Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #21

Still battling this leak. I took the motorhome to an authorized warranty place a few months back. They slapped some dicor on the cabover seam... still leaking. I took it back last week, they said they did a pressure test and can't find a leak and want to charge me for any further work. This is not looking good, I may have to get a Lawyer involved.
Dago Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #22

Leak problem

So sorry for your continued problem with that cabover seam leak. Any chance the leak is somewhere above that seam and the water is running down to the seam? And I don't understand their decision to charge you for a warranty item that they can't fix without charging you. Yes, it might be time for a third party international.
grandmapaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #23

Thanks for the kind words. I just picked the RV up from the dealer in my area. Apparently they don't have a pressure testing machine. I wish they would have told me that sooner. I'm going to take it to another place here in town that has a pressure testing machine, hopefully they can find the leak. Unfortunately they aren't an authorized Forest River warrantee location so it's coming out of my pocket. Hopefully I can get Forest River to reimburse me.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #24

Finally got my rig to a repair place that knows what they're doing after two visits to a totally incompetent dealer repair facility in my area. Apparently the window on the passenger side cabover was improperly installed and not sealing properly. Have to come up with the money out of my own pocket. Hopefully Forest River will reimburse me without too much hassle. Glad to finally have an answer to the leak problem.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #25

Update... Took it to second repair place. Pressure test showed a bubble around the passenger side cabover window. Removed and re sealed. Still leaking. So, 3rd time in for same repair, Dicor slopped all over cap first two times from the authorized repair facility, window removed and re sealed along with overhead lights sealed by the second repair facility. I put rubber gutters around both cabover windows to help divert water... Still leaking. I have an email in along with a video of the leak to Russ at Forest River. There has to be a structural problem with these rigs. I noticed the 2017 models have a different cabover design which only reinforces my suspicion. I live 600 miles from the dealer I bought it from. I'm feeling pretty screwed at this point.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #26

Fixed Cap Leak

Dago Dan...I had a mysterious leak that was dumping gallons of water in my lap when I moved it. Had it back to the dealer several times with no results...they were just shotgunning all the seams hoping to find it. Finally, I took ownership of "their" problem, and ultimately found out that one of those little spouts that directs water away from the side of the RV had been damaged and created a virtually invisible crack that leaked like a sieve when the front end was down hill. I pulled the little spout backwards, and then it revealed the crack between it and the cap. I bought some marine grade epoxy, and molded a contoured repair, and that fixed it. If your RV has those little spouts, check em out...

BTW...since I took ownership of the problem, I went ahead and drilled a 3/8" hole under the bottom of the cap on each side so that water would drain out instead of in my lap, and to help any moisture dry out. I went to and Ace Hardware store, and found some perfect 3/8" plugs to reseal the holes when everything looks good.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #27

Thanks for the reply. That may be the cause. The repair facility I took it to first just slapped Dicor over everything and called it good. The second place was dumbfounded and resealed a window in the cabover but said the sealant on the roof looked good. I always suspected those gutters didn't work right. My rig drips water all over the front from the gutters overflowing. I'll check them out. Thanks very much!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #28

I was pretty well set on buying the mbs Forester 2401w until I read about all these roof leaking problems. Some of you have mentioned that FR changed the design on the 2017 models. However, when I look at online photos, they look the same to me. What's the difference between the 2016 and the 2017 front cap on the Forester 2401w?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #29

Sure you'll read about such leaks here. But it is a tiny minority and no reason to stay away from Forest River products. Thousands of owners without any problems don't post about that.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #30

2016 vs 2017

Name:   2016.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  10.2 KB
2016 2401W

Name:   2017.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  10.2 KB
2017 2401 W

I would have waited a year had I known they were going to re design the cap.

The 2401 W is a great floor plan.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #31

The thing is, I need the cabover bunk style front cap. Other than your leak, how do you like your 2401w? I'm a little nervous about the MB engine. Is it powerful enough? How about freshwater tank, is it adequate? Do you have lp generator or diesel?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #32

The MB engine is fantastic. The power is more than adequate and the cab design is really comfortable. I'm a fairly big guy 6'2" and 220 lbs with some back problems. It was the only class C cab that I could feel comfortable driving for extended periods in. The one caution I've read about on Sprinter forums is don't allow the motor to idle excessively. Apparently it causes problems with soot build up in the exhaust system. My greatest concern with the MB pusher is that the nearest dealer that can service it is 3 hours away.

I have a diesel generator on mine. I prefer to boondock and didn't like the idea of relying on propane to run my heat, fridge and generator. If you would like to talk further feel free to PM me with your phone #. I'd be glad to share what I know with you. It's a big investment and I'd be glad to help you as much as I can with the decision.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #33

Thank you for the info Dago Dan! I will be contacting you soon.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #34

The little engine that can. Pulls like you would not believe.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #35

We have a 2014 27 foot Forester MH. We love every part of it including the ford chase
it sits on. Only problem...when it is raining and you open up either the driver side door or the passenger side door, water shoots off the roof gutters down the inside of the doors into the electrical components for the windows/up-down and door locks switches. Water and electricity do not do well together. Anyone out there have had this problem? Any good solutions?

Thanks for a first timer asking on this site.
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #36

Leak in cab after rain

We have a 2016 2401w with the trecker cab. We think it is a perfect travel vehicle for two. Note I said travel not RV. We tend to stay on the move. Only 2-4 days in a place then off to explore some place else. Try to keep drives between locations to about 1-2 hours max. We like it because the small size does not restrict where we want to go. We got caught in downtown Montreal traffic at rush hour and it was no big deal. Pulls into any gas station, don't need to worry about pulling in and out. Been averaging 14+ mpg. We bought our after the new model year came out. Great deal. I think the real benefit was that it sat on the lot for a little bit so all the small problems were fixed. It seems that every problem vehicle reported here are ones that were ordered and picked up as soon as they got to the dealer. No time to have issues show up and be fixed. We carry bikes for short trips around where we are staying. No problem driving the MH if needed.
One thing to be aware of is the carrying capacity. Figure out what you think you need on the road then add up the weight. It's very easy to get over GVW. You will run up against the weight limit before you will run out of storage space.

2016 Forester 2401W newbie
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #37

New to this blog. But, I don't see anything relating to my question.
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
New to this blog. But, I don't see anything relating to my question.
Let me try to answer you.
1. Everyone has this issue. So far I know of no damage from it. But it sure is aggravating.
2. Your question really should not be tacked on to this thread. This thread is about leaks inside the cab where the front cap and body are joined. A very serious issue and one bearing no connection to your question. Just because they both are related to water does not make them connected. When you have an exact same issue it makes sense to add your question to an existing thread. However, when it is a totally different subject it's always best to start a new thread asking your own question.
3. Lastly, honest I'm not trying to be smart or give you a hard time, but just so you know the terminology, this is a forum and not a blog.

I apologize in advance if this sounds like I'm giving you a hard time, I certainly don't mean it that way.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #39

Quote:
We have a 2014 27 foot Forester MH. We love every part of it including the ford chase
it sits on. Only problem...when it is raining and you open up either the driver side door or the passenger side door, water shoots off the roof gutters down the inside of the doors into the electrical components for the windows/up-down and door locks switches. Water and electricity do not do well together. Anyone out there have had this problem? Any good solutions?

Don't open the driver's door when its raining.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #40
2012 Solera

Quote:

I added short gutter extensions to the front gutter outlets on our Solera. From Amazon, as I remember - but someone here said they are easy to make from gallon milk jug handles. Moves the water out far enough to allow getting out or in with the door partially open without having the water stream dump on the door switches - but I have to remember not to fully open the door during rain!
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak