Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

leveling my RV

I have a Forester 2251LE. I bought the plastic block levelers, which are OK, but I was wondering, short of investing in the electric/hydraulic systems ($3-$5K) can I use any of the scissor type jacks? Most seem to be for stabilization, not leveling. I was thinking of using a pair on the rear, if possible. I do see that some are rated for up to 7500 lbs.

Thx Rich Guess
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
I have a Forester 2251LE. I bought the plastic block levelers, which are OK, but I was wondering, short of investing in the electric/hydraulic systems ($3-$5K) can I use any of the scissor type jacks? Most seem to be for stabilization, not leveling. I was thinking of using a pair on the rear, if possible. I do see that some are rated for up to 7500 lbs.

Thx Rich Guess
Don't use the "stabilization" jacks on the trailer to level. If your after a little more support I'd look into an aftermarket system. I've also seen people use those jacks that look like a regular automotive jack stand but with a T handle to raise up or down but they'd be big and bulky to carry around all the time.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

I level side to side with scrap wood under the tires. Unhook. Then level front to back with landing gear then put my stabilizers down. Free pieces of scrap wood I had laying around have never let me down. I felt no need to spend $ on fancy plastic leggos.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
Don't use the "stabilization" jacks on the trailer to level. If your after a little more support I'd look into an aftermarket system. I've also seen people use those jacks that look like a regular automotive jack stand but with a T handle to raise up or down but they'd be big and bulky to carry around all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I level side to side with scrap wood under the tires. Unhook. Then level front to back with landing gear then put my stabilizers down. Free pieces of scrap wood I had laying around have never let me down. I felt no need to spend $ on fancy plastic leggos.
Bear in mind that the Forester 2251LE is a class C motorhome.

(Though, I still don't think I'd use scissor jacks to lift for level.)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Wait till next year...

I have Big Foot hydraulic levelers on my Sunseeker and they are well worth the money.I also carry 4 camco ramps I have found them easier to use and cheaper than the legos.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Mr. Guess,
Even if you had a hydraulic leveling system you would still need the lego blocks to prevent a wheel(s) from becoming airborn. The scissor jacks, manual or electric, will most likely not do what you want them to do. They will however, add stability to the unit while it is up on blocks. You will also have to figure out how to mount them to the frame. Take a look at some of the sprinters that have such a setup on the rear.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Bear in mind that the Forester 2251LE is a class C motorhome.

(Though, I still don't think I'd use scissor jacks to lift for level.)

I gotta quit doing that. I always just assume TT or 5th wheel. To one sided mind I guess.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

I would not use scissor jacks. Why? The frame has been extended, and I suspect you would not want to crawl under and put the jacks on the "main" part of the frame...

Scissor jacks on your unit would not be good in the areas you can reach without getting dirty.

Me? I use a leveling app to tell me how many blocks to put where. I adjust for personal preference (like the RF to be the low point). After the legos, I drop the stabilizers (aftermarket frame rail mounted), then slide out.

With the change to helwig anti roll bars, and FSD shocks, she is as stable as one can practically get without going to full frame (on the non extended part) support, taking up all travel (such as big foot).
Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I gotta quit doing that. I always just assume TT or 5th wheel. To one sided mind I guess.
Same here lol
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #10

Thanks to all. Pretty much what I got from the suppliers too. For now it'll be leggo/Camco blocks, 2 x 10's, etc., and then get a pair of the scissor jacks for stability. I had the Helwig anti sway bar on my Chinook, it was excellent. Haven't done any mods yet on the 2251 Chevy, it's so new.

Rich
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #11

To Dp26-what leveling app are you using that tells you how many blocks to put where? I’m always playing the guessing game.
Sewgratefulquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have no experience with them, nor do I have a motorhome, but I've seen some class Cs in campgrounds using the Andersen levelers.

Though, to be fair, I haven't really paid that much attention to what the majority are using. More like when I've seen the Andersen in use, it happens to be on a Class C than specifically looking to see what Class Cs in general are using to level.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewgratefulquilts View Post
To Dp26-what leveling app are you using that tells you how many blocks to put where? I’m always playing the guessing game.

The LevelMate Pro does it. Tells you exactly how many inches to raise any given corner.

Tags
leveling