Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #11
2012 Solera
Tire valve extensions

Originally Posted by 13STL View Post
Anyone know of a way to check the rear inside tire pressures. Neither of the inside tire extenders work at all. We can't get a reading.
Several of us have had difficulty checking pressure and adding air to tires with the AirFlex (yellow "composite" tubes with black "nylon" or similar ends). Issue is the center core doesn't extend far enough to press the tire valve with a normal guage or tire air chuck. Several of us have solved by trimming a few threads of the black "nylon" end off, exposing more of the core. The AirFlex extensions are "airless" - only are filled with tire air when the core is depressed and presses the tire valve - e.g. when checking pressure or adding air. If something happens to the extension while driving, the tire should'nt deflate.
As I've mentioned here before, I tie the extensions to the wheel covers and the wheel covers to the wheels to avoid the extensions whipping around while driving. 65 K miles and on second set of tires now with no extension issues.

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
Man this can be a real PITA !!!
The first time I checked ours I keep loosing more air that I could add,,, I even took the Hub Caps off !!! I have since found if I hold the flex tub with needle nose pliers,,, I can do real well !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Commercial Member
Sounds like the low cost "plastic" short extension is not much more than a gimmick to allow the RV dealer to point it out and imply they are doing you a favor by having this "feature" on the RV. When in reality it seems to cause problems for many.

When properly installed (bolted down) the longer (pressurized not "airless") woven steel hose set along with TPMS seems to be best solution.

If I sold this stuff, which I don't, that would be the only type I would carry.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #14
Personal I am always looking for a way to fix or do things with out spend any of my SS check !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #15
When I owned a travel trailer I had a number of tire blow outs. So we want to avoid this happening on the RV. I bought solid dually valve stem extensions and had a tire dealer install them. They came with rubber "football" shaped stabilizers to anchor the inside tire stems. These make it easy, solid and accurate to check and air up the tires.

They also make adding TPMS sensors more secure.

Since having these installed I haven't had to add any air to my tires in more than 3000 miles over 4 or 5 months. Highly recommended but not cheap. About $250 for the stems and installation.

2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote

pressure, tire