Old 08-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Leveling 22' Class C Frustration

Hi everyone! I have been here a few months, and enjoy reading the threads and learning. I would love to read comments on how people deal with not having auto levelers on their motorhome. When we were ordering ours from the model at the RV show I asked about levelers, and the SA told me they don't come on a MH this small. We bought a set of the lego looking orange stacking block levelers at Wall art, but when we used them parked on our relatives' driveway on our trip this summer, it never got leveled. At nearly every campground en route to NY from CA and back
the rig was unlevel, with the rear usually being higher. The poor refrig. was never level. This is a problem. What can I do?

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Find a parking lot that's level and see if your coach is level. If you have air bags, you might start there, get the coach level in a level parking lot..

I had a 21 ft Dolphin (the Toyhouse), I put the self sticky bubble levels on the drivers door pillar and the instrument panel where I could see them.

I could usually jockey the MH back and forth and find a position that was reasonably level without resorting to the legos.

I do the same with my 30 ft Mirada, jockey back and forth and watch the small bubble levels. If I get it withing 1/2 bubble, thats good for me (and the frig). I carry blocks of wood but have never had to use them.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

Leveling 22' Class C Frustration

Good advice, I will try that on a parking lot. I may be able to get it right on the street far enough from the curb. What are air bags, aside from the ones that save you in an accident!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

suspension air bags, They mount on the springs. used to soften the ride and increase load.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

My only real complaint on the design of my 2251.
Doesn't sit level on flat surface.
I always have to use 2 or even 3 levels of Lynx levelors on the front.
The only solution would be to get lift springs for the front suspension (If they make them) and realign. Then you are changing the front geometry.

I will live with leveling for now.

I keep a bubble level in the dash compartment.
When I stop- I throw it on the floor behind me and gauge where I am.
As with Waiter21's response- I jocky around to look for the best starting point.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

I think it just takes practice. I use the orange levelers and get it close enough every time and perfect sometimes. It doesn't have to be perfect. If it feels "good enough" to you it won't hurt the refrigerator.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

level

I have a 24' Forester. The front of a C is naturally lower in the front. I have 2 sets of 10 blocks. I never put any in the rear. Sometime you have to put one side higher than the other. Doesn't have to be perfect a little off is no big deal, just check your level bubble. I've had sites that were so steep that they were impossible to level,so I changed sites.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

Our drive has a 7" pitch front to back. We purchased a pair of heavy duty plastic car ramps that fit the bill. They are light enough to carry and you can level from 1" to 7" depending how far up the ramp you go.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #9

I stopped trying to level out the built in slope to the front. I think it is something like 1 degree. Nowhere near enough to affect the fridge. 9 out of 10 sites, we do not have to level. I will jockey around on the site if it helps find an approximately level spot. Basically if we are within 2 degrees fore-aft and left-right, we are good to go. Although we try not to be head down as far as the bed sleeping position. The built in slope to the front seems to take care of that most of the time.

I have a pair of the calibrated small levels mounted so that I can see them while I'm at the wheel. That makes it a lot easier to pick my spot.

With our trailers, I used to try to be so exact. Now, it's just liberating to not mess with it, and live with 2 degrees off.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #10

This thought just occurred to me....has any manufacturer come-up with a self leveling fridge? or a manual means to level it when parked?

I realize we want a motorhome level for other reasons but the fridge seems to be the priority. It would seem easier to me, but perhaps more expensive, to devise a means to level just it in the comfort of air conditioning.

**picking up a 2015 2300 Chevy on Friday**

Tags
class c, leveling