Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc

Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
We have the same rig as yours and we do all of the above, except I made a motorcycle rack for the back when I do not want to take the toad.

Toadless is nice and easy sometimes.
I am now eyeballing a smaller motorcycle for the back- a TW 200 Yamaha or a new Z125 Kawasaki to make it even easier.
Then we have a grocery getter with us that can stay on the rig or we can rollit off pretty easily.

Nice job on the mount. I've considered that route but still thinking the small enclosed bike trailer would be handy to carry additional stuff also. I sold my Harley Electra Glide when we moved from Ky. to FL. last year, but there are a lot of choices for a nice small bike for a toad.
Any of them would work fine for a run to the store, but what if there's a museum, concert, etc. you'd like to go see. My wife also has a motorcycle license, but to make her happy I would probably be better off with a car sometimes, even a rental. I suppose using a small bike for a toad and renting a car only when necessary is an option.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This is the reason I have a TT and a truck. We park the TT and go see whatever's out there.

I don't understand how folks can have a motorhome and no toad.
I had a trailer once, a toy hauler, that's why I now have an RV. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I enjoy an extra motor and wheels. Kinda like a spare. Everyone carries spares.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Reading the posts on here, I found there are a lot of RV's that don't carry a spare, especially the large class A owners.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Pondering same question. Western trip for 3+ weeks coming up. Kinda want our toad but leaning toward leaving it home. Our camper is 27'.

So far we have only brought the toad if we plan to camp somewhere for a week. Our western trip will likely be 2-3 days max at any site.

Forester 2451s
That sounds a lot like the trip we're planning, I don't see any long stays at any one place. I still haven't decided to toad or not, but all the suggestions are helping narrow it down. Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc
Thanks for the advice, I will research some rental car companies to see what kind of delivery or pickup options they have, and locations.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Site Team

It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Sorry I left a little out of my reply. The DW does loves riding two up when I had the large Harley, I don't think she would on a smaller bike. The rain could definitely throw a wrench in the works also.
I'm picking up something from all the posts. I thinks there may be a difference between a camping trip and traveling. I love camping, but looking at this trip as a chance to see the U.S.A. more than just a camping trip. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #20

toad

I have the same Forester that you do and for the last 15 months we have been renting cars from Enterprise because in most areas where they are located they pick you up and bring you back to the campsite. As far as traveling around with the RV, after leveling hooking up the black tank fresh water elec. cable that's not an option for me. We just purchased a Smart for 2 and had it Blue Oxed out, and it weighing less than 2,000 lbs we haven't added an aux brake as of yet, may not we'll see how it handles. the problem with not having a toad we found was being stuck at the campground the first night and having to bring the car back early the last day.

Tags
toad