Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Invitation to all 2018 2500 and 2501 owners + anybody else

I want to start a "treasure hunt" for 2018 owners of 2800 and 2801 owners (and anybody else who wants to take part.

This morning I read a reply from RedLdr1 about his 2800 having 2 Schwintek slides and 1 hydraulic slide. Sure enough, he is right. My 2801 has exactly the same combination. AHAA, we need to pool resources.

Per his post, RedLdr1 has slide controllers in the furthest back cabinet (2800).

My 2801 has the slide controllers for the bed and the wardrobe under the "static" mattress on the bed. With the bed slide in the out position, I moved the "free mattress half" off the bed and lifted the static mattress (snapped to a base board on a piano hinge). This hinged mattress board opens to a vertical revealing a large compartment under it. I found both Schwintek controllers, my convertor, my electrical control box and the full electrical distribution panel with shunt etc. I also had a complete view of the top of the fresh water tank.

I found per RedLdr1 the controllers for my hydraulic slide were under the dinette slide itself and when in the extended position could be reached.

In the 2801 I found the water heater bypass behind a plain vertical panel located between the sink and the drawers that are front most on the kitchen counter section. There are 4 phillips head screws that need to be removed, then I coaxed the panel out with a hooked wire. The heater bypass and the hot and cold valves are all clearly visible.

I have not yet found the hydraulics for the 2018 LCI Level-up system yet. Not the same as the previous Big Foot system. It has to have a hydraulic tank, servos, valves etc. I don't have any idea yet.

I hope other 2800 and 2801 owners will jump in. Any "treasures" you have found in the 2800 or 2801 could be shared.

Thanks in advance, and I will keep posting what I find.

v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Invitation to all 2018 2800 and 2801 owners + anybody else

Interesting. My 2801QS has all Schwintek slides. Rear slide controllers as you have stated and one in each compartments under the side slides. As for the water heater bypass, I removed the screws and put handles and cabinet latches on it so it just pulls out and snaps back in. Pictures in the "more 2801 mods" thread.

My question is, has anyone been able to access the transfer switch. I would like to check the cables occasionally, but mine is in the bathroom inside the cabinet enclosure under the drawer. It looks lie one would have to take the cabinet apart to get to it, and barely, at that. That is surely above my skill level.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
I want to start a "treasure hunt" for 2018 owners of 2800 and 2801 owners (and anybody else who wants to take part.
Do you have a 2801 or a 2501 ? In your profile it says 2501... There is a big difference between the 250X and 280X series...like a fourth slide out!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Obviously a series of unfortunate typos. However, it is entertaining so I will “jump in”.
Abdrahim, I was able to do a visual check by using an automotive inspection mirror and a small LED light. If you drop a screw, you will need a telescoping magnet to retrieve it. That does not get you to checking the actual connections but you will be able to see any arcing burns. Better than nothing. I think I may get one of those Harbor Freight cameras.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

Do you only 3 slides? My 2801 has four and all Schwintek
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #6

WOW, My apologies to the group. All that typing and I listed the Wrong Vehicle. As RedLdr1 points out, I have a 2501TS not a 2801TS.

I haven't got a clue why I did that and while embarrassing not the worst thing I have ever done. Probably not even this month.

I am going to start this thread over with the right title? The intent was good. You 2800 and 2801 series guys might want to ignore my "finds" but continue with the thread for your use with your series.

v/r rch
Old 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Here's a couple "gotchas" on fuses for your knowledge quest.... Our 2501 has a 10 Amp in-line fuse close to the water pump. It is well hidden behind the sheet metal door FR uses to protect the water pump and filter in the cargo bay.

The second hidden fuse is also a 10Amp in line for the exterior plug for the Zamp solar "stuff". This one can be really hidden as it gets sprayed coated with the goop FR insulates the undercarriage with...

While we are on electrical "stuff" if you want to install a permanent mount surge suppressor the easiest place is under the bed. There is a nice space beside the main power panel, on the drivers side, at the foot of the bed. After installing it route the remote display cable, if equipped with one, to just above the power converter panel. That location lets my wife see the current amperage in use before adding more load like the convection microwave. Since installing the remote display I haven't needed to go thru the coach resetting the AC breakers after a kitchen "Aw Crap"... I use a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. See Here if you're looking for a unit.

As I find more "undocumented enhancements" to our 2500 I'll post them...
Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the post. First RV after many years without one.
We were told to find the controller for the slides but our technician had so many other fixes to take care of, we didn't get that information.
Is your rear camera display backwards?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogtx View Post
Is your rear camera display backwards?
Welcome to the forum! In our 2500 the remote control for the rear camera can "flip" the view to suit your tastes...
Old 11-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

My rear camera viewer is the in-dash Pioneer radio screen. RedLdr, is it the same for you or do you have a separate camera screen?

v/r rch
Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
My rear camera viewer is the in-dash Pioneer radio screen. RedLdr, is it the same for you or do you have a separate camera screen?

v/r rch
On our new 2500TSF it is in the Pioneer. In all our previous Sunseekers the camera display replaced the rear view mirror.

I prefer the rear view mirror replacement as I could just glance at it and the outside mirrors. With the in dash display I have to "look" for it...
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

I found the hydraulics for my LCI Level Up system (not Big Foot). The pump, reservoir, etc are on the drivers side mounted inside the frame in front of the drivers side dual rear wheels.

Notes to self:
1. The entire LCI hydraulic unit has a cover of dried mud/dirt from last weekend in the national forest just from the roads on a rainy day. I am not sure that this is good. Consider buying an electric power washer for under carriage cleaning.

2. Bring a creeper to work on the hydraulics. At 68, I am too d*mn old to "back shimmy" around on the asphalt.

There appears to be more "stuff" bolted inside the frame up and down the unit. I am going to have to identify each item I see or I will never know inner piece.

Hydraulics found.

v/r rch
Old 11-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #13

RedLdr1, thank you for the reply. Couldn't find any button on the remote for reversing the image but were going in for warraranty work and maybe we can have this looked at.
On another note. We took our rig to a auto stereo place and now have the tv sound coming thru the house speakers. They added a cable to house receiver.
We couldn't hear the tv half the time before.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogtx View Post
RedLdr1, thank you for the reply. Couldn't find any button on the remote for reversing the image but were going in for warraranty work and maybe we can have this looked at.
On another note. We took our rig to a auto stereo place and now have the tv sound coming thru the house speakers. They added a cable to house receiver.
We couldn't hear the tv half the time before.
I’m pretty sure most, if not all, the newer units have that capability. Two problems though. The HDMI cable is already in place from the DVD player to the TV but it’s usually not plugged into the correct HDMI location on the TV. Then, dealers don’t bother to explain how to set the DVD player to HDMI ARC source in order to put the TV sound into the overhead speaker (probably because they don’t know it’s there).
Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #15

chilidogtx, I wondered if the TV could be made to play through my Jensen "house system". I see the cable and hdmi connections with a shelf for placing a dvd or whatever and connecting to the TV. I don't see a preinstalled connection between the tv and the Jensen "house system". Is your house system a Jensen setup?

emm-dee, should the Jensen house system connect/broadcast the TV sound as delivered (meaning I would need to find the setting) or should I follow chilidogtx's lead and go find an auto stereo place?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

v/r rch
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #16

Quote:

emm-dee, should the Jensen house system connect/broadcast the TV sound as delivered (meaning I would need to find the setting) or should I follow chilidogtx's lead and go find an auto stereo place?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

v/r rch
I can only provide info pertaining to my 3051s but I assume the other Forester models are very similar or maybe even identical.

The RV should have two HDMI cables plugged into the back of the tv. The folks assembling the unit see two cables so they just plug them in, which means there’s a 50% chance the cables are not plugged into the proper HDMI input. One of the cables runs directly to the Jensen. It must be plugged into HDMI input labeled “ARC”.

The cables are not labeled so the best way to find the cable to the Jensen is to have something playing on the TV. Turn on the Jensen and press the “Source” button until you see “HDMI ARC” displayed on the screen. If the sound from the TV doesn’t changeover from TV speakers to the Jensen speakers swap the cables plugged into the HDMI ports on the TV.

FYI, the second HDMI cable at the TV terminates in the “tech cabinet” above the Jensen. There is a single female HDMI input there that I use for Apple TV. It could be used for Fire TV, a game station, or anything that needs HDMI to display. It has nothing to do with the Jensen except for the Jensen outputting sound received from the TV via ARC.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #17

emm-dee, thanks for the great explanation and the pictures. I will check tomorrow and see what is what. I did find the HDMI above the Jensen and plugged an HDMI CABLE into it and into an Apple HDMI adapter that plugs into my IPAD. It will play on the installed TV in the HDMI1 Mode setting. This makes me think that I might be able to just adjust the Jensen and the TV settings and they might work together.

Many of my questions/issues may turn out to be operator head-space and timing problems. The good news, is that people like you and the many others on this forum are willing to share.

My "Treasure" offering for today is for draining the Dometic Water Heater. The drain plug size for the Dometic Water Heater (plastic with no anode rod) is 15/16th of an inch. I used a 3/8th inch drive with a universal coupler at the socket and a 5" extension. Fit perfectly and worked perfectly.

Water heater lesson learned: Depressurize the water heater with the safety valve before you unscrew the drain plug. I shot the drain plug into the parking lot. I did open a hot water faucet with the water pump off, but, it was after I had opened the bypass and closed the line valves. The faucet was no longer connected to the heater. The tank was dead cold, but, with any heat it would have been REALLY bad.

thanks to all.
v/r rch
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #18

Quote:
emm-dee, thanks for the great explanation and the pictures. I will check tomorrow and see what is what. I did find the HDMI above the Jensen and plugged an HDMI CABLE into it and into an Apple HDMI adapter that plugs into my IPAD. It will play on the installed TV in the HDMI1 Mode setting. This makes me think that I might be able to just adjust the Jensen and the TV settings and they might work together.

Many of my questions/issues may turn out to be operator head-space and timing problems. The good news, is that people like you and the many others on this forum are willing to share.

My "Treasure" offering for today is for draining the Dometic Water Heater. The drain plug size for the Dometic Water Heater (plastic with no anode rod) is 15/16th of an inch. I used a 3/8th inch drive with a universal coupler at the socket and a 5" extension. Fit perfectly and worked perfectly.

Water heater lesson learned: Depressurize the water heater with the safety valve before you unscrew the drain plug. I shot the drain plug into the parking lot. I did open a hot water faucet with the water pump off, but, it was after I had opened the bypass and closed the line valves. The faucet was no longer connected to the heater. The tank was dead cold, but, with any heat it would have been REALLY bad.

thanks to all.
v/r rch
If you put a DVD in the Jensen then you know there is a separate HDMI cable if the dvd shows on the tv. If that works then you should be able to get sound FROM the TV into the Jensen (via ARC) so you can play over the overhead speakers. Should be HDMI-2.

Yep...you, me, and several thousand others have experienced the anode rod rocket from the heater if not depressurized before removing. I’ve heard of one guy who did it twice (but I’ll never admit it).
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #19

Quote:
I found the hydraulics for my LCI Level Up system (not Big Foot). The pump, reservoir, etc are on the drivers side mounted inside the frame in front of the drivers side dual rear wheels.

Notes to self:
1. The entire LCI hydraulic unit has a cover of dried mud/dirt from last weekend in the national forest just from the roads on a rainy day. I am not sure that this is good. Consider buying an electric power washer for under carriage cleaning.

2. Bring a creeper to work on the hydraulics. At 68, I am too d*mn old to "back shimmy" around on the asphalt.

There appears to be more "stuff" bolted inside the frame up and down the unit. I am going to have to identify each item I see or I will never know inner piece.

Hydraulics found.

v/r rch
I'm 69 and parked in my side yard so no asphalt but no fun "back shimmying" on the ground either. I have a large piece of masonite that is smooth on one side that I put under the rig when necessary and can slide around on that fairly easily.
For the oil and filter change I put down a tarp. Keeps any spillage off the ground and easy to clean up.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #20

[/QUOTE]
Emmdee this is off topic but I am curious about your set up with Apple TV. It appears from the picture that you the HDMI out from the Apple TV is going in to an HDMI splitter. If so is the other HDMI cable going to your outside TV? If so I have 2 qyestions. How hard/easy was it to get the cable fished out to the outside TV? Secondlt, will the HMDI work for the outside TV to play sound through the outside speakers (if selected by the Jensen receiver)?
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, forester