Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Lift kit for 3171 or 3170

Has anyone had their 3171 or 3170 lifted in the rear. If so, how much and where di you get it done. They sure are taildraggers. Thx, Ben
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

have you tried putting more air in the air bags? I run mine at 60 psi and don't have any issues dragging .
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
have you tried putting more air in the air bags? I run mine at 60 psi and don't have any issues dragging .
Running 60 psi right now. How high can you go without damaging them? We have a sloping driveway at home, so when pulling into the driveway, skid protectors are dragging in the street. We also, moved heavy items to the front, but still get a little dragging. Thx.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Class C Representative

They inflate all the way to 100 PSI. As for the lift kit there are several companies that specifically do lifts on Motorhomes or you can always check out a near by Fabrication or performance shop.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Bus Driver

Ben
By lifting the rear without raising the front, you may induce abnormal wear as well as handling problems to the front suspension components.

Instead, take a look at these items HERE
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Are you just trying to raise the rear to clear your driveway or is the rear of your coach lower than the front when on level ground? The coach should be level or slightly higher in the rear when traveling. If you have 60 psi you should certainly be higher in the rear unless something is broken in the rear suspension or there is too much weight in the coach. Getting the coach weighted to determine load on each axle will tell you whats going on. Raising the rear temporarily to clear your driveway is okay but leaving it too high while traveling will negatively impact handling and front end alignment probably in both the caster and camber settings.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #7

Deaver and ATVer, you make some good points about abnormal wear. Deaver, I went you your link and took a look at the roller. Curious to know when the coach bottoms out, if that would be too much pressure on the hitch. ATVer, when my wife brings the coach back for her overnighter test run, I will check out the level again. I couldn't go on this trip, had to work. Somebody has to make the payments. Thx guys.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Deaver, I went you your link and took a look at the roller. Curious to know when the coach bottoms out, if that would be too much pressure on the hitch. A.
I wouldn't think so as you hitch is a beefy piece of steel spanning your frame rails. That's provided you are not doing your "Dukes of Hazard Jump Impressions"
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

Ben, this is why I am installing an air bag pump with a wireless controller. In a few seconds I can increase pressure to 90+ lbs and raise the rear end to clear my driveway entrance (which is on a slope).
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

benagi,

We have the same issue and purchased the Air Lift kit 25856 to add to the Firestone air bags in our 3171DS. Air Lift had a great deal if you purchase a kit in July up to $100.00 refund. Once installed we will be able to lift and lower the MH when needed. We are also looking at adding a air tank to the system to allow us to lift the MH quickly.

~onione
OniOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
They inflate all the way to 100 PSI. As for the lift kit there are several companies that specifically do lifts on Motorhomes or you can always check out a near by Fabrication or performance shop.
Joshua,
What is Forest River's opinion on this subject, about lift kits to raise the rear end? Are they detrimental to the alignment or handling, etc?
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

I installed firestone air bags on the rear of my 2009 Sunseeker 2860DS to raise the rear because of our dragging issue at one point in our driveway. They don't raise the rear above stock height even at 100 PSI. I called Firestone and talked to a tech who said their systems are designed to keep the chassis at stock height but not above. If you have a very heavy load on the hitch and make the springs sag, then they help to maintain stock height, but if you have a newer MH with good springs you won't see a lift in the rear. I have wheels on the hitch which do the job.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

The 3171 is the one of the longest coaches in FR Class C line and I believe it has the most "tail" behind the rear axle. This makes it hard coming off of just about any curb regardless how carefully you drive off. My coach came installed with the Firestone air bags on the rear axle. I added the Air Lift WirelessAir ( https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/72000/ ) so I can adjust the air bag pressure (and height) without leaving the drivers seat. When I had the rear bags at 80 psi or more, I occasional experienced the front suspension bottom out. I purchased Air Lift bags for my front coil springs but then wanted the same wireless feature for adjusting on the fly. Unfortunately that meant buying another WirelessAir system since the remote doesn't control two axles. A good chunk of change latter I am pleased with the setup.
So when I know I am going to be pulling into a fuel station I just bump up the bag pressures to lift the coach some to clear and then bump them back down when I get back on the road.
The other cool thing is to be able to dump the pressures from all the bags before using my hydraulic levelers since you're not supposed to lift the coach with air pressure in the bags.

It's not foolproof since some steep curbs still cause my skids at the hitch to sometimes drag. I already bought skid wheels but my skids are configured a bit different so I might have to weld the skid wheel plate on.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
Ben
By lifting the rear without raising the front, you may induce abnormal wear as well as handling problems to the front suspension components.

Instead, take a look at these items HERE
After all the comments on this subject, I decided to order the Ultra-Fab steel roller for my hitch. Will keep you posted on how well it works once installed. Thx Deaver for the link.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
After all the comments on this subject, I decided to order the Ultra-Fab steel roller for my hitch. Will keep you posted on how well it works once installed. Thx Deaver for the link.
You will get the best result for your dragging issue with the wheels. I like my airbags so I can make on the fly ( I have the on board airlift compressor system) to adjust to road conditions, but the airbags are no help for the dragging issue.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
I ordered the above roller but big problem. They don't fit the receiver hitch on the 3171. The way the steel plate that is welded to the hitch where you hook your chains when towing is at an angle and there is not enough room to slide this steel roller assembly up on the receiver hitch. You would have to grind a bit of steel out to make it fit. Didn't want to do that. Just shipped back today. You have to pay return shipping ($11.00). Lesson learned.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #17

Ben, I'm anxious to hear what you come up with. -Steve
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #18

I bought also. I'm going to try and modify mine to make it work. I also bought the wireless airlift system. Plan to install that this week if I have time.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
I bought also. I'm going to try and modify mine to make it work. I also bought the wireless airlift system. Plan to install that this week if I have time.
Papap, I was speaking with Ultra Fab today when getting my return label and I told them I was thinking of modifying their unit but decided not to. They said that was a good decision because it voids any warranty. If you are modifying the receiver hitch so it will accept the roller, then you are good to go. When your done, plz take pics, I would like to see what you did.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #20

Quote:
I ordered the above roller but big problem. They don't fit the receiver hitch on the 3171. The way the steel plate that is welded to the hitch where you hook your chains when towing is at an angle and there is not enough room to slide this steel roller assembly up on the receiver hitch. You would have to grind a bit of steel out to make it fit. Didn't want to do that. Just shipped back today. You have to pay return shipping ($11.00). Lesson learned.

Hence why I stated what I did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I already bought skid wheels but my skids are configured a bit different so I might have to weld the skid wheel plate on.
I stated "skids are different" but meaning the receiver hitch where the Ultra Fab wheel would mount. I am now considering the welded wheels on the skid bars that are also on the receiver hitch.

I just came back from a trip - nothing has bottomed out since I installed the WirelessAir system. I really think that helps. I bumped my rear bag pressure up right before entering a Flying J fuel station. I felt certain I would have dragged just a little on the entry drive curb if I hadn't bumped the pressure.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags