Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Be careful of plans and contracts that advertise X dollars for text, downloading, messaging, whatever...........and in very, very tiny fine print it says "Only while on our network".

Some networks are not very robust. None are robust enough. A few only cover high cap metro areas. That works for many people, but they need to know that and not expect the same coverage in Tootlewad, MT as they get in Dallas.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #22

I had a Jet Pack that I used and just carried it with us when on the road. It was an extra line on our service with Verizon. Then found out about the hot spot function of the smart phones that gave the same connection with the internet as the Jet Pack. So I dropped the extra line for the Jet Pack (saving some money) and started using my Iphone for internet on my home computer and tablet. My wife has a Windows phone and she uses the hot spot on it when I am not around. You can get as many as 5 units on your built in hot spot at a time. It works while rolling down the road as well as where you park. Most all smart phones have the same function maybe using different verbiage.

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
We both have AT&T for our phones which allow the phones to be used as hotspots. We than turn on the hotspot to allow the I-pad to be used to searcher for information, if needed. We also have paper books such as the "Next Exit" and "The RV'ers Friend" which provides information on rest stops and fueling stations that are RV friendly. Along with paper maps for when we do not have cell tower service. I also purchase every other year the RV Travel & Savings Guide from Good Sam which list campgrounds and the phone numbers.

I than also use the Rand McNally 7710 GPS which provides fueling stations and campgrounds along with eating, banking, hospitals, RV centers, rest areas and shopping places to visit. This backs up the paper book information we use, the DW does this as we drive.

We take all of this information with us when we travel and have used these items many times.
I have a Rand-McNally 7710 branded with a "Good Sam" logo that I bought from Camping World. It is almost impossible to see the screen in the daylight, even with an anit-glare film on the screen, and with a sunshade over the top of it. Is yours like that...almost impossible to see in bright sunlight -- or is it just mine?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #24

We use Republic Wireless. We are on the old plan that uses Sprint and would just upgrade from our $10/mo unlimited cell phone/text and unlimited WiFi data to a $25/mo unlimited cell phone/text/data for the period we needed then switch back. Both had unlimited phone/text roaming and you bought their phone. Only folks already on the old plans can continue.

They have come out with new plans where you can buy your phone through them our bring your own starting at $15/mo for unlimited cell phone/text and 1G data or unlimited WiFi data. They won't say whose network they are using but claim it has the largest footprint.

We've been satisfied so far that we will likely switch to the new plan whenever our current phone gives up the ghost.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #25

I use my iPhone & iPad (good size for maps, I suction cup it to my drivers side window). I also use my Verizon MiFi wireless router. It's great for traveling. I almost always have service except for very remote areas. Wireless router not cheap, I think it's $40. or 50. per month but oh, so handy everywhere!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
This keeps the Grandkids Ipads going....most of the time.

Inexpensive Mobile Wi-Fi | WiFi Hotspot | Internet on the Go

Hotspot and data cards sold at WallyWorld.

Do you know whose cell towers they use for their coverage ?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 AM   #27

Hubby and I have iPhones and an iPad for which we buy a data plan. Perhaps 90% of our travel falls within Verizon coverage. I "navigate" using technology. Useful websites are free campsites.net and rvparksreview.com. Do appreciate all the reviews We enjoy off the road places for ovrtnighting. Most found by " googling" these websites.
Hiker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Sorry I do not know
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #29

We use Verizon Wireless on our iPhones and AT&T on our iPads. We can use all of our devices as wireless hotspots. Usually, we have service from both providers, but when we don't have service from one of them, we have always had service from the other. I am sure there are places we haven't been that we would have no service from both, but not yet.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We use Rogers for our iPhones. Sometimes use them as hotspot when on the go, they are both 6 plus so the screen is pretty big. I have a unlimited plan at $50 month cap on a hotspot we use for data.
In the US we have version and use pay as you gp.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3205 View Post
We have straight talk. For $42.50/mo. We get unlimited talk, text, and datea. First 5 gigs are high speed, after that it slows down considerably. There are dead spots, but 95%of the time we get service.
So do we. It has very good coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedmanfl View Post
I have not tried it but I've got a friend that has straight talk and uses foxfi app. 8 dollar one time fee for app. He says it works good for him. This app makes your phone the hot spot. He uses the 10g plan for 55 dollars
Hmmm, that sounds interesting as an option. Cheaper than what the wife found on the Straightalk website for a a mobile hotspot. Same a Modemem is using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
This keeps the Grandkids Ipads going....most of the time.

Inexpensive Mobile Wi-Fi | WiFi Hotspot | Internet on the Go

Hotspot and data cards sold at WallyWorld.
How much usage does that equate to? My one son is autistic and loves the computer - I have a feeling he can burn through a lot of gigs.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I have heard that Straightalk uses Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Not sure if true but all I know is we had Verizon and our coverage was not good at the house when we moved. We switched to Straightalk and the coverage is great even when we go to Northern Michigan at my in-laws whose house I swore was built in a dead spot.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Thanks for the info. My Class C forester doesn't have wifi built in, but I have tried mobile hotspots, and haven't been very impressed with them. Coverage spotty and very slow. I'm hoping someone has found a better solution, if there is one.

Just having access to Internet to run GasBuddy or RVParkReviews a similar app/program is not the same as having a "hotspot". Which is it you really want/need?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
I have heard that Straightalk uses Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Not sure if true but all I know is we had Verizon and our coverage was not good at the house when we moved. We switched to Straightalk and the coverage is great even when we go to Northern Michigan at my in-laws whose house I swore was built in a dead spot.
Unless something has changed the "off brand" services (Straightalk, Consumer, Republic, etc.), are compatible with either Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile, but not both. ATT and T-Mobile use the GSM protocol while the others use the older TDMA (or CDMA) technology. GSM is a worldwide standard so it's rare to get a Verizon linked phone to work outside of North America.

So, Straightalk is probably using ATT and T-Mobile towers since it works where Verizon didn't. Coverage at my home is almost non existent with either network. I had an ATT M-Cell installed but since wifi calling became available I usually use that now.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #35

Tether

When turning your cell phone into a wifi hotspot you are tethering your device to it. Some carriers do not allow this so check before changing plans. We are currently searching for a good plan that offers good coverage at our home, unfortunately AT&T gives the best coverage for us at home, so far on the road we have had very little problems and we tend to travel in more rural and remote areas. Verizon tends to be a bit more expensive as well. T-Mobile appears to be OK but again uses AT&T towers and is on par with Verizon for expense. Sprints offerings are appealing but not sure how their coverage is. When we are on the road the wife is my navigator using her iPad tethered to a Samsung S7 smart phone. She checks park reviews, routes, food, gas, etc while in route, works great as long as we have at least 1 bar.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I have a Rand-McNally 7710 branded with a "Good Sam" logo that I bought from Camping World. It is almost impossible to see the screen in the daylight, even with an anit-glare film on the screen, and with a sunshade over the top of it. Is yours like that...almost impossible to see in bright sunlight -- or is it just mine?
I have a Ram truck which has some openings in the dash for items to be place. So I made a mounting block which supports the Rand McNally bracket and is inserted into one of these openings. This is mounted down low and is angled to eliminate the sun glare. I too have the anti-glare film and sun screen on the unit. This is also angled so I can easily see the screen when driving, but I usually let the unit speak and provide the information I need when towing the RV.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Unless something has changed the "off brand" services (Straightalk, Consumer, Republic, etc.), are compatible with either Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile, but not both. ATT and T-Mobile use the GSM protocol while the others use the older TDMA (or CDMA) technology. GSM is a worldwide standard so it's rare to get a Verizon linked phone to work outside of North America.

So, Straightalk is probably using ATT and T-Mobile towers since it works where Verizon didn't. Coverage at my home is almost non existent with either network. I had an ATT M-Cell installed but since wifi calling became available I usually use that now.
There are many Verizon phones that work overseas; now. Most Android and later release Apple Verizon phones have CDMA, but also equipped with 4G LTE (LTE is in most countries now), Dual Band GSM Quad Band GSM UMTS capabilities. My old Droid Turbo will work but in some countries might require a specific SIM card.

Here's Verizon website showing the phones available with worldwide coverage.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/devic...device/page-3/

But with most providers, it is sometimes cheaper just to pick up a prepaid phone in the country you are visiting if you are not constantly traveling overseas. And some third world countries (Laos to be specific) the prepaid from their best provider is the best option.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Not sure what the concern is with what towers are used (Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile) We are talking about getting Internet when driving down the road. Most , maybe all Interstates are covered by just about all carriers unless you are out in Montana, Wyoming and other empty space states.

OP still needs to clarify what he wants. The side issues (foreign country) are drifting a bit off topic IMO)

Republic still has plans starting at $10 a month

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
...........::

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
Very true. In my last job we had ATT and Verizon full service phones plus Sprint and t-mobile prepaid phones. Sometimes we would be in 5-6 cities a day and there were times none of them would work. However, I rarely noticed much difference between them.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #40

Mobile WiFi

If you have Verizon we use a JetPak and it works very well. They have various data plans for how much you use it.
GlennSchau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service