.
It probably was not cheap.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Are you sure of that? I have a friend who has a Silverado just like mine, has the WI-FI hotspot and his kids surfed the internet via their Wi-Fi only tablets from MI to FL. He loved it. Yes, he noted there were a few spots it dropped out like in the mountains of KY and TN, but primarily to the FL Keys, the kids were using the tablets.
It probably was not cheap.
Have the same thing in my Ram but never use it. It's completely dependent on cellular reception. It takes the cell signal and transmits wifi from that. Same thing as creating a phone hotspot.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #70

A WiFi hotspot like your friend has is created by a cell phone connection. In his case, the Onstar service is the cell phone connection.

When we started traveling by motorhome, we had basic voice only flip phones. I added a 4G device to our cell phone plan. It plugged into a USB slot on our laptop, giving us Internet service away from home without having to depend on someone's WiFi. The 4G device was actually a cell phone that only connected with the internet.

Then we got "smartphones", which create WiFi signals, so I dropped the 4G device.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service