Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Let's beat that poor dead horse again, Toad or No Toad?

We are leaving in a couple weeks for a first time long extended trip west to visit my son and see the parks and sites on the way. I'm trying to decide to take a toad or not. The 2251SLe is small enough to get around in, but we may take some lengthy side trips while camping.
I have the options of no toad, small car toad, enclosed trailer with motorcycle, or car rental. Please no motorcycle safety lessons needed, I know the risks and rewards. after riding for around 50 years now.
The motorcycle isn't the best for getting supplies and I'm not sure how the car rental works if you are parked in a somewhat rural campground. If I have to drive 25 miles to get a rental car and return it, I may as well drive the RV around. Any suggestions or ideas of what has worked for you more experienced travelers would be very helpful.
Thanks
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

I'm a toad kind of person, I would hate to pack up every time I wanted to go some place, especially if you are staying at the same camp ground for more then a night or two, I like having my car.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Always Learning

I've been in some tight little campgrounds and I wouldn't enjoy having to park it in my camping spot each time I took it out. Especially if I'd be arriving back after dark.

I have a truck/fifth wheel, so my opinion may carry less value- but there's no chance I'd go without a toad.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
2012 Solera

We travel and rarely stay in one site more than two nights. We stop at stores with the Solera and buy what we need before getting to our campsite. On the occasion that we have camped for several days, we reserved a rental and picked it up on our way to the campground, dropped it off when we left. In general, other than some "four wheel drive high ground clearance only" areas we have been able to explore where we want with the Solera. Occasionally would have enjoyed a Jeep but rare, and not worth the hastle and expense of "toading" for us. Most such places have Jeep tours or rentals available.
A larger Motorhome might be more of an issue - some areas we have explored have 25 foot maximum length advisories.
Our experience- yours might differ!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

We have the same rig as yours and we do all of the above, except I made a motorcycle rack for the back when I do not want to take the toad.

Toadless is nice and easy sometimes.
I am now eyeballing a smaller motorcycle for the back- a TW 200 Yamaha or a new Z125 Kawasaki to make it even easier.
Then we have a grocery getter with us that can stay on the rig or we can rollit off pretty easily.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

I enjoy an extra motor and wheels. Kinda like a spare. Everyone carries spares.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

This is the reason I have a TT and a truck. We park the TT and go see whatever's out there.

I don't understand how folks can have a motorhome and no toad.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

Pondering same question. Western trip for 3+ weeks coming up. Kinda want our toad but leaning toward leaving it home. Our camper is 27'.

So far we have only brought the toad if we plan to camp somewhere for a week. Our western trip will likely be 2-3 days max at any site.

Forester 2451s
Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I'm a toad kind of person, I would hate to pack up every time I wanted to go some place, especially if you are staying at the same camp ground for more then a night or two, I like having my car.
If I was driving that beautiful beast you have, I'd bring a toad also, but we have an RV that will just about fit in a Walmart parking spot. It's the convenience and cost, versus the gain of having a toad that I'm weighing.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
We travel and rarely stay in one site more than two nights. We stop at stores with the Solera and buy what we need before getting to our campsite. On the occasion that we have camped for several days, we reserved a rental and picked it up on our way to the campground, dropped it off when we left. In general, other than some "four wheel drive high ground clearance only" areas we have been able to explore where we want with the Solera. Occasionally would have enjoyed a Jeep but rare, and not worth the hastle and expense of "toading" for us. Most such places have Jeep tours or rentals available.
A larger Motorhome might be more of an issue - some areas we have explored have 25 foot maximum length advisories.
Our experience- yours might differ!
Thanks for the advise, We're more the take off driving and see where we end of kind of travelers. I'd have to plan ahead to reserve a rental car and try to get to the next stop at a preset time. The rental may work for us if I don't have to give but a few hours notice to line one up.
Another problem for me is my DW ( love her to death), but I believe she could get lost in a rental car even following me in the RV if I had to make more than one turn, or traffic light-)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
We have the same rig as yours and we do all of the above, except I made a motorcycle rack for the back when I do not want to take the toad.

Toadless is nice and easy sometimes.
I am now eyeballing a smaller motorcycle for the back- a TW 200 Yamaha or a new Z125 Kawasaki to make it even easier.
Then we have a grocery getter with us that can stay on the rig or we can rollit off pretty easily.

Nice job on the mount. I've considered that route but still thinking the small enclosed bike trailer would be handy to carry additional stuff also. I sold my Harley Electra Glide when we moved from Ky. to FL. last year, but there are a lot of choices for a nice small bike for a toad.
Any of them would work fine for a run to the store, but what if there's a museum, concert, etc. you'd like to go see. My wife also has a motorcycle license, but to make her happy I would probably be better off with a car sometimes, even a rental. I suppose using a small bike for a toad and renting a car only when necessary is an option.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This is the reason I have a TT and a truck. We park the TT and go see whatever's out there.

I don't understand how folks can have a motorhome and no toad.
I had a trailer once, a toy hauler, that's why I now have an RV. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I enjoy an extra motor and wheels. Kinda like a spare. Everyone carries spares.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Reading the posts on here, I found there are a lot of RV's that don't carry a spare, especially the large class A owners.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Pondering same question. Western trip for 3+ weeks coming up. Kinda want our toad but leaning toward leaving it home. Our camper is 27'.

So far we have only brought the toad if we plan to camp somewhere for a week. Our western trip will likely be 2-3 days max at any site.

Forester 2451s
That sounds a lot like the trip we're planning, I don't see any long stays at any one place. I still haven't decided to toad or not, but all the suggestions are helping narrow it down. Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
A rental car gives you the ability to get there quicker with out dragging the toad.
Take up Enterprise on their claim to deliver their car to you. They could even have it at the campsite office before you get there.
Drive in, check in and get the keys to your delivered "toad". How sweet is that?
RMc
Thanks for the advice, I will research some rental car companies to see what kind of delivery or pickup options they have, and locations.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It seems like dragging the toad would be cheaper than the rental car. The bike would work for short excursions if DW likes to ride with you but also think about getting around in the rain. Can you get a small car trailer to put both the car and bike on?
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Having never used a car toad before, I'm not sure of the cost difference between towing and renting a car. Right now I get about 10 mpg. If toad cut that down to 6 to 7 mpg, (just guessing) and If I only rented for a few days vs. hauling toad everyday traveling, renting could be less expensive, but I won't know for sure until I hit the road. Very interesting.
Thanks
Sorry I left a little out of my reply. The DW does loves riding two up when I had the large Harley, I don't think she would on a smaller bike. The rain could definitely throw a wrench in the works also.
I'm picking up something from all the posts. I thinks there may be a difference between a camping trip and traveling. I love camping, but looking at this trip as a chance to see the U.S.A. more than just a camping trip. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #20

toad

I have the same Forester that you do and for the last 15 months we have been renting cars from Enterprise because in most areas where they are located they pick you up and bring you back to the campsite. As far as traveling around with the RV, after leveling hooking up the black tank fresh water elec. cable that's not an option for me. We just purchased a Smart for 2 and had it Blue Oxed out, and it weighing less than 2,000 lbs we haven't added an aux brake as of yet, may not we'll see how it handles. the problem with not having a toad we found was being stuck at the campground the first night and having to bring the car back early the last day.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad