Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Is it dangerous to drive with generator running?

I run my generator often when I am driving through a warm geographical area when temps hit 90 plus with folks sitting outside the driver cabin. I run my air conditioner to keep my RV nice and cool.

Am I missing something by running my generator & A/C while driving? It never occurred to me that that could be a problem or possibly even dangerous?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleguy1991 View Post
I run my generator often when I am driving through a warm geographical area when temps hit 90 plus with folks sitting outside the driver cabin. I run my air conditioner to keep my RV nice and cool.

Am I missing something by running my generator & A/C while driving? It never occurred to me that that could be a problem or possibly even dangerous?
Not dangerous at all, quite common actually....especially in summer months

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

That's good to know, I was talking on another thread and someone commented on how they never run their generator while driving their RV on the road and I thought holy moly, am I doing something wrong?

While we are on the subject, is there anything that should not be running while the RV is in motion? How about the heat furnace or the microwave oven for example?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Is it dangerous to drive with generator running?

No issue at all. I do it all the time when it's very hot. Takes a little extra gas but hardly enough to notice.

I also run all the other items you mention at times. The only thing I do is make sure everything is off when fueling up. Although odds of it are very small I don't want any sparks or flames around gas fumes.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

We run outs for the main Ac to cool things off and the fridges.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

I was told that using the genny to drive the AC was more economical than using the dashboard AC. Don't know if that is true...but it seems likely. We do it both ways depending on the temps.
The other thing I was warned about is to keep the fuel over 1/4 tank as there is an auto genny shutoff once it gets down that low. Don't know if that applies to yours but something to check out.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

Code 14 states air in the fuel will cause the generator to run high frequency. frequency of 70 Hz for 40 seconds will shut off the generator. This is why the 1/4 tank thing. I don't think this would be a real issue in a motorhome since the pick up in an automobile is in the bottom of the tank. In a tow behind the pickup goes through the top of the tank does not go all the way to the bottom so at a 1/4 tank you could pull air.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
Code 14 states air in the fuel will cause the generator to run high frequency. frequency of 70 Hz for 40 seconds will shut off the generator. This is why the 1/4 tank thing. I don't think this would be a real issue in a motorhome since the pick up in an automobile is in the bottom of the tank. In a tow behind the pickup goes through the top of the tank does not go all the way to the bottom so at a 1/4 tank you could pul air.
It's normal operation for all the motorhomes (currently FR 378TS) I have owned. 1/4 tank and the genny won't run. Don't know if it's the fuel gage or fuel pump that shuts down the genny fuel pump.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

With reference to saving gas by running the generator to power the coach air conditioner instead of using the cab air conditioner, I tested this and posted the results a few weeks ago with the thread name Running Coach A/C While Driving under the Sunseeker forum.

In summary, I found that the cab A/C system requires less than 0.2 gallons per hour to operate compared to about 0.5 gallons per hour to run the generator. I’d suggest that you run the generator for cooling when you need it to keep the coach cool, but just use the cab A/C if it does the job for your situation.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
With reference to saving gas by running the generator to power the coach air conditioner instead of using the cab air conditioner, I tested this and posted the results a few weeks ago with the thread name Running Coach A/C While Driving under the Sunseeker forum.

In summary, I found that the cab A/C system requires less than 0.2 gallons per hour to operate compared to about 0.5 gallons per hour to run the generator. Id suggest that you run the generator for cooling when you need it to keep the coach cool, but just use the cab A/C if it does the job for your situation.
Thanks for that data...good to know!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator