Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Lippert MyRV OneControl Hate to say "I told you so"!

So we're heading to Savannah when my husband's oxygen concentrator sounds its alarm. (It's hooked into a post-installed inverter) I grab an oxygen tank and the portable low flow concentrator and get him on them. (He's driving, by the way) We find a mall to pull into and find that there is no power to the inverter....or the MyRV, or anything! Fortunately we had enough tanks to get us the 2 further hours it took. Because everything operates off the MyRV computer panel, when we get to our campground (at night) we can't set up until we fix the problem. We have a 2017 2501ts which means we have no access to our bed or clothes. On a more frightening note, my back up to the O2 tanks was the generator....which we can't start without the MyRV panel!!! I later found the manual switch on the generator behind a panel. After diagnosing the problem being a self resetting breaker in the battery box that never self reset, my husband came up with the idea of getting the jumper cables from the car and hooking the positive battery terminal to the positive post on the back of the battery switch (which to get to you have to remove the front drawers and knock the garbage cabinet floor out with a hammer) That is how we have it rigged right now until we can fix it permanently. If we order it from a local auto store it's $50 to $75 and I can replace it while here. If we order it online it's $10 but I will be replacing it in NY in sub zero temperatures. It is a warrantied item if I want to take it to the shop and wait a month or so for it to be fixed.

Having no manual backup to a computer controlled system is hugely problematic. Especially if you have special needs (medical problems) If my husband wasn't good with electronics, we'd have been screwed! He may have ended up in the hospital! I always say, "Have a backup plan. Then have a backup to your backup!"
Medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #2

I don't know all the details of this tablet control system, but the idea seems wacky. More glitz over function by the RV industry, it sounds like. I mean, what is the benefit???
Old 12-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I don't know all the details of this tablet control system, but the idea seems wacky. More glitz over function by the RV industry, it sounds like. I mean, what is the benefit???
X2

"It’s not always right to retain an old technology just because it works, but by the same token, it’s not always right to adopt a new one simply because it exists."

Frederic D. Schwarz

Give me a good old reliable switch every time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

UPDATE

After checking the breakers in the battery box, I found that it wasn't a self resetting breaker but that the button had barely popped. I had to take the battery out to see this because the overload button was on the bottom behind the battery. I took it off and turned it around so I could see it from now on without having to remove the battery (it's hard to get your fingers in and underneath). After all that, things still weren't working. So again I pulled off the plate for the battery control panel in the stairwell and tested all around. It ended up being the converter breaker needing reset. A tiny little black button on the left hand side. We still don't know what caused it to pop but we are making alterations that will hopefully prevent this in the future.
I tried posting pictures but I can't figure out how.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

So much of this new tech stuff is too sensitive to outside variables and has no backup procedure for when it fails. All these new vehicles with keyless ignition can be "killed" by outside sources along with a cell phone dependent public, that has no land line backup. Just saying...........
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic1 View Post
After checking the breakers in the battery box, I found that it wasn't a self resetting breaker but that the button had barely popped. I had to take the battery out to see this because the overload button was on the bottom behind the battery. I took it off and turned it around so I could see it from now on without having to remove the battery (it's hard to get your fingers in and underneath). After all that, things still weren't working. So again I pulled off the plate for the battery control panel in the stairwell and tested all around. It ended up being the converter breaker needing reset. A tiny little black button on the left hand side. We still don't know what caused it to pop but we are making alterations that will hopefully prevent this in the future.
Thank you for sharing this info, it could be very useful in the future. I am going to go out to the RV and look for these resets on my 2861.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad to hear you are getting this sorted out.

Many of these systems are becoming so technologically complex, it can be terribly disappointing when things don't work as planned. Bells & whistles are nice until they become party poopers.

Because we as a society have become so dependent upon technology, I believe it is more important than ever to have a full understanding of how these systems work and have an even greater understanding of what to do when they don't. Especially, if lives depend upon their proper operation.

There are literally hundreds/thousands of "this quit working, what do I do now" threads on this forum. I believe we all could take a better look at what we have invested in and be pro active in gaining an understanding of what will we do when whatever it is, craps out. Let's be honest... it's not IF it will crap out... it's WHEN.

Happy camping!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Have a smart phone? Install free Tapatalk app....works really easy for posting pics
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Glad to hear you are getting this sorted out.

Many of these systems are becoming so technologically complex, it can be terribly disappointing when things don't work as planned. Bells & whistles are nice until they become party poopers.

Because we as a society have become so dependent upon technology, I believe it is more important than ever to have a full understanding of how these systems work and have an even greater understanding of what to do when they don't. Especially, if lives depend upon their proper operation.

There are literally hundreds/thousands of "this quit working, what do I do now" threads on this forum. I believe we all could take a better look at what we have invested in and be pro active in gaining an understanding of what will we do when whatever it is, craps out. Let's be honest... it's not IF it will crap out... it's WHEN.

Happy camping!
I was raised 'old school'. We were taught the hard way to do things first, then allowed to do it the new fangled easy way.

Case in point: We had a run of tornadoes go through a few years back, power was off for under 72 hours. No problem for me and mine. We are prepared and have gas fired appliances at the house that can be manually lit. Generator to run the fridge, freezer and well. Plenty of food on hand, much of it canned for longer term storage. I have manual can openers too.

Neighbors up the street went to try and find a hotel. then griped because nothing was open. The local grocery stores around me can't sell food if the power is out because they can't ring anything up.

I am a serious belt and suspenders type of guy, and I carry spare suspenders!

The RV industry doesn't help much by rolling out half baked systems with little to no documentation and limited resources for sourcing repair parts, if they are even available to begin with. I don't have any issue with technology, it it great stuff, but don't become fully dependent on it.

I have seen people that had no clue how to open a can without an electric can opener.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Thank you for sharing this info, it could be very useful in the future. I am going to go out to the RV and look for these resets on my 2861.

We have a 2861DS on order and it comes with the My RVOne Control. If you would, could you share where these resets are when you find them?

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleysMom View Post
We have a 2861DS on order and it comes with the My RVOne Control. If you would, could you share where these resets are when you find them?

Thank you.
You can read the manual here:

myRV® Tablet

Man, I wouldn't want one of these. If I'm reading it correctly, you need the tablet just to turn on your bedroom light???

No thanks.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:

Thank you.
How are you getting a Chevy chassis on a 2017? Did Chevy start production again?
Is it the cut away van chassis or something else?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
How are you getting a Chevy chassis on a 2017? Did Chevy start production again?
Is it the cut away van chassis or something else?

Yes, Chevy started production again. It is the regular Chevy Express van used for Class C's.

It has been quite an ordeal. My husband will drive nothing but a Chevy. We sold our 2001 Class C Winnebago in September 2015 and in January 2016 we contacted numerous RV dealers trying to order a new Class C hoping for an early spring delivery but RV manufacturers were not making Class C's on Chevys because there were none to be had. We were told that Chevy had changed their production line from making the Express vans to the Chevy Colorado pickup truck.

I monitor the Forest River Class C Motorhomes Facebook page and messaged them in September asking when they would be making Class C's on the Chevy chassis again and they told me they were now available. We ordered the unit from RVW in mid-September. We were not too keen on ordering in September with estimated delivery taking 10 to 12 weeks (and maybe longer due to the holidays) because we knew that meant a trip from central New York State to RVW in Ohio in the winter weather. But we didn't want to wait until January of 2017 to order for an early spring delivery and find out there were no Chevys left - again.

At this point it wouldn't bother me if delivery didn't take place until March or April!

A long answer to your question!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, Chevy started production again. It is the regular Chevy Express van used for Class C's.

It has been quite an ordeal. My husband will drive nothing but a Chevy. We sold our 2001 Class C Winnebago in September 2015 and in January 2016 we contacted numerous RV dealers trying to order a new Class C hoping for an early spring delivery but RV manufacturers were not making Class C's on Chevys because there were none to be had. We were told that Chevy had changed their production line from making the Express vans to the Chevy Colorado pickup truck.

I monitor the Forest River Class C Motorhomes Facebook page and messaged them in September asking when they would be making Class C's on the Chevy chassis again and they told me they were now available. We ordered the unit from RVW in mid-September. We were not too keen on ordering in September with estimated delivery taking 10 to 12 weeks (and maybe longer due to the holidays) because we knew that meant a trip from central New York State to RVW in Ohio in the winter weather. But we didn't want to wait until January of 2017 to order for an early spring delivery and find out there were no Chevys left - again.

At this point it wouldn't bother me if delivery didn't take place until March or April!

A long answer to your question!
Not too long an answer and a good explanation. The Ford based Class C's are too small in the cockpit for me to be comfortable and for me the Chevy rides and handles better.

I hope you have an enjoyable and safe ride to pick up your new RV.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #16

pictures and problems

I'm going to try to figure out the picture thing and show where the resets are. And yes, to turn on the bedroom lights A) turn on the MyRV panel B)Push "My RV Panel C) push "lighting" D) push "Bedroom Lights" E)Push "On". You can link your smart phone to it and basically do the same thing but if you use your phone for anything else, you have to reconnect it to MyRV. We actually have an old iphone 5 that we use just for the MyRV controls. Now compare that to the old fashioned way to turn on the bedroom lights....A)click on the light....DONE! I'm all for technology but I'm a firm believer in "Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should."
Old 12-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_133325.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	126833Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_133330.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	126834Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_133339.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	126835Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_133355.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	126836Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_133432.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	126837
Old 12-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm going to try to figure out the picture thing and show where the resets are. And yes, to turn on the bedroom lights A) turn on the MyRV panel B)Push "My RV Panel C) push "lighting" D) push "Bedroom Lights" E)Push "On". You can link your smart phone to it and basically do the same thing but if you use your phone for anything else, you have to reconnect it to MyRV. We actually have an old iphone 5 that we use just for the MyRV controls. Now compare that to the old fashioned way to turn on the bedroom lights....A)click on the light....DONE! I'm all for technology but I'm a firm believer in "Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should."
You are pulling our legs, right?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #19

Picture explanations

On the back of that panel cover is the listing of all the devices and breakers. The first two pics are to show the location of our problem switch. The next picture: above the Battery Isolator Relay is the Converter Breaker. On the side of that little gray box is a tiny black button right behind that brass post on pic 4. You won't see it if it's not popped. That was our booger! Also, every one of those colored boxes has a tiny button on the end that could pop.

The last picture is from underneath the steps. It's that same box from the outside. If you look in the bottom corner of the pic, you will see a red fuse cover. There are several of these hidden underneath in various places and some are covered in the sealant they sprayed the undercoach with. I had to dig them out when the levelers stopped working one day. OH! AND if your Bigfoot leveling system stops working, find the big box near the back drivers side tire (You can tell by tracing where all the hydraulic hoses from the levelers lead too) Pull off the cover. Tucked in there is another 10 amp fuse holder. Mine was hidden behind a solenoid. I looked 3 times before I found it.

In the engine compartment is another breaker panel and under the front of our bed is the main breaker panel.

I'm sure as time goes on I'll be finding more! I really wish they had a complete wiring schematic on the finished coaches. It would be difficult though because of all the different coach models and different companies that build them and the systems therein.

My husband said "I think this thing has more breakers than Apollo 11!"

"Houston, we have fixed the problem!"
Old 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_152049.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	126845 This is the backside of that panel cover listing the devices inside.