Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Lift kit for 3171 or 3170

Has anyone had their 3171 or 3170 lifted in the rear. If so, how much and where di you get it done. They sure are taildraggers. Thx, Ben

2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

have you tried putting more air in the air bags? I run mine at 60 psi and don't have any issues dragging .

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
have you tried putting more air in the air bags? I run mine at 60 psi and don't have any issues dragging .
Running 60 psi right now. How high can you go without damaging them? We have a sloping driveway at home, so when pulling into the driveway, skid protectors are dragging in the street. We also, moved heavy items to the front, but still get a little dragging. Thx.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Class C Representative

They inflate all the way to 100 PSI. As for the lift kit there are several companies that specifically do lifts on Motorhomes or you can always check out a near by Fabrication or performance shop.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Bus Driver

Ben
By lifting the rear without raising the front, you may induce abnormal wear as well as handling problems to the front suspension components.

Instead, take a look at these items HERE
Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #6

Are you just trying to raise the rear to clear your driveway or is the rear of your coach lower than the front when on level ground? The coach should be level or slightly higher in the rear when traveling. If you have 60 psi you should certainly be higher in the rear unless something is broken in the rear suspension or there is too much weight in the coach. Getting the coach weighted to determine load on each axle will tell you whats going on. Raising the rear temporarily to clear your driveway is okay but leaving it too high while traveling will negatively impact handling and front end alignment probably in both the caster and camber settings.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Deaver and ATVer, you make some good points about abnormal wear. Deaver, I went you your link and took a look at the roller. Curious to know when the coach bottoms out, if that would be too much pressure on the hitch. ATVer, when my wife brings the coach back for her overnighter test run, I will check out the level again. I couldn't go on this trip, had to work. Somebody has to make the payments. Thx guys.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #8
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Deaver, I went you your link and took a look at the roller. Curious to know when the coach bottoms out, if that would be too much pressure on the hitch. A.
I wouldn't think so as you hitch is a beefy piece of steel spanning your frame rails. That's provided you are not doing your "Dukes of Hazard Jump Impressions"
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

Ben, this is why I am installing an air bag pump with a wireless controller. In a few seconds I can increase pressure to 90+ lbs and raise the rear end to clear my driveway entrance (which is on a slope).
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

benagi,

We have the same issue and purchased the Air Lift kit 25856 to add to the Firestone air bags in our 3171DS. Air Lift had a great deal if you purchase a kit in July up to $100.00 refund. Once installed we will be able to lift and lower the MH when needed. We are also looking at adding a air tank to the system to allow us to lift the MH quickly.

~onione

Tags