Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Junction box In compartment behind generator

Well having the generator worked on today in Nashville The generator tech showed me an electrical junction box In the first compartment behind the generator Located on the ceiling portion of the Compartment .He said the wires in there came from the generator and go to the Air conditioner And Transfer switch I'm confused About the one going to the air conditioner
daywalker567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think so... The generator wiring goes directly to the transfer switch only on any rig I've ever seen. If the A/C had a direct feed from the generator it would need it's own transfer switch for using shore power. Plus you would need two separate breakers 115VAC breakers, one on each power source, for the A/C. I suspect he was a tad confused on that one...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I don't think so... The generator wiring goes directly to the transfer switch only on any rig I've ever seen. If the A/C had a direct feed from the generator it would need it's own transfer switch for using shore power. Plus you would need two separate breakers 115VAC breakers, one on each power source, for the A/C. I suspect he was a tad confused on that one...
X2 and saying he may have been confused is very kind. IF there is a second wire connected, it could go to an RV outlet so one could have a “buddy” connection.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
llr

On my 1994 Bounder with dual AC and 30amp service the generator bypassed the main panel so both ACs could run when on the generator. From shore power there was a selector switch to choose front or rear AC.

So what he is talking about at least did exist on some units. I would assume if your unit is fairly modern and either has a single AC or 50AMP service that this would not be the case.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

but, why would it be wired that way? why would you need TWO ac's running while driving, but NOT while parked? weird, but I suppose possible.

having said that, it's another of those 'why' questions when it comes to manufacturing decisions by the builder - if you have to 'select' which ac unit can run when plugged into shore power, WHY would the builder then go to extra costs to 'bypass' the transfer switch from the generator to allow you to 'power' both ACs while on generator?
I suppose that the Generator was a larger amperage unit than 30amps? That, again, is not typical, though I suppose, again, it's possible.
If the generator has a 30amp breaker, 'why' could it power both AC units, but 30amp shore power 'could not'(hence, the factory interior 'switch')? or was it a larger 40amp breaker on the Generator?

I'm confrusdeded....(that's a new word, for being really confrused!)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
llr

my generator was a 5500 watt which would be about 45 amps. I have no idea when 50AMP starting being used in campers but I suspect in 1994 it wasn't common in campers or parks.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

now a days it seems like we're MORE limited by the generator,
but apparently some factories were giving their customers MORE power than most RV parks and campgrounds... 'back' in the day!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
I agree also with you I've been doing this for many years now And I never heard Such a thing
Old 09-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
X2 and saying he may have been confused is very kind. IF there is a second wire connected, it could go to an RV outlet so one could have a “buddy” connection.
I couldn't agree with you more thank you very much Peter Clarksville Tennessee
Old 09-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #10

Our 89 Chieftain had 30 amp service and a 6500 watt generator. When plugged in you used a selector switch to pick front or rear AC. When the generator was running both ACs ran.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

I think it's possible, though we don't see this type of wiring scheme much anymore since now most coaches with two air conditioners have LESS generator power than the more typical 50amp(100amps) shore power that they are built for.
These 'older' coaches were more-than-likely 30amp coaches, hence the requirement for the manual 'switch' to choose 'which' air conditioner to power, when on 'only' 30amp shore power, but you could use BOTH when on the more powerful generator - nice!

I could see a separate 'sub panel' fed from the generator, which would power the second air conditioner via a junction box/switch box, which would be bypassed when on shore power.

I may have mentioned this before, but I recently met a man with a 'newer' 2012 Fleetwood Tera, a 30amp coach, with TWO air conditioners, and it was built to allow BOTH to run at the same time, on even 30amp service, or the generator - BUT, the kicker was the manual 'switch' in the coach, which required you to switch from the front Air Conditioner to the Microwave, if the microwave was needed to be used. Simple, but effective.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
where is the transfer switch located ?
fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast67 View Post
where is the transfer switch located ?
Welcome to the FRF Forester MH section.
To have a shot at answering your question you will need to specify whether you mean on the OP’s unit or yours. Then you would need to specify which model is in question.
Happy Trails
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #14

it's different on almost every coach, even sometimes within the same model line - but you'll normally find it somewhere close to the shore power cord's entry within the coach.
Mine is located under the bed, at the foot, behind a removable panel - which is right next to the Main Breaker panel.
Some are outside in the shore power bay, behind the cord, others might be mounted on the ceiling of a storage bay, but usually always near the rear area of the coach.

It is pretty much a square box, with two large incoming power cords, and one outgoing to the electrical panel. When you remove the cover, it's simply a connection of all these wires. The 'switch' simply moves to make the wires connect, either to Generator power, if any, or to shore power, if any.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Team

The location of the transfer switch is a very closely guarded secret...as is anything electrical when you ask FR.

It varies by model, year, and who installed it. I've had them located in the storage bay next to the generator, under the bed, directly behind the converter, under the fridge, and under a kitchen drawer...I know that isn't much help. If you provide more info on your rig you might get lucky and someone else here has the same model and knows where it should be located.

Tags
forester, generator