Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Leaks

Well, maiden voyage, first trip in this new motorhome, and three leaks. Really? I told the dealer the seals on the drivers side slide weren't installed right, now I got wet carpet. Thought these things were leak tested before leaving the factory. A thorough inspection would have found this. If looking at the slide from inside, bottom left had a puddle of water and bottom right carpet was wet. It's getting past both wipers. Also, one of the tall windows in the hall had water in the bottom of it. I'm just about ready to build my own. Will probably make the trip to Indiana as I would like all the seals done correctly, with me there. Or, just take all of them off and do it my way. Never seen seals put on with nails. The tracks are, then the bulb and wiper just loosely snap to that. Barely bump mine and they come off. Off the soap box for now, just very disappointed.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
GM

100% of our units are leak tested in a rain booth and pressure tested (a commercial fan is attached to a false door pressurizing the unit, then a soap solution is sprayed on the vehicle to check for air leaks). If the unit set on the dealer lot for a decent amout of time, it should have been rechecked before retail delivery. Also, we check them on a fairly level surface, so slope can play a factor as well.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

It sat on the lot for about 3 months. Where it's leaking should not have changed any. I'll have to send pictures of the seals and slide box. The whole box is not squared in the hole. This is the same slide we discussed before on the adjustment. The part I adjusted had no effect on the wipers. It's hard to get a good picture, but the water came past the wipers and ran down that white rubber roof material and down the inside of the bottom wiper. Either way, if you see what I see under the slide, I doubt you'd accept it as "good to go", Especially for over $70k. The proof is in the wet floor, and the coach was leveled via 4' level across the floor both ways.

I dealt with similar with tiffin, and how it was done depended on which guy was working on it. After making them redo it a couple of times, the last guy got it spot on. No leaks. Why should an assembly guy put his heart and soul into quality work if he'll probably never see it again, or own one?

Not starting an argument, but this stuff definitely concerns me. I'll let the local guys look at it first, but I do have an appointment at FR for march 25th.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
GM

I just wanted to assure you that we do test everything. Unfortunately these things sometimes still happen (as you noted on your Tiffin). Our service guys are pretty good over there, so hopefully they can get to the root cause and correct it.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

In order to try to give you a visual of what I have going on, I attached a few pictures. In regards to what I considered out of square, you can look at the first 4 attachments.

Upper Left Seal - Gap between slide box and opening is so tight I can't slide my fingers in there.

Lower Left Seal - Gap is big enough I can slide just my fingers in barely.

Upper Right Seal - Large gap between slide box and opening that I can get most of my hand through.

Lower Right Seal - Still decent, but tighter than the upper.

Not sure what if anything can be done to correct it. If you look at the wiper across the roof, it looks farely normal. Not sure if the slide box itself is out of square or the cut out is.

On the leak, the last few pictures shows what the upper left seal looked like when I got it and after I repositioned the top wiper to overlap the side one. Even still, there's quite a gap where I'm guessing the water came in and went down to the carpet behind the driver's seat. On the back end, the only thing I can see that I'm not crazy about, is normally that top bulb overlaps the side one. Still can't figure out where that water got in.

Hopefully, the guys there are understanding and patient with me. I'm opting to bring it up there opposed to the dealer as I'm hoping they've seen thousands of these slides and seals, have any parts readily available and can get it fixed as perfect as can be. First impression is the kicker, so I'm hoping it's a good one. A company that will make things right to please a customer gets business over and over from me like Sunnybrook did for years.

This one slideout has been just about my only major aggravation so far. On the inside, the fridge leans out and looks out of square no matter whether the slide is in or out. That's obvious looking down the hallway. Maybe they're all like that, but I haven't looked at another one. Other items are or were simple fixes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS Slide - Upper Left.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	24270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS Slide - Lower Left.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24271   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS Slide - Upper Right.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	24272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS Slide - Lower Right.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Left Seals - From Factory.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	24274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Left Seals - After Wiper Repositioned.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Left Seals - After Wipers Repositioned (b).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24276  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
GM

Frankly the water could be sheeting down the slide sidewall...hitting that bottom piece of trim and riding that in. A bead of caulk or piece of rubber resting on top of that bottom trim piece would dam the water that could be coming in where the rubber seal does not sit perfectly flat at that transition. There is a teeny tiny triangle gap there where the transition is.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #7

wow seeing and reading about these type of leak problems
makes me think twice about buying any type of slide out rig

my buddies motor home has a slid out
I was looking to buy it from him last year
the slid out would stick and needed some manpower help
killed that sell
Mountainman
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

I agree mountainman. This is why we have a 2900 without slides being built in the factory right now. We are really looking forward to it. Sales people always say " slides are never a problem" but with all the issues RVs can have, I'm looking forward to reducing as many issues as I can!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

(most all salespeople)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post

Sales people always say " slides are never a problem"

yes that is what they (most all salespeople) will tell us
and I must admit
those rigs with the slide outs got lots of room inside
but
I have read about plenty of problems regarding slide outs

my question to the engineers of slidouts would be
have these things truly been perfected ???

Mountainman
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
GM

Nothing is perfect. Houses leak...stuff happens. My question would be, would you not build a house because it may leak?

If you get a leak you have it repaired. So people are going to buy a unit that does not give you maximum living area, may not have as large a resell market, because they "might" have an issue?

At the end of the day "to each his own", but I sort of feel like it's some religious movement. "I have a non slide, so I'm going to convince the world why they should buy a non-slide as well". They take every opportunity to spread the gospel.

The sky is not falling. Are they perfect, no. But as we have discussed on here before...most people come here because they have an issue that needs resolving, so you have a MUCH higher ratio of "problems" to "positives" than you would see in the real world.

I sell to a rental fleet in Canada. They run about 300 Sunseekers and 95% of those are slide models. I think we had 4 warranty claims last year on slides...and these things are getting 60,000 miles in 3 years.