Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

keyless entry lock

HAs anyone installed the keyless entry lock from RV Lock? If so how did it fit? Did any adjustments need to be made? I have a 2018 Forester 3011dsf
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Empty Nesters

I have a Sunseeker 2250 and it fit in there just fine. We are very happy with the keyless lock.

It went into the door without any problems. The inside latch was hitting up against the screen door just a little bit. I took my dremel tool and just had to take off about 1/16" of the screen door frame...not even up to the channel where the screen in held in with the spline. I could have just as easily used a file instead of a dremel tool.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

They work very well.

Be very careful installing it. The small wires can easily get sandwiched between the two pieces (inside and outside) and this voids the warranty. To avoid this, I wrapped the wires in electrical tape. Once it is in, you don't need to mess with the internals ever again.

If you get the remote keypad version of the main entry door lock, you will need to change the battery on it about every 4-6 months, depending on how much you use it. You can tell when it is going, as you will need to enter the number numerous times, before it finally takes.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

I tried both RV Lock and Bauer, with no luck for me. (I did not want to mod the door or screen.)

Both companies were fine with a return, so I would not hesitate to try either.

IIRC, one (I think Bauer), because of the "shared" keys on their pad, has a much smaller number of possible button combinations, but was plenty enough to keep out anyone without time to figure out the possibilities and try them.

The problem the aftermarket companies have, is the door providers, like the MH builders, use whatever parts are on hand, so there can be variances in hole size, hole placement, and issues with the screen door opening. (Many/most? MH's companies use a door and frame supplied by a third party, already drilled and setup for installation into the cutout.)

Plus, unless you have access to the striker plate, for replacement or adjustment, you may have issues with getting the pins to align.

Just to be clear, I have nothing bad to say about the two products I tried, and they are worth a try, but do not expect a simple replacement in every case.

The lock replacement also has to meet federal regulations, which likely prevents some possible solutions, such as removable lock pins of different lengths, and pins with offset holes to ease alignment.

Also, if your door has decals in the door latch area, they will likely be damaged in the remove and replace, so plan ahead. (This was problem one in my attempts, but was solved when we received a replacement door and decals, due to the door not having proper camber.)

One of the companies has heeded a suggestion I made, which was to make available a sort of gasket to be used behind the lock, which can cover decal issues and color fading issues, when the new lock does not cover as much as the old.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #5

I've put the Bauer lock on two previous Travel Trailers and just put a RVLock on my 2018 3011DSF. Although I never had any problems with the Bauer I prefer the RV Lock because of individual number buttons (not shared numbers like the Bauer), a remote and actual buttons rather touch sensitive pads.

I did need the previously mentioned "gasket" (really a black vinyl sticker) to cover areas exposed due to the differing shapes of the stock lock vs the RVLock.

The stock lock had two spacers, I used one of them with the RVLock and had enough screen door clearance to not need to cut back the screen door as some others mentioned. The striker pins had to be adjusted (unscrewed) a bit to fit the latch plate properly. I used set screws threaded in the pin holes and then screwed in the pins so I could tighten them against something but I suppose Locktite would work.
tkljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #6

I have a 'keyless' lock pad..... I will never lock my camper again with out the 'Real Key' in my pocket. 'Keyless' works great when it works.... If a push arm sticks, or 'current' is not good.... . It may make a bunch of noise and never 'unlock' the door.... Good thing I have two doors and 'someone' left the back door unlocked..... I will never go through that feeling again....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I have a 'keyless' lock pad..... I will never lock my camper again with out the 'Real Key' in my pocket.
I agree and I do fear that happening. I always have the "Real Key" on me in the campground. It is convenient in the driveway and at the campground for multiple people to be able to unlock/lock the door without needing to hunt down the physical key.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

We have the RV Lock and it has worked flawlessly for 18 months on the same batteries. On install I did have to trim the opening a bit but it is snug and well made.

Marty
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
I have a Sunseeker 2250 and it fit in there just fine. We are very happy with the keyless lock.

It went into the door without any problems. The inside latch was hitting up against the screen door just a little bit. I took my dremel tool and just had to take off about 1/16" of the screen door frame...not even up to the channel where the screen in held in with the spline. I could have just as easily used a file instead of a dremel tool.

I installed the RV keyless lock in our 2801QS and the install was the same as mentioned above. A bit of filing on the screen door touched up with white paint. It was worth it, the remotes are great, one for each of us, no worries about keys.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #10

Love our RV lock model...no trimming for your Shamrock. It will be one of the first items I buy if we ever upgrade to a TT from the hybrid. Total game changer.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #11

To the folks that have either the Bauer NE or the RVLock, are the keys different from other keys out there? i.e. different from standard rv door lock keys? The main reason for getting one would be security not convenience.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I have a 'keyless' lock pad..... I will never lock my camper again with out the 'Real Key' in my pocket. 'Keyless' works great when it works.... If a push arm sticks, or 'current' is not good.... . It may make a bunch of noise and never 'unlock' the door.... Good thing I have two doors and 'someone' left the back door unlocked..... I will never go through that feeling again....
I had a Bauer on my Jayco Greyhawk and I feel the same way because the same thing happened to me.

Always carried the keys after that.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #13

I also have the RVLock V4. Love it so far. The key stays in the truck. We usually just use the keypad but the fobs are nice too.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #14

Installed the RV lock for class C/A.

DH installed the RV lock. It fit in the door hole very well but on the screen door he used a dremel tool to cut it back a little. Also , the inside lock placement doesn't allow enough room to close the door. This is due to the screen door opening being too close to the handle.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8401-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	163549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8403-1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	163550  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #15

I Have the RVLock, it is an Over Priced Piece of Crap
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
HAs anyone installed the keyless entry lock from RV Lock? If so how did it fit? Did any adjustments need to be made? I have a 2018 Forester 3011dsf

I bought it and i did return it it does not cover the hole in the door the dimension are not the same.
Shickshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
DH installed the RV lock. It fit in the door hole very well but on the screen door he used a dremel tool to cut it back a little. Also , the inside lock placement doesn't allow enough room to close the door. This is due to the screen door opening being too close to the handle.[IMG][/IMG]
We resolved this problem by installing a screen door bar handle. I use that to close the door.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #18

We have the RV Lock,they are a Great Company to work with! They seem to have Sales on every Holiday! Youroo!!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We have the RV Lock,they are a Great Company to work with! They seem to have Sales on every Holiday! Youroo!!
The best is black friday...40% off.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock