Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Light switches and plastic toilet

We have a 2017 Forester 3011DS. It was advertised with a porcelain toilet. It is a plastic toilet. When I contacted Forest River, they said it was probably a production change. Does anyone out there have a 3011DS with a porcelain toilet? Also there are 2 light switches in the bathroom. One controls the light in the bathroom and the other one doesn't do anything. And lastly there is a light on the driver's side outside wall. It looks like the porch light at the entrance. Does anyone know where I turn that light on?
It's not at the entrance and it's not in the bay below the light.
Thanks for you help.
smokymtncamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

In my old Class A the second switch in the head was for the potable water pump. And the outside light on the drivers side was controlled by a switch in the wet bay to provide light for night time hook ups. Oh ya welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

The new model 2017 foresters do come with a plastic toilet. They no longer come with a porcelean toilet. The second switch in the bathroom is for the little fan in the bathroom ceiling vent. There is a secondary switch on the fan itself, make sure its on and the wall switch will turn fan on and off. The light on drivers side is operated by the large switch on the coaches control panel. Look at panel and its usually lower right corner. It is a Larger switch than the other ones at top.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Thanks sgtlm17. You were right on bathroom switch and outside light switch. I have asked my salesman and emailed Forest River. No one could give me an answer. You would think I would have seen the switch on the control panel.

Thanks again.
smokymtncamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

No problem. Whatever your question is someone here usually knows or experienced same. Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great rig you will love it
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

My wife and I are about to purchase a 2017 3011ds and would like your overall opinion if you wouldn't mind? We are moving from the East Coast to the West Coast and plan on making a long rode trip out of it to show our 2yr old son the country. Thank you.
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

My unit is a 2016 2801 GTS. There are some minor changes in the 2017 Forester models. As for the Ford v10 with 6 speed. I love it. Has gobs of power and a great shifting pattern. I was impressed to say the least. I shopped for almost two years for the right class C and was torn between the Forester and Coachmen Concord.
Ended up with the Forester. This is my opinion of my Forester. Fit finish and quality excellent. Some features I think are above the rest were all glass led lights, progressive converter, fiberglass roof, framless windows, china toilet (no longer available), soft vinyl ceiling (no longer available), heat pump, big foot auto leveling system (a must have once you own one), power drivers seat, wood grain dash, MaxxAir fans, and dual recliners (another must have).
The only warranty item I have had was the drivers side view camera which FR sent me a new one. I have full body paint and there is some cracking of paint on vertical caulked seams. Nothing to be concerned with at this point but I'm keeping an eye in it. I have the garbage hole in the kitchen counter with garbage can access from outside. This is the best new addition to RV's in the last 10 years. So convienent how did we live without it.
As for systems. I have the 15k AC and it keeps the rig cool with no problem. Same with furnace very adequate and properly sized for rig. Six gallon Atwood water heater is great. I never run out of hot water, very quick recovery. The convection microwave is small but big enough for my needs. It actually works much better than I expected and am quite surprised how well it cooks. Dometic fridge works as expected. I have never owned a Norcold fridge so can't compare it to another brand.
Storage compartments have the grey rotocast which seems pretty strong so far and has handled anything I have put in it. I would of preferred slam latches on exterior doors but the traditional turn knobs work well.
If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sf-118981.html
Old 10-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Westbouond40, we have had our 2016 3011 for 16 months and are very happy with it. Only real issue we had was the Dometic 15K AC has been replaced twice. We have put about 6,000 miles on it, mostly with the TOAD and most of the time with the genset running.

As others have stated, the 2017 has many changes. The control panel is now electronic with it's own wifi which syncs with your phone. Sounds like a nice idea. However, many things have been changed or eliminated as stated in the above post. Also, the mirror on the wall next to the U-dinette is gone (I would not miss it...granddaughter loves to use it for fingerprints), the stove backsplash is only at the rear of the stove instead of on the side by the fridge. There is no longer a sprayer on the kitchen faucet. The backup camera monitor has been moved to the dash and replaced with a rear-view mirror which to me is useless except to see who is walking around in the coach. The Dyson has been eliminated and I would imagine the 110 volt receptacle in the right rear compartment where it was mounted is gone (somebody needs to verify). The cabinets are no longer raised panel (I guess you can used to it).
Also, I am not sure about this but I think the 5th drawer in the bedroom is gone which was twice as deep as the others.

All in all I still think you can't go wrong with the Forester, just glad I got mine when I did. One option you have would be to find a late model 2016 with everything you want. Some people buy a "C" and realize they wanted an "A".

I am not sure where you are located but Alliance RV in Wildwood, Fl has a 2016 with full body paint, theater seats and I think the outside TV with 8,000+ miles on it. The MSRP on the 2017's have gone up a few thousand dollars so you might save a bunch getting a gently used 2016.

2016 Forest River FORESTER 3011, Wildwood FL - - RVtrader.com

I also notice they have a 2017 which does not have the mid-year model changes but has the 2 door fridge http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Alli...1DSF-118884474
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Here's where everything is located on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymtncamper View Post
We have a 2017 Forester 3011DS. It was advertised with a porcelain toilet. It is a plastic toilet. When I contacted Forest River, they said it was probably a production change. Does anyone out there have a 3011DS with a porcelain toilet? Also there are 2 light switches in the bathroom. One controls the light in the bathroom and the other one doesn't do anything. And lastly there is a light on the driver's side outside wall. It looks like the porch light at the entrance. Does anyone know where I turn that light on?
Thanks for you help.
We just purchased a Forester at the Hershey RV Show and they said that the porcelain toiled was changed to plastic. It was a mid year production change. In the brochure it lists a porcelain toilet. Also on ours, the second light switch in the bathroom controls the exhaust fan, but the black button located on the fan must be pushed off to transfer control to the light switch. Also on ours there are two digital touch control pads for the lights and everything else. Under the light tap there are buttons for all the lights, including the porch light. Hope this helps.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymtncamper View Post
Thanks for you help.
We ordered a new Forester in Feb of this year and discovered the same problem with the toilet. The on-line brochure at the time we placed our order said porcelain. After our unit was built and delivered to our dealer, we found out about the change. I immediately called the owner of RV Wholesalers (our dealer) letting him know that we DID NOT want the plastic toilet. Within 30 minutes he called me back and said that a porcelain toilet was on the way to his dealership and they would install it in our motorhome the next day. When we went to take delivery in May, sure enough we now had the correct toilet. They asked us if we wanted to take the plastic toilet with us...I was kind of surprised, but I said sure, why not. Once we got home, we put it on a Craigslist ad and sold it to the first caller for $50 !
I don't know if your dealer would honor the brochure listed toilet and do the same thing, but you might try. Good Luck
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #11

I have a 2017 3011 DS also. When we ordered ours they had porcelain toilets but when delivered they were plastic. After reviewing our weight capacities, I decided not to make an issue of it, figuring I could save some weight with the plastic. We have two switches in the head, one for the lighting the other for the fan. My drivers side light outside light switch is on the control panel.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #12

Westbound40 We have 2017 3011 DS. We pretty much had the same shopping experience as SGTLM17, Coachmen or Forrester? We ordered the Forester, and no regrets. Ditto everything he told you. So far we have had only minor issues, mostly understanding the systems. We love our Forrester and have no regrets.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

I went on a factory tour of the Forester Class C plant in August. I specifically looked at the stack of toilets fixing to be installed in the units. They were all plastic ones. I said to myself, well that answers the question of what toilets they are installing now. No porcelain ones anywhere.
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #14

If you feel the need to have a porclin toilet you can get one they may have changed to plastic for weight saving.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket City Gary View Post
I went on a factory tour of the Forester Class C plant in August. I specifically looked at the stack of toilets fixing to be installed in the units. They were all plastic ones. I said to myself, well that answers the question of what toilets they are installing now. No porcelain ones anywhere.
That's interesting... perhaps weight and cost?
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch