Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
That is what I do with a Suzuki 400. It is big enough to ride two-up but easy enough to load. It is kinda tall to get on though. They used to make a 650 that was lower to the ground, but has more power and more comfy for two.

We park the RV, jump on the motorcycle and see whatever's out there. Plus, we can eat meals going down the road, go to the bathroom driving down the road, cook in a rest stop in the rain without going outside, don't have more than 6 wheels to worry about and can back up real easy at tight gas stations.

I don't understand TT guys.
Obviously, you didn't read what I said closely enough. I said I didn't understand a MH and NO toad. But you're no different than TT guys or MH guys with a toad. You have a motorcycle (read "toad").

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #32
Newly Retired

The more stuff you take on the trip, the more stuff you have to care for and deal with. I would recommend going simple and light as possible.
What got me to respond was your comment on not needing a motorcycle safety class. I thought the same thing at one time. Fact is that experience will never teach what these instructors can teach you. After 5 different safety classes I can tell you that the guy who boosts his experience early in the day, is the same guy who has difficulty in the maneuvering exercises that afternoon. As a fellow long time rider I ask you to take a class sometime. If you find it disappointing, I will personally pay you for the cost of the class.
Travel light and keep the weight and clutter to a minimum.
Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #33

We have been trapped at a campground one too many times Toadless. Currently traveling west to South Dakota. Glad to have the TOAD with us. Looking forward to a rolling down the soft top and having a Jeep ride through the black hills and needles highway. I lost 1.5 MPG on the Berkshire towing. To me well worth the cost.

One of the reasons we got into camping is to see some sites with the kids and get away from the Airport scene hurry up and wait effect. Would not want to hang around waiting for a rental car losing valuable vacation time.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #34

Toad, for us. We flat tow a Jeep Wrangler behind the Georgetown XL 378, and did the same with previous class A's we owned.
I like having the Jeep we can go anywhere, take the top off and enjoy the outdoors.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I have the same Forester that you do and for the last 15 months we have been renting cars from Enterprise because in most areas where they are located they pick you up and bring you back to the campsite. As far as traveling around with the RV, after leveling hooking up the black tank fresh water elec. cable that's not an option for me. We just purchased a Smart for 2 and had it Blue Oxed out, and it weighing less than 2,000 lbs we haven't added an aux brake as of yet, may not we'll see how it handles. the problem with not having a toad we found was being stuck at the campground the first night and having to bring the car back early the last day.
Excellent points, Several folks have recommended Enterprise rentals. Sounds like a good option for us. When we meet up eventually with my son's family, he has a large 5th wheel and so will have his truck available.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauderer View Post
If you like to ride your motorcycle and you like to take that. Get your groceries and supplies with the bike. I can remember how many times i used the bike to get supplies. I had sure that everything was double bagged and hung them all over the bike. Go have fun and do it your way.

I rode for 58 yrs until my cloud moved. Enjoy!!
Thanks for the feedback. I understand exactly where you're coming from, having a couple friends that have given up riding because of age related reasons. it's a tough thing to do, but at least you spent a lot of years flying with the birds instead of sitting on the fence watching them fly by.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Buy a motorcycle RACK for your hitch and just carry it with you. With a top case and saddle backs etc. you can carry a lot of groceries. We do a pair of 150cc scooters on our hitch rack....around 600lbs...and it worked great X-Country so 1 cycle with good power should take you where you need to go.
We DO rent an occasional car when we need to...but mostly that is a pain.

Swivel wheel rack would be another option if the bike is really heavy.
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
Thanks, I bet with the Georgetown you don't see any difference in mileage.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
The more stuff you take on the trip, the more stuff you have to care for and deal with. I would recommend going simple and light as possible.
What got me to respond was your comment on not needing a motorcycle safety class. I thought the same thing at one time. Fact is that experience will never teach what these instructors can teach you. After 5 different safety classes I can tell you that the guy who boosts his experience early in the day, is the same guy who has difficulty in the maneuvering exercises that afternoon. As a fellow long time rider I ask you to take a class sometime. If you find it disappointing, I will personally pay you for the cost of the class.
Travel light and keep the weight and clutter to a minimum.
Enjoy your trip.
Please read my post again, no where in it did I say I didn't need a motorcycle safety course. I said I didn't want any advice on motorcycle safety from this forum. It's too easy to want info on toads and end up getting into a long thread on motorcycles.
You make assumptions about someone you know nothing about, but I'll help you out. I believe in recurrent training. I recommend the Harley Davidson beginner and Advanced courses as well as the MSF courses. To stay on top of you game, find a good parking lot school etc. and get you hands on the Ride Like a Pro Videos. You can get them at https://www.ridelikeapro.com/ See I'm assuming you've never heard of any of these courses. My wife also has her license, but I wouldn't let her even take the test until she had mastered the Ride like a pro video and taken a safety course at the local state vocational school. I also am a licensed private pilot, that also requires recurrent training, but I didn't bring it up in the original post because it has nothing to do with RVs and toads. Thanks for the advice on traveling light. I'm trying to plan the trip that way, and with a 23 foot Class C, I can't carry much anyway.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #39

Hi Kyfan,
We have tried the rental car option a couple of times and we find: 1) there is NEVER a rental place close and Enterprise doesn't service every area.
2) those "$20.00 for the weekend" deals never seem to be real! They either don't have the car that's offered in the promotion, or the promotion is only at airport rental counters.
So we end up just hooking up the Toad and dealing with it.
I envy your Motorcycle ability and your wife's too. I thought about taking one of those courses once, but they said I had to supply my own bike. That left asking my brother if I could borrow his.Once he could breathe again afer laughing so hard at my request, he offered me a big fat "NO". So, there ended my motorcycle adventure!
Good Luck and keep us posted if you come up with good solution to your question.

To Total Loss: I love your word: "Toadless"! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it!
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Hi Kyfan,
We have tried the rental car option a couple of times and we find: 1) there is NEVER a rental place close and Enterprise doesn't service every area.
2) those "$20.00 for the weekend" deals never seem to be real! They either don't have the car that's offered in the promotion, or the promotion is only at airport rental counters.
So we end up just hooking up the Toad and dealing with it.
I envy your Motorcycle ability and your wife's too. I thought about taking one of those courses once, but they said I had to supply my own bike. That left asking my brother if I could borrow his.Once he could breathe again afer laughing so hard at my request, he offered me a big fat "NO". So, there ended my motorcycle adventure!
Good Luck and keep us posted if you come up with good solution to your question.

To Total Loss: I love your word: "Toadless"! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it!
Thanks for the kind reply. I'm a little concerned that your experience with rental cars may be the norm. It would be a pain to have something planned and need the rental and not be able to get one. A compromise for me may be to take a motorcycle just in case the rental car is unavailable. I will decide for sure soon and after we are gone I'll post updates on the trip. Thanks again

Tags
toad