Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Leaving heat on in coach ?

Coach is winterized and closed up for winter. Wondering what benefit if any in leaving a space heater on during periods of below freezing temperatures. Any thoughts?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Also should the motorhome be started and left running every once in awhile during winter?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
Also should the motorhome be started and left running every once in awhile during winter?
It would not hurt it any, just run it to normal operating temperature for a few minutes.

Quote:
Coach is winterized and closed up for winter. Wondering what benefit if any in leaving a space heater on during periods of below freezing temperatures. Any thoughts?
IMHO the only one to "benefit" would be the power Co.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

Quote:
I start mine about once a month and let it run until it comes to operating temperature.

Also start the generator and let it run with a load on it for 20 minutes or so. I run the heat pump for the load on the generator.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

I leave a small space heater on in mine to keep the moisture down in the coach since we use our RV on/off throughout the year.

Frank
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Buy a small space heater and set the temp to a setting that kicks on at lower temperatures. Buy a remote thermometer device like this http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weathe...te+thermometer transmits by my expierence, about 50 ft. Unabstructed view by setting transmitter on dash. Experiment on placement a little. Thats assuming its close to home. Then, play with the space heater control to get it to 40 degrees or so. Worked great for me.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Seeing that it is winterized- I don't see much of a need for running a heater. It won't hurt anything, but the motorhome itself doesn't need the heat.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Well, here is what a little heat will do for you. Really cold air is dry air, you might notice some movement in solid wood surfaces, like stiles and rails in raised cabinet doors, you might prevent that accidental residual water collecting some where in your supply lines, that didn't get blown out for some reason, from doing a hard expansion freeze, some large temperature flucuations upon the perverbial thaws, that occur occastionally in the colder climates, bringing moisture issues to items such as cold metal surfaces present in most RV, TT's from condensation issues. So I think that let each individual assess the situation, weigh the pros and cons, and make their decision. IMHO.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #9

IMHO the biggest benefit to running a heater is to prevent condensation during the temperature variations of winter especially if the RV is outside. I don't use a heater because I store in a tight and dry garage.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

Thought for condensations issues I would leave a little heat on. Live in Arkansas so cold is not much of an issue most of the time but we do have short periods of freezing temps. MH is covered with one of those carport covers that helps but it is still exposed to the cold. Hadn't even thought about the generator thanks for the tip. Thanks all for the help.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #11

We just winterize and I run down once a month and run the coach and generator during the off season.

We use damp rid for the moisture issues. Works very well!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

Tks MikeRP. Tell me what this damp rid is and how to use it.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
ETF

I live in East Texas so bad freezes aren't usually a problem although we do get freezing temps for a few days at a stretch. I didn't winterize mine. I drained everything and put an oil filled radiator in there on a low setting. I also opened the bathroom door and all the drawers and cupboards that I could. It keeps the chill off.

Also, before I bring it home after a trip I fill the gas tank and add Stab-il. I'm not a fanatic about it but I start and run the engine about once a month and run the generator with a load on it. If I'm in the mood I also put it in gear and roll it backwards and forwards about 10' or 15'. I don't really have a good reason for doing it but I've the clutch plates stick on farm equipment if they sit for a long time.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #14

We don't keep a heater running, but we do go out at least once a month to do a quick "critter check"

also...Sometimes we will run the furnace and bring the rig up to temperature, but I don't have a good reason to do this other them maybe we just like being in there.

For moisture, this year we started using Damp Rid Moisture Absorbing bags. Maybe we'll see in the spring if we did any good!
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
We just winterize and I run down once a month and run the coach and generator during the off season.

We use damp rid for the moisture issues. Works very well!

x2