Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Let's beat that poor dead horse again, Toad or No Toad?

We are leaving in a couple weeks for a first time long extended trip west to visit my son and see the parks and sites on the way. I'm trying to decide to take a toad or not. The 2251SLe is small enough to get around in, but we may take some lengthy side trips while camping.
I have the options of no toad, small car toad, enclosed trailer with motorcycle, or car rental. Please no motorcycle safety lessons needed, I know the risks and rewards. after riding for around 50 years now.
The motorcycle isn't the best for getting supplies and I'm not sure how the car rental works if you are parked in a somewhat rural campground. If I have to drive 25 miles to get a rental car and return it, I may as well drive the RV around. Any suggestions or ideas of what has worked for you more experienced travelers would be very helpful.
Thanks
__________________

Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
LittlePM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In the Heart of Dixie
Posts: 1,989
I'm a toad kind of person, I would hate to pack up every time I wanted to go some place, especially if you are staying at the same camp ground for more then a night or two, I like having my car.
__________________

__________________
Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
Hosted BamaGanza 2017 & 2018
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2013 Honda CR-V AWD Toad
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86, 2018 85

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,174
I've been in some tight little campgrounds and I wouldn't enjoy having to park it in my camping spot each time I took it out. Especially if I'd be arriving back after dark.

I have a truck/fifth wheel, so my opinion may carry less value- but there's no chance I'd go without a toad.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,289
We travel and rarely stay in one site more than two nights. We stop at stores with the Solera and buy what we need before getting to our campsite. On the occasion that we have camped for several days, we reserved a rental and picked it up on our way to the campground, dropped it off when we left. In general, other than some "four wheel drive high ground clearance only" areas we have been able to explore where we want with the Solera. Occasionally would have enjoyed a Jeep but rare, and not worth the hastle and expense of "toading" for us. Most such places have Jeep tours or rentals available.
A larger Motorhome might be more of an issue - some areas we have explored have 25 foot maximum length advisories.
Our experience- yours might differ!
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 659
We have the same rig as yours and we do all of the above, except I made a motorcycle rack for the back when I do not want to take the toad.

Toadless is nice and easy sometimes.
I am now eyeballing a smaller motorcycle for the back- a TW 200 Yamaha or a new Z125 Kawasaki to make it even easier.
Then we have a grocery getter with us that can stay on the rig or we can rollit off pretty easily.

__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,297
I enjoy an extra motor and wheels. Kinda like a spare. Everyone carries spares.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2014 Sunseeker 3170 DSF
Dorothy, Garrette and Miss Bella.
Retired and having fun.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,227
This is the reason I have a TT and a truck. We park the TT and go see whatever's out there.

I don't understand how folks can have a motorhome and no toad.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 680
Pondering same question. Western trip for 3+ weeks coming up. Kinda want our toad but leaning toward leaving it home. Our camper is 27'.

So far we have only brought the toad if we plan to camp somewhere for a week. Our western trip will likely be 2-3 days max at any site.


Forester 2451s
__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I'm a toad kind of person, I would hate to pack up every time I wanted to go some place, especially if you are staying at the same camp ground for more then a night or two, I like having my car.
If I was driving that beautiful beast you have, I'd bring a toad also, but we have an RV that will just about fit in a Walmart parking spot. It's the convenience and cost, versus the gain of having a toad that I'm weighing.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
We travel and rarely stay in one site more than two nights. We stop at stores with the Solera and buy what we need before getting to our campsite. On the occasion that we have camped for several days, we reserved a rental and picked it up on our way to the campground, dropped it off when we left. In general, other than some "four wheel drive high ground clearance only" areas we have been able to explore where we want with the Solera. Occasionally would have enjoyed a Jeep but rare, and not worth the hastle and expense of "toading" for us. Most such places have Jeep tours or rentals available.
A larger Motorhome might be more of an issue - some areas we have explored have 25 foot maximum length advisories.
Our experience- yours might differ!
Thanks for the advise, We're more the take off driving and see where we end of kind of travelers. I'd have to plan ahead to reserve a rental car and try to get to the next stop at a preset time. The rental may work for us if I don't have to give but a few hours notice to line one up.
Another problem for me is my DW ( love her to death), but I believe she could get lost in a rental car even following me in the RV if I had to make more than one turn, or traffic light-)
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 222
A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
We have the same rig as yours and we do all of the above, except I made a motorcycle rack for the back when I do not want to take the toad.

Toadless is nice and easy sometimes.
I am now eyeballing a smaller motorcycle for the back- a TW 200 Yamaha or a new Z125 Kawasaki to make it even easier.
Then we have a grocery getter with us that can stay on the rig or we can rollit off pretty easily.

Nice job on the mount. I've considered that route but still thinking the small enclosed bike trailer would be handy to carry additional stuff also. I sold my Harley Electra Glide when we moved from Ky. to FL. last year, but there are a lot of choices for a nice small bike for a toad.
Any of them would work fine for a run to the store, but what if there's a museum, concert, etc. you'd like to go see. My wife also has a motorcycle license, but to make her happy I would probably be better off with a car sometimes, even a rental. I suppose using a small bike for a toad and renting a car only when necessary is an option.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This is the reason I have a TT and a truck. We park the TT and go see whatever's out there.

I don't understand how folks can have a motorhome and no toad.
I had a trailer once, a toy hauler, that's why I now have an RV. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I enjoy an extra motor and wheels. Kinda like a spare. Everyone carries spares.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Reading the posts on here, I found there are a lot of RV's that don't carry a spare, especially the large class A owners.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Pondering same question. Western trip for 3+ weeks coming up. Kinda want our toad but leaning toward leaving it home. Our camper is 27'.

So far we have only brought the toad if we plan to camp somewhere for a week. Our western trip will likely be 2-3 days max at any site.


Forester 2451s
That sounds a lot like the trip we're planning, I don't see any long stays at any one place. I still haven't decided to toad or not, but all the suggestions are helping narrow it down. Thanks
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #16
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc
Thanks for the advice, I will research some rental car companies to see what kind of delivery or pickup options they have, and locations.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,063
It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #19
Member
 
Kyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Sorry I left a little out of my reply. The DW does loves riding two up when I had the large Harley, I don't think she would on a smaller bike. The rain could definitely throw a wrench in the works also.
I'm picking up something from all the posts. I thinks there may be a difference between a camping trip and traveling. I love camping, but looking at this trip as a chance to see the U.S.A. more than just a camping trip. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 494
toad

I have the same Forester that you do and for the last 15 months we have been renting cars from Enterprise because in most areas where they are located they pick you up and bring you back to the campsite. As far as traveling around with the RV, after leveling hooking up the black tank fresh water elec. cable that's not an option for me. We just purchased a Smart for 2 and had it Blue Oxed out, and it weighing less than 2,000 lbs we haven't added an aux brake as of yet, may not we'll see how it handles. the problem with not having a toad we found was being stuck at the campground the first night and having to bring the car back early the last day.
__________________

poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


×