Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
1acer

Thanks for your service MM1. Many happy years of RVing to you and your family. It definitely beats staying in a motel and allows you to meet lots of nice people!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #12

Enjoy !

Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

3051S Weights

I have the same model on a 2013 Ford E-450 chassis. One of my suggestion's is weighting the unit before you load a single item. Note your fuel tank level and count for people inside the unit or step everyone out of the vehicle for weighting. You can do this at Pilot/Flying J Truck stops for $10.00.

The 3051/3050 is a heavy Class "C" and the heaviest Forester. You need to limit the amount of cargo you carry and this includes fresh water. The rear axle GVWR is 9,600 lbs. DO NOT overload the rear axle! The vehicle will become more difficult to drive and steering becomes very sensitive. I would upgrade the Ford Steering damper to a much heavier steering stabilizer. My choice was a Roadmaster Reflex Stabilizer.

You have one of the best designed Class "C" floor plans on the market. Remember to manage your electrical use as it is 30 amps. Basically, you can NOT run all electrical appliances at the same time without tripping a circuit breaker. If the a/c or heat pump is off then electrical overloading is less likely to happen. Convection cooking with the a/c, hot water and refrigerator on is an overload condition. Remember you can manage the load by turning off some appliance's or switching them to propane. I normally shut-off my hot water heater for convection cooking when the a/c or heat pump is on.

I have been in my 3051S now for three months and it is very comfortable. But will be heading back to Florida November 1st.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #14

Thanks

Cool thanks for the info. I am very weight weary. As my wife and I have been shopping to equip the rv our first consideration is weight. I have read others about "front loading' the heavier loads. I also am very aware that weight = lower mpg so we are not packing "everything including the kitchen sink. I have read others writing about a loose front end when loaded and hope to avoid it

The main reason I choose this model ,after a long and tedious search, was to tow my Ford Transit Connect. I need the 7500lb rating. I do not have a FlyingJ/Plot anywhere near me to weigh so i am looking to see if there is somewhere else I can go. We are doing a couple small weekend trips this month and then will be winterizing and getting ready for a major cross country trip in march.

Since I am a newbie at RVing i have been reading everything I can and asking as many questions as I can think of.

So if anyone else has tips about loading or pulling a Toad I would love to read about it.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

I shift a lot of items into the bed of my Toyoda Tacoma for traveling. This greatly reduces the cargo load in the RV. The curb weight of my Pickup is just over 3800 lbs. The maximum hitch load currently allows me to tow 5000 lbs. If I upgrade the hitch to the 7500 lbs model then loading just gets better. So my way of handling cargo is carrying a loaded toad.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #16

Congrats and Good Luck. I hope you are able to travel to warm weather all fall and winter long. It would drive me nuts to get her out one time then put her to bed for the winter. It sucks having to do it knowing I've used it all summer long. Oh well 2 more weekends and she gets put away for her winter nap. I can't wait for April 15th when we open her up!

Happy Camping!
The Voleks
Bay Shore Resort on Pymatuning Lake
Andover, Ohio
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #17

Congratulations. I know how you feel. We bought our first trailer 3 weeks ago and I said I felt like a little girl with a new playhouse.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #18

Today was a special day in my household I brought the rv home. Our dealer CLEM'S trailer sales Ellwood City Pa. gave us a great orientation, a little over 2 hours. WOW what a load of information. Then the passing of the keys and it was official It was mine. Driving a 31' long 11
high vehicle is quite a trip. Had a 40 mile drive home so got familiar real quick. it only took a few miles to start feeling comfortable and sat back and enjoyed the ride.
Can't wait to Friday to go out for the weekend on our shakedown cruise
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
GM

I used to try and do the speed limit....but I quickly realized that's why you have a motorhome...no reason to be in a big hurry. Enjoy the trip, the whole trip not just the destination. So now I keep it around 60-65 and its so much more enjoyable. Quieter ride, no white knuckling, just kick back and relax.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #20

Congratulations and Thanks for your service! We just bought our first one also. A 2004 Forester 3101. Making our first short trip in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck and Enjoy!