Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Leaks in the basement storage compartments

Anyone else getting water in the storage compartments when it rains? I'm thinking the gaskets aren't sealing well enough when the doors are shut.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

Condensation?

I have a storage compartment that sometimes gets water in it. I tested it from all angles and couldn't get it to leak. Came to the conclusion it was only condensation.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

Need a bit more info on your storage doors. Are your doors flip up (i.e.- hinged at the top)? Also, do they have the "slam lock" latches (drop the door from a few inches and it latches)?
If these are the doors/latches you have on your RV, you need to use a good silicone and seal the screws and under the portion of the latch that's mounted to the door frame. Also, if the gasket around the door frame has a gasket that's installed so that the gasket ends come together on the bottom of the door frame, you'll need to seal that joint also. If your doors/hinges are a different configuration then this solution, it may or may not, still be appropriate.
Good luck!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Solera, the compartment behind the rear wheel on the driver's side is open to the outside - exposes the rear slideout gear rack. I treat as a "dirty stuff" compartment.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

I've had up to an inch of water, so I think it's beyond condensation. My locks are the"slam" type so I can try that. My latest attempt was to add a strip of stick-on weather stripping all around the door to go just inside the gasket that was already installed on the frame. I first tried to put it where it would hit the gasket, doubling the thickness and figuring that would make a tighter seal, but then I couldn't close the door! We'll see what happens next time it rains. We're in Cape Breton at the moment, expecting cold and rain, but have been lucky with a nice stretch of 70° sunny days, so no chance to test the hopefully improved seals (not that I'm complaining).
Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 AM   #6

One of mine leaked which it seems I've resolved by sealing the gap in the gasket with silicone. Been dry ever since.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Almost all my doors have a 1/2" gap in the gasket right in the middle of the bottom edge. Is that what you mean? And why would they have done that?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

My old Solera had a couple of compartments that got water in them. So I drilled some drain holes. Problem solved.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post
Almost all my doors have a 1/2" gap in the gasket right in the middle of the bottom edge. Is that what you mean? And why would they have done that?
Precisely! I sealed that up with silicone and my compartments have been dry. I hope the same result happens for you. Can't explain why it's that way...

Cheers
Old 09-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post

Exactly the gap I'm talking about. A lot of water can enter any gap much less one that's 1/2" wide. Seal it, and the base plate/base plate screws with a good silicone and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result.
Why do they do that? Best answer I can give is to ask them!!! I don't have a clue why some of their poor engineering and poor workmanship gets to the customer. As they say--it is what it is!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

Our Sunseeker 2300 has a shallow compartment behind the generator, and it has gotten water in it several times, from driving in the rain. I finally tracked it down to an unsealed hole for some of the generator wiring.

Tags
leak, storage