Old 07-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #31

Chris thanks for your input. I have always well at least for the 4 months we have owned this been worried about not having a spare. I will look into getting one mounted underneath. Never thought of that.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't think that the front and rear rims are the same on your MH...if that's the case, the mounted spare is for which end?

That's why I understand that other MH owners carry a unmounted spare and have roadside assistance mount it the rim of the blown tire.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #33

I thought they were all the same but I need to look into it.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #34

It doesn't have one mounted underneath the rear like all other sunseekers?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #35

No spare mounted underneath it a Berkshire 390RB 340 DP with 255/80r22.5. A spare would just fit in the basement and a mounted spare is very heavy. My plan covers road side service 24/7/365. It would be a long wait if a flat happened in some areas of the country but I would think a day or two and a tire would be available most anywhere. I may call some places we plan to travel to see what the worse case would be. That would be the deciding factor on carrying a spare. I did look under the MH and mounting a spare there would not be a easy thing to do and very expensive. I say this post and wondered what other MH did. I think that I wasn't clear on what is involved in changing a flat. I asked the dealer and they recommend having a good service plan and letting the service company haul the tire for you. Waiting for a exact match is what worried me.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
No spare mounted underneath it a Berkshire 390RB 340 DP with 255/80r22.5. A spare would just fit in the basement and a mounted spare is very heavy. My plan covers road side service 24/7/365. It would be a long wait if a flat happened in some areas of the country but I would think a day or two and a tire would be available most anywhere. I may call some places we plan to travel to see what the worse case would be. That would be the deciding factor on carrying a spare. I did look under the MH and mounting a spare there would not be a easy thing to do and very expensive. I say this post and wondered what other MH did. I think that I wasn't clear on what is involved in changing a flat. I asked the dealer and they recommend having a good service plan and letting the service company haul the tire for you. Waiting for a exact match is what worried me.
Not for certain about a spare, don't have one either, but these tires are truly truck tires and can be supplied by road service dealers in a failure. We both know not too many people can change these wheels 22.5" with on board equipment. Road service trucks carry tires for many sizes, with jacks, pneumatic wrenchs and sledge hammers to get them loose. I think if you should have to call tell them tire size they would have it or can get it soon. Notice these repairs trucks carry spares without rims, they mount on scene. I can't imagine what these tires weigh mine is 235 while yours is 255 even heavier. What ever they are they reduce RV cargo capacity by quite a bit. Tools would be even more. I'm going to call a local truck tire dealer and ask him response time and availability of equal tires, just for example. Tires are all alike, my outside rims are all alum alloy and the inside rears are steel.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #37

I think this is being slightly over thought. Just about any roadside service truck for trucks/semis carries the tools to mount these tires. they also have quite a selection of tires with them, or when you call you tell them your size to make sure they have it with them. They even can bring a rim with them if the damage requires a new rim. No it probably wont be an aluminum rim but it would get you down the road. 22.5" and 24" are the 2 common sizes on semi trucks. When your on the road look for truck stops or truck service centers. See how many are around? There is a website you can use to look for truck repair centers anythime, you enter the state and city and a list pops up with centers near by. Unless you out in the boonies I would be surprised if you are more than 100 miles from a service center for trucks at any given time. here is the link. NTTS Truck Repair

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #38

I wondered the same thing about my travel trailer its a wildwood 261bhxl and it did not come with a spare. It would take up around 100 lbs with the spare plus mount. The dealer only suggested the roadside assistance that's provided for the first year and to check them have them rotated regularly. I read some places and it seems like it would be a hassle to get a spare much less trying to change the spare I'm not one to want to crawl under my trailer to put the jack and chock the wheels and hope its level when I'm changing it. I guess the choice is more up to the person. Like the habit of always carrying around jumper cables
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #39

Is a spare necessary? When you have flat, yes.
Is it cheap? Maybe, maybe not. Neighbor just changed all 4 tires on his 4 year old TT due to dry rot. Spares rot too.

From what I gather reading here TT tires suck, quality wise. I'm hoping not to find out the hard way.

Last flat I had on one of my cars was .... still thinking....hmmm...16 years ago when I ran over a board in the road. Spare was flat too as it had spent a decade under my truck (checked at times...but I guess not often enough).

And so I have a spare...I don't have the tools/jack to change the tire on the TT so it won't do me too much good. I may have some road side assitance that came with some membership...no clue. Gave up on AAA 30 years ago when I needed them most and they were less than useless.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad