Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #1

Led light bar for E 450

Who has installed an LED light bar in lower grill of your E450 chassis
Looking for easy fit and good quality light
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Great for some back roads at night. But they are not DOT approved for road use. They blind oncoming traffic.
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #3

I was blinded by a work van that came at me last night with an incredibly obnoxious LED light bar. I couldn't believe how inconsiderate they were of other drivers.

Are any of these LED light bars DOT approved?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 AM   #4

Sorry but i am only asking for advice from those that have installed a light bar. I am not trying to create a debate on legality of them
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

I’m not concerned about the “debate” but very interested in real life experiences upgrading the 450 lighting. As it is now it is totally inadequate. But, it is a 1965 vintage Ford product.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I’m not concerned about the “debate” but very interested in real life experiences upgrading the 450 lighting. As it is now it is totally inadequate. But, it is a 1965 vintage Ford product.
On our last E-450 I replaced the stock bulbs with Sylvania H13 SilverStar Ultras and that was a huge improvement. See Here. A fairly simple, cheap and legal way to improve the lighting.

That swap will bring your lighting up from 1965 to at least 1990 vintage...
Old 12-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

There are many choices for LED "driving" and "fog" lights. Both designs are DOT approved and can do wonders for "reach" without dazzling oncoming drivers. One needn't invest in Hella and other premium brands. If you want 'really good' quality, CREE LEDS in the fixture are typically a good indicator of quality and performance. These add-ons do wonders for picking out deer grazing along the road and improving visibility in foul weather. As with the old halogen systems, the design of the reflector (and sometimes the lens) dictates the reach, spread, and upper cut-off to keep them legal for highway use...assuming they are aimed properly.

As for the "off road" light bars, they, too, can be a worthwhile investment for off-road work...especially if you like to boondock and must drive long distances on unpaved roads or through the bush. Best location for these is in the roof because they have better reach and spread when mounted high. These have little or no control over the light. Instead, multiple LEDs project an essentially "round" cone of light (like a flashlight), with as many as 40 to 60 LEDs just blasting out light indiscriminately.

Finally, if they are plastic, you may need to polish the lenses on your primary headlamp fixtures. If your rig goes back to the days of "sealed beams", just refresh them, preferably with halogen replacements. But if you have yellowed, cloudy plastic lenses, clean them up with a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Head...95993833&psc=1
If the interior of the fixture is dirty, and if you can open it to clean it, do that. A filthy reflector and dirt on the inside of the lens will substantially reduce light output.
Then replace the old bulbs with new. As the bulbs age, performance declines. Forget the "blue" bulbs. Just use top-notch replacement bulbs.

Bear in mind that as your TV squats in the rear under load, all lights point skyward. If you can't level out the squat, and if you tow often, then you must aim all lights when loaded. This is an important courtesy to other drivers, but it also substantially improves your view. High beams don't help much if they're pointed at the sky. Unloaded, your lights will aim too low, but you can use a set of fog lights and driving lights ONLY when unloaded...aimed to fill in the gaps when unloaded. But don't use them when loaded or they'll be aiming at the sky and blind oncoming drivers.

Be sure your alternator can handle all this extra load. LEDs sip power lightly, but if you put 120 watts or more of extra lighting on the front bumper, your ancient, low-spec alternator might not be up to the task of providing continuous output adequate to support all the loads.

Good luck.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

I did NOT. But saw this before on You Tube. search for (
Von Scheller Family Experience) "RV Jayco Greyhawk LED Bar install Bumper Ford E450" May 22, 2018 (he mounted in the long hole of bumper above Lic. plate)

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

I know where to mount it. But there are many different brands etc. i know that water and moisture is an issue so I wanted to see if anyone had a good or bad experience with any particular brand/model thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #10

I want to do this also
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #11

Change your headlight bulbs to Cree LED replacements. You may not need the light bar.
For the 1965 Ford get replacement bulb housing that use the replaceable bulbs, then get the Cree LED to fit.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
I did NOT. But saw this before on You Tube. search for (
Von Scheller Family Experience) "RV Jayco Greyhawk LED Bar install Bumper Ford E450" May 22, 2018 (he mounted in the long hole of bumper above Lic. plate)
Curious how much that setup affects cooling air since it appears to completely block the air inlet.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

Costco sells one that is hooked to the battery and is run of your phone
Very simple set up
Bezzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
Change your headlight bulbs to Cree LED replacements. You may not need the light bar.
For the 1965 Ford get replacement bulb housing that use the replaceable bulbs, then get the Cree LED to fit.

Frank
I have read that LED bulbs in non-LED housings don't focus the light well and blind oncoming drivers. I occasionally see cars and trucks where I believe this is the case. The lights are obviously LED but the housings look like they were made for the old fashioned bulbs. I think it would be best to put some proper LED driving lights on and use the better Sylvania bulbs for the headlights.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I have read that LED bulbs in non-LED housings don't focus the light well and blind oncoming drivers. I occasionally see cars and trucks where I believe this is the case. The lights are obviously LED but the housings look like they were made for the old fashioned bulbs. I think it would be best to put some proper LED driving lights on and use the better Sylvania bulbs for the headlights.
I switched from the best Sylvania bulb to LED in the wife's truck, a Suzuki Equator, and my Jeep Liberty. The LEDs are much better and no oncoming traffic has shown any problems with blinding or glare. It could be that those you have identified do not use DOT approved bulbs.

Frank
Old 12-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
I switched from the best Sylvania bulb to LED in the wife's truck, a Suzuki Equator, and my Jeep Liberty. The LEDs are much better and no oncoming traffic has shown any problems with blinding or glare. It could be that those you have identified do not use DOT approved bulbs.

Frank

How would you know the oncoming traffic had no problems with blinding or glare?
Old 12-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
How would you know the oncoming traffic had no problems with blinding or glare? Simply because they didn't run off the road or run into you?
No one has ever flashed there lights at me. I have used LEDs for over 2 years now. If they are as bad you seem to think, SOMEONE would have given some sign that they were bothering them.

Frank
Old 12-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #18

Quote:
No one has ever flashed there lights at me. I have used LEDs for over 2 years now. If they are as bad you seem to think, SOMEONE would have given some sign that they were bothering them.

Frank
It would be great if I can get replacement bulbs because my Honda CR-V is terrible. Especially after putting LED lights on my Jeep Wrangler. But those are full replacement lights, not drop-in bulbs. They have a nice cutoff that you can see when you shine the lights on the garage door.

Do your replacement lights look like the attached photo?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep_Headlightsjpg.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	220763  
Old 12-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
It would be great if I can get replacement bulbs because my Honda CR-V is terrible. Especially after putting LED lights on my Jeep Wrangler. But those are full replacement lights, not drop-in bulbs. They have a nice cutoff that you can see when you shine the lights on the garage door.

Do your replacement lights look like the attached photo?

Thanks.
Yes 100% cut off in a line just like yours. That could be a photo of the Jeep or the Zuki.

Frank
Old 12-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes 100% cut off in a line just like yours. That could be a photo of the Jeep or the Zuki.

Frank
Awesome. I have wanted to get LED bulbs for the Honda but didn't think I could. Will definitely check into it now. Since putting LEDs in my Jeep I feel like I don't even have lights on the Honda.

Tags
led, light